Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVFANATICS > News Updates

Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:22 AM   #1
Ginger_Ale
Lurker

Prerelease Civ5 Demo Confirmed

A few days ago, during the live recording of Polycast 100, it was confirmed that a demo of Civilization 5 will be available sometime before the release date, September 21 (for players outside of North America, three days later).

While the details of the arrangement were not made clear, users can likely expect something similar to Civ4's demo: the ability to play 100 turns of the game as one of four civilizations, along with a limited tech tree.

So, for those of you that can't wait 49 days for the full game, keep your eye out for a demo between now and then!
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Jimdigriz
Warlord

Great news!

This way ill be able to test it out on my ageing PC to get a 'feel' for it. Im going to have to buy a new PC anyway but it would be nice to get a trial run first.
Jimdigriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:50 AM   #3
spammikone
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Ale View Post
the release date, September 21 (for players outside of North America, three days later)
Three days later lmao. Did they forgot internet?

edit: Unless ofc it uses some kind of IRL authentication login system. lol
edit2: Oh crap it was game release date and not demo.

Last edited by spammikone; Aug 03, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
spammikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
eris
King

Now I have to wait impatiently for the demo as well as for the real game. I'm doing twice the waiting! Is this double torture really necessary?
Old Aug 03, 2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Johnny Be
Warlord

Old Aug 03, 2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Bobbtjoe
Emperor

Link to video.
Bobbtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 12:45 PM   #7
TheDS
Regular Riot

I hereby throw down the gauntlet to find a way to win the game in 100 normal-speed turns. (Note, since they may disable winning in the demo, the challenge will still be valid when the full game comes out.) I'm pretty sure there have been wins that quick in Civ4, though not a lot.

My totally awesome website: Recent headline: Has Facebook become its own Worst Enemy?
Pithy saying: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
CanuckSoldier
Emperor

Yes I posted this info here as well as a couple other tidbits

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=372263

CS
As our Founder, WarningU2 stated, "My main objective you have to remember was just to play a game to its conclusion and while doing so, to have fun"
Civplayers Steam Chat steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902
CanuckSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:34 PM   #9
CustodianV131
Prince

Nice!

I think that this upcoming weekend would be a great moment to hit the world with the demo! (Not at all to do with me having my summer-break that following week, honest...)
CustodianV131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Dark_Jedi06
"Deus ex Machina."

Excellent!

Now just tell me there's a killer in-store preorder bonus at Gamestop and I'm set.

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means
of speeches and majority decisions, but by iron and blood."
~Otto von Bismarck
Dark_Jedi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:31 PM   #11
D712
His Imperial Majesty

I hope that they release the date soon. PLEASE LET IT NOT BE SEPTEMBER 14TH! I would die
D712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 03:32 PM   #12
helpless_writer
Warlord

I hope they make people use Steam to show its not all that bad
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:08 PM   #13
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

...never...

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Zhahz
PC Gamer

Very cool news. I'm sure I'll buy the release regardless but being able to get an early taste will rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless_writer View Post
I hope they make people use Steam to show its not all that bad
Doubt it, they'll want to suck people in without letting them know they have to run unnecessary and potentially invasive third party software. It's less about good vs bad and more about being forced to use something many people don't want or like.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:23 PM   #15
LegendJRG
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhahz View Post
Very cool news. I'm sure I'll buy the release regardless but being able to get an early taste will rock.

Doubt it, they'll want to suck people in without letting them know they have to run unnecessary and potentially invasive third party software. It's less about good vs bad and more about being forced to use something many people don't want or like.
Invasive - Nope afraid not the Steam app uses minimal resources, especially in today's standards. As for privacy you control all info Steam can acquire going as far as to email support and have certain features disabled such as tracking how long you play what if you feel that is invasive as well.

Unnecessary - No what is unnecessary is CD's and other forms of DRM. Steam is so much more reliable and less punishing than any other DRM. Break a CD? Buy a new game. HD wiped or on a new comp? D/L your game from steam with the options of all your saves even for some games.

Like and dislike are opinions above stated is fact though I will agree there are downsides especially if their server is down and you cannot login to even go into offline mode which is a bad feature as you should be able to start offline mode as a separate client. My only complaint with Steam which I was once very skeptical of but have come to enjoy. And before someone states that emailing support is too much of a hassle I would venture to say you waste more energy worrying about invasive programs then it would take to solve your issues of said invasiveness.

As for the demo, great can't wait!
LegendJRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Darth Fred
Prince

LOL

F
Darth Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 10:02 PM   #17
DanQ
Deity

Lightbulb More Info

One of PolyCast's return guest co-hosts asked Firaxis Games Executive Producer Barry Caudill begin_of_the_skype_highlightingend_of_th e_skype_highlighting if there was going to be a CivV demo released before the game itself. His answer was "yes there will". I then asked in follow-up a few moments later if it would be similar to CivIV's: [X] number of turns with a selection of [X] number of civs. CivV Producer Dennis Shirk answered this as "it's gonna be basically the full game just locked down for time".

Whether this means most if not all CivV civs will be available to play during whatever the given timeframe is not clear; there was also no indication if let alone how the technology tree will be affected, as was the case with CivIV's as GA mentioned in his opening post.
>> PolyCast Episode 205, ModCast #50, TurnCast #47 -- One More Turn Episode 13
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:23 AM   #18
Merkill
Chieftain

wow a demo of a big game that comes before the game , i cant even remember when that happended to a game i was intrested in last.

Very nice of them.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:25 AM   #19
DalekDavros
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless_writer View Post
I hope they make people use Steam
Fairly likely, I'd say. For one thing, if Steam is really integrated in the ways that they say it is, making a non-Steam version wouldn't be trivial (they could replace all calls to the SteamworksAPI with stub functions, but this might cause weird behavior in some places). For another, they probably have a contract with Steam forcing them to do this. Plus, Steam already provides a good distribution system for something like this. And seeing as they'd gain basically nothing by removing Steam from the demo...
DalekDavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:57 AM   #20
LegioCorvus
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhahz View Post
Trust me, outside of this very small and niche community, Steam is very popular.
LegioCorvus is offline   Reply With Quote