2010 July GOTM - Pirates of Antarctica!

jpciv

Warlord
Antarctica has just been discovered, and you have landed in force to take over the continent for the greater glory of.. YOU!!

How to win? Simple. Despotic Conquest. Erh, maybe not so simple after all. You have to destroy 12 other civs with nothing more than what you brought with you.

There are NO shields anywhere on the continent - you can build NOTHING!

There is ONLY ONE goody hut, and it's at the South Pole. But if you watched John Carpenter's classic movie "The Thing" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/), you might want to leave the potential alien monster (barbarians) alone, LOL

You have 4 Dogsleds (chariots) in this dog-eats-dog world (pun very much intended!), and you also have 4 Mules (cavalry), 4 Pirates (phalanxes), and 4 Thiefs (diplomats). Oh, BTW, so does everybody else.

You can get around by Mule and Dogsled, or you can load up the Pirate Ship (transport) to move a little quicker. Or Both, more likely, since one ship sank on arrival, and not everyone will fit on the one remaining ship.

SPECIAL RULES / HINTS / HOW TO WIN:
- NO Save-game Cheat. You have to play the game with what you've got. If you lose a unit, it's gone forever, and CAN NEVER be replaced.
- No Settler Cheat. (Why? No Settlers!! That's why! Bwaaahahahahahahhhhaaaa!!!)
- No Auto-save-file-slot Cheat (same reason as no save game cheat)
- You have NO Tech, and neither does anyone else. Since you can't build anything, you might as well run your taxes to 100% - you might get lucky and get some defectors...
- Scores don't count in this game, fastest Emperor to Despotic Conquest wins. Save the game just before destroying your final enemy, and post your results

You start as Emperor Napoleon on a Peninsula. Happy hunting, and may you quickly become the Southern Lord of Darkness!!

Attachments

• CIVIL8.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 307
  • CIVIL8.MAP
    28.3 KB · Views: 337
Here are my end-game save files. It took about an hour of clock time to finish it, nice easy little adventure. (But I DID know in advance where everybody was, so a more likely time would be about 2 hours or so)

Spoiler :

I got a lot of help from the Barbarians along the way. I "thought" I had removed all of the goody huts but one, but maybe I didn't. Or maybe they were Sea Barbarians.

I was VERY surprised to see where the "re-born" civs founded cities. Big surprise to me, but they actually founded on Arctic squares. I didn't think the AI would do that.

One thing I did do, at the end, was use TerraForm to locate the "re-born" civs. Didn't feel like trudging all over the icecap looking for them, just to test the scenario.

So my time does NOT count, but I finished in 2740 BC, FWIW.

Attachments

• CIVIL0.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 329
  • CIVIL0.MAP
    12.9 KB · Views: 326
The map is very nicely drawn. The play time was some where in the hour and a half range. Towards the end it did get a little tedious trying to find the last opposing civilization. I was sailing around think there might be a Elephant or South Georgia island. I never did find the last one the barbarians finished them off. On a design note I was surprised that the games civilizations built cities on terrain that I wouldn’t have thought the would. I suspect a TerraForm flaw in the terrain city building flag. It ended in 860BC with a score of 178 percent.

My REPLAY.TXT follows
Spoiler :

Code:
                                     ... ....                                   
                                  .............                                 
                                  ..............   .....                        
                                 ........................                       
   ...                          .............. ..................               
   ...                          ................. ................ ..           
   ...                       ........................................           
    ......                   ..........+Peking......................            
     ...                    ..................................... ....          
     ...                    ........................................ ..         
      .....                ............................................         
          ...                  .........................................        
          .......       ...................+London.......................       
           ......       .........................+Zimbabwe....                  
          ... ...         ...........................................           
           .......           ..........................................         
          .........      ...............+Samarkand.......................       
           ......    ......................................................     
          ..................................................................    
          ..............+Rome........................................... ....   
         ....................................................................   
        .........................+Moscow.....................................   
        .....................................................................   
              ...............................................................   
              .....+Thebes...................................................   
              .......................    ............................+Sumer..   
              .....................        .................................    
               ...................           ..............................     
                 ...... ........              .............................     
                    ...... .....               ............................     
                    ...............            .........................        
                         ...  ...               .......................         
                                                ......................          
                                                 ............. .......          
                                                 ................ ..            
                                              .....................             
                                              ............... ..                
                                               ..   ............                
                                               ...   .......                    

4000 BC: Aztecs found the city of Tenochtitlan
4000 BC: Americans found the city of Washington
4000 BC: Greeks found the city of Athens
4000 BC: Indians found the city of Delhi
3980 BC: Romans found the city of Rome
3980 BC: Babylonians found the city of Babylon
3980 BC: FRENCH FOUND THE CITY OF PARIS       
3860 BC: Babylonians discover Ceremonial Burial
3860 BC: Babylonians found the city of Sumer
3840 BC: Greeks make peace with Babylonians
3820 BC: Sumer destroyed
3820 BC: Aztecs make peace with Indians
3800 BC: Americans discover Pottery
3780 BC: Indians discover Bronze Working
3760 BC: Greeks declare war on Babylonians
3760 BC: Indians make peace with Babylonians
3740 BC: Aztecs make peace with Babylonians
3740 BC: Americans make peace with Greeks
3720 BC: French make peace with Romans
3680 BC: French declare war on Romans
3680 BC: Rome destroyed
3680 BC: Roman civilization destroyed by French
3680 BC: French make peace with Aztecs
3660 BC: Russians found the city of Moscow
3660 BC: FRENCH DISCOVER THE WHEEL
3660 BC: French declare war on Aztecs
3660 BC: Tenochtitlan destroyed
3660 BC: Aztec civilization destroyed by French
3660 BC: Egyptians found the city of Thebes
3660 BC: Americans declare war on Greeks
3620 BC: Moscow destroyed
3620 BC: Russian civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
3620 BC: Roman civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
3600 BC: Athens destroyed
3600 BC: Greek civilization destroyed by Babylonians
3600 BC: English found the city of London
3580 BC: London destroyed
3580 BC: English civilization destroyed by Indians
3480 BC: French make peace with Indians
3420 BC: Babylonians make peace with Americans
3400 BC: French declare war on Indians
3400 BC: Delhi destroyed
3400 BC: Indian civilization destroyed by French
3400 BC: Mongols found the city of Samarkand
3360 BC: Samarkand destroyed
3360 BC: Mongol civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
3360 BC: Indian civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
3340 BC: French make peace with Babylonians
3300 BC: French declare war on Babylonians
3300 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE BABYLON
3300 BC: Babylonian civilization destroyed by French
3280 BC: Zulus found the city of Zimbabwe
3240 BC: Zimbabwe destroyed
3240 BC: Zulu civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
3240 BC: Babylonian civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
3200 BC: French make peace with Americans
3200 BC: Americans discover Alphabet
3060 BC: FRENCH DISCOVER MYSTICISM
3000 BC: FRENCH: 2 CITIES; 60,000 POPULATION
*** 1:French 2:Egyptians 8:Americans 
2860 BC: French declare war on Americans
2860 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE WASHINGTON
2860 BC: American civilization destroyed by French
2860 BC: Chinese found the city of Peking
2520 BC: FRENCH PRODUCE FIRST PHALANX
2520 BC: FRENCH DISCOVER IRON WORKING
2480 BC: Barbarians  capture Babylon
2000 BC: FRENCH: 2 CITIES; 90,000 POPULATION
*** 1:French 2:Egyptians 3:Chinese 
1740 BC: Peking destroyed
1740 BC: Chinese civilization destroyed by Barbarians 
1420 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE BABYLON
1260 BC: Washington destroyed
1000 BC: FRENCH: 2 CITIES; 40,000 POPULATION
*** 1:French 4:Egyptians 
880 BC: Thebes destroyed
880 BC: Egyptian civilization destroyed by Barbarians

I gave this quick try. Lost my chariots when attacking Rome.So I felt like giving up.I guess the scenario wasn't my cup of tea.But I'm waiting your August GOTM.Hope you stay forums long and post many scenarios and maps for us to play.

The map is very nicely drawn. ...

Thanks, but I wasn't very happy with it - somehow it got stretched. Later I figured out what went wrong...

I gave this quick try. Lost my chariots when attacking Rome.So I felt like giving up.I guess the scenario wasn't my cup of tea.But I'm waiting your August GOTM.Hope you stay forums long and post many scenarios and maps for us to play.

That's too bad, haha! It was just a quick-n-dirty that I thought up and created all in the same day. Mainly just playing around with TerraForm.

But Hannurabi, you were the inspiration for Anarctica, sort of.

When you posted your New Earth Map, it got me thinking about how to use the "read map gen" feature to make custom maps.

So I grabbed a random image from the web:
http://www.ausshipping.com.au/uploads/antarctica-political-map.jpg

Copied it via right-click and pasted it into a New Document in MS Word 2003

Then I formatted the picture like this:

1. Format > Picture > Advanced > Picture Position > UNCHECK "Move object with text"
2. Format > Picture > Advanced > Text Wrapping > Behind Text

Then I set the font to Courier New and typed 80 "o" characters wide and 50 lines high

Then I grabbed the lower right-hand corner of the picture and resized it so it would fit under the text I just typed

Then I just edited it to "o" for ocean, and "t" for land.

Then I copied all the text and pasted it into Notepad. After I saved the file, I opened it with TerraForm and then made the Tundra ("t") just the border around the island and made the interior all Arctic ("a"), and cleaned it up just a bit

It came out very nice, but like I said, it was stretched. But I couldn't figure out why, it seemed what I had done was right. Later on, it came to me, the font wasn't "square"

So I played around with the font spacing, and this is the result (might be different in different versions of MS Word)

1. Format > Font > Size: 8
2. Format > Font > Character Spacing > Spacing: Expanded By: 4 pt

This version of Antarctica has a much more realistic shape (IMO) than the first one. You can see it from the attachment.

BTW, the August GOTM is posted - Enjoy!

Attachments

• Antarctica2.zip
    161.6 KB · Views: 296
I just started this, my city grow to 2 and I soon get money to buy a Settler.. is that cheating? not much that settler can do.. build another one... and then get more money and then diplomats can buy enemy armies or I buy militia? am I cheating?

I couldn't save before finished since Barbarian finished of the last one for me

2120BC
Found it funny that Paris was on grass land and you got so much money (I asked all civs and they gave happily) and I could buy settler and do forest on the grassland if I wanted ;)
Anyway with diplomats and money you are never lost :)

Spoiler :

... ....
.............. .....
... .............. ..................
... ................. ................ ..
... ........................................
...... .......................................
... ..................................... ....
... ........................................ ..
..... ............................................
... .........................+Peking.........
....... .................................................
...... +Thebes...............................
... ... ...........................................
....... ..........................................
......... ................................................
...... ................+London...............................
*Orleans..........................................................
..............+Rome........................................... ....
..............................+Samarkand.............................
....................... ............+Zimbabwe.......+Sumer..
..................... .........................+Moscow.
................... ..............................
...... ........ .............................
...... ..... ............................
............... .........................
... ... .......................
............. .......
................ ..
............... ..
.. ............
... .......

4000 BC: Aztecs found the city of Tenochtitlan
4000 BC: Americans found the city of Washington
4000 BC: Greeks found the city of Athens
4000 BC: Indians found the city of Delhi
3980 BC: Romans found the city of Rome
3980 BC: Babylonians found the city of Babylon
3980 BC: FRENCH FOUND THE CITY OF PARIS
3860 BC: Babylonians discover Pottery
3860 BC: Babylonians found the city of Sumer
3840 BC: Babylonians make peace with Indians
3820 BC: Sumer destroyed
3820 BC: Greeks make peace with Americans
3800 BC: Americans discover Ceremonial Burial
3800 BC: Indians make peace with Aztecs
3760 BC: Greeks make peace with Babylonians
3740 BC: French make peace with Romans
3720 BC: Greeks discover The Wheel
3640 BC: Romans make peace with Aztecs
3620 BC: Romans discover Alphabet
3600 BC: French declare war on Romans
3600 BC: Rome destroyed
3600 BC: Roman civilization destroyed by French
3580 BC: Russians found the city of Moscow
3520 BC: Americans make peace with Indians
3500 BC: Babylonians make peace with Americans
3460 BC: Moscow destroyed
3460 BC: Russian civilization destroyed by Greeks
3420 BC: Aztecs make peace with Americans
3420 BC: Americans discover Masonry
3360 BC: Aztecs make peace with Babylonians
3320 BC: French make peace with Americans
3280 BC: FRENCH PRODUCE FIRST SETTLERS
3220 BC: Athens destroyed
3220 BC: Greek civilization destroyed by Indians
3200 BC: French make peace with Aztecs
3200 BC: English found the city of London
3180 BC: Babylonians discover Writing
3160 BC: FRENCH FOUND THE CITY OF ORLEANS
3160 BC: London destroyed
3160 BC: English civilization destroyed by Barbarians
3160 BC: Greek civilization destroyed by Barbarians
3120 BC: Indians discover Bronze Working
3020 BC: French declare war on Aztecs
3020 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE TENOCHTITLAN
3020 BC: Aztec civilization destroyed by French
3020 BC: Egyptians found the city of Thebes
3000 BC: FRENCH: 2 CITIES; 80,000 POPULATION
*** 1:French 2:Babylonians 3:Indians 8:Americans
3000 BC: FRENCH PRODUCE FIRST CHARIOT
3000 BC: French make peace with Indians
2940 BC: Americans discover Code of Laws
2880 BC: French make peace with Babylonians
2840 BC: French declare war on Indians
2840 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE DELHI
2840 BC: Indian civilization destroyed by French
2820 BC: Mongols found the city of Samarkand
2760 BC: Babylonians discover Mathematics
2740 BC: FRENCH PRODUCE FIRST PHALANX
2740 BC: Samarkand destroyed
2740 BC: Mongol civilization destroyed by Americans
2720 BC: French declare war on Babylonians
2720 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE BABYLON
2720 BC: Babylonian civilization destroyed by French
2700 BC: Zulus found the city of Zimbabwe
2620 BC: Thebes destroyed
2620 BC: Egyptian civilization destroyed by Barbarians
2620 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE DELHI
2540 BC: Zimbabwe destroyed
2540 BC: Zulu civilization destroyed by Americans
2440 BC: French declare war on Americans
2440 BC: French make peace with Americans
2420 BC: FRENCH PRODUCE FIRST CATAPULT
2160 BC: French declare war on Americans
2160 BC: FRENCH CAPTURE WASHINGTON
2160 BC: American civilization destroyed by French
2160 BC: Chinese found the city of Peking
2140 BC: FRENCH PRODUCE FIRST MILITIA
2120 BC: Peking destroyed
2120 BC: Chinese civilization destroyed by Barbarians
2120 BC: American civilization destroyed by Barbarians

Nice work @jpciv ! So many out there probably have no idea that there was a Civ1 scenario making community, I sure as hell didn't until I first joined this forum a few years back lol! However it of course makes sense when there's excellent map & game editors out there like JCivED (although this predates that so presumably you used one of the old editors). I'm definitely gonna have to cover your work in my big scenario preservation project I'm working on!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ1-scenario-mod-preservation-project-log.672488/

I understand why you guys used CivDOS instead of CivWin (bad graphics & sound lol) however these days we have Honza's awesome DOS graphics CivWin mod and my Soundtrack Overhaul CivWin mod so I thought it would be fun to convert your excellent scenario to CivWin using the CivCracker map & game editor (which can convert save files from DOS to Win). CivWin also supports custom save file names which makes scenario sharing and collection organisation much easier! I've added it (along with your original DOS save files and a info text file crediting you) in a 7zip file to the CFC Civ1 downloads area along with Moddb & Internet Archive to ensure your work is never lost. Should you wish to make any updates or changes to the files just let me know. :)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/pirates-of-antarctica-scenario-civdos-civwin.29325/

As you'll see I got the admins to create a new Civ1 scenario downloads area to put them in! I also saw people posting here a while back this old GOTM sub forum should probably be renamed to a scenario creation forum since there hadn't been monthly activities in a long time so I got them to partially rename this forum too. :)

Anyway here's some screenshots showing your work with both graphics sets. Map is revealed just for the pictures to show how cool your work is but kept the window small (instead of an HD one) to avoid big spoilers.

Converted scenario with DOS graphics mod:

Converted scenario with original graphics:

Last edited:
Top Bottom