Can I remove the "Fort" improvement?

DanaLea

Prince
Supporter
I'm running the PC version (on a Mac; Bootcamp) with all three expansions, BUFFY and Blue Marble.

Can I disable the Fort tile improvement? I don't use them, don't like them, and don't want them. I automate my workers after I have micromanaged them to get the basics of what I want around my cities. And I do set, "leave old improvements" (or whatever the wordage is). But my workers really like to build forts.. everywhere. And I have caught them tearing down something to build one (even when the options are set not to).

So, can I disable them?

I'm not a modder, but I can manage simple changes with clear enough instructions (I changed all the voices to English for example).

If I can, can someone post some simple to follow instructions? Thanks!

-Dana

Open Civ4UnitInfos.XML and find the Worker and remove the build option.

Make a copy of the original file before you edit it.

should be here: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

But not sure if the path structure changes on a Mac.

As Kiwitt suggests, make a backup of everything before you change it. I also would ask you to take a serious look at the forts and perhaps instead of deleting the build queue, examine how you could change it so the automated workers may not want to build it as easily.

ok, found the file and found the part to remove for the fort... I'm open to taking "a serious look at the forts", but no idea how or where. Maybe I just don't understand their uses, but I see them as a military only type thing and I'm a serious peacemonger. :) From the code I don't see where the AI chooses what to build, just the list of possibilities. (I wonder how you comment out the code rather then remove it?)

-dana

The forts should appease you if you are more of a peacemonger than a warrior since they provide an excellent fortification for the resources underneath. If a fort is built over a resource, you gain it as if it was a mine and it also provides a bonus to troops positioned on it (in case the AI tries to take it from you).

The only thing you lose with a fort is the 2 extra hammers you would gain from the mine. So in peaceful areas, a mine is preferable.

Look at the FLAVOR of the building and see if it can be lowered.

The forts should appease you if you are more of a peacemonger than a warrior since they provide an excellent fortification for the resources underneath. If a fort is built over a resource, you gain it as if it was a mine and it also provides a bonus to troops positioned on it (in case the AI tries to take it from you).

Wait, what? If you build a fort over a resource you get it?

Wait, what? If you build a fort over a resource you get it?
Yes that is correct as a fort has the "actsascitty" tag at 1,so you gain a resource on the tile on which it is built like a city, plus the defence bonus of a city, the heal rate of a city as well as aircraft and ships that can be based there like a city. My view would be though that you maybe a peacenik DanaLea73 but why deny a valuable resource to civs that are not?

That is what I was told by the J -- he said that the tooltip is wrong and should be changed. Forts act as a city, and just as a city gains access to resource bonuses so does the fort.

I would like confirmation on this because up until just a week ago I never thought a fort did that, but the discussion we had in a different post seems to suggest this.

Hmmm ... Could it be you get the resource, but not the bonuses a mine or farm, etc. produces.

Hmmm ... Could it be you get the resource, but not the bonuses a mine or farm, etc. produces.

Exactly. A fort will produce the resource that it is on, but won't give the +2 food that a farm on a corn would produce. That means you should build farms over corn inside your Cities BFC, and forts outside, due to forts canal and defensive abilities. Which also means that the AI isn't quite as stupid as it seems. ;)

does this work if the resource is outside your boundaries? (can you build a fort outside those borders?)

No tile outside your cultural borders will provide you with resources, doesn't matter what kind of improvement you build on it.
A fort simply doesn't act as a city when outside borders. You get the defensive bonus if you have land units inside but it won't act as a canal, you can't base air units there and I believe it won't act as trade node (connecting water trade network with land trade network) either. I could be wrong on the last point though, never tested.

Exactly. A fort will produce the resource that it is on, but won't give the +2 food that a farm on a corn would produce. That means you should build farms over corn inside your Cities BFC, and forts outside, due to forts canal and defensive abilities. Which also means that the AI isn't quite as stupid as it seems. ;)
So if you build a city on a resource, you also get the resource, but not the bonuses ?

An interesting twist to this that I found when I first made my Outpost Tower, and it was copied from the fort, is that you could build a string of forts from one coast to the other and ships could sail through them.

I had a friend on an Earth map that built a row of forts from the Sea of Japan all the way to the Black Sea and his ships could sail through through them, cutting down on his time immensely -- plus the ships were protected all along the way.

I have now added Oil to a couple of my Ruhr cities in my mod to represent "Synthetic Oil Plants" that were based there.

There's a thread in the strategy section all about forts in BTS, which is good to look at.
Plus, there's a very good use for forts as a kind of 'trading post'. If, say, you have a resource in your BFC, but not on the same landmass (the resource is on an island), you need to hook up the resource to a fort in order to connect it to your civ.
Actually, the BFC is irrelevant. A resource in your borders but not on a connected landmass needs either a city or a fort to connect it. A fort may be desirable as it may be impractical to have a city there.
Can't remember, can forts be bombed? If not, thats a good reason to build them (they can be destroyed by spies I'm sure tho..)
And you can prebuild a fort on a tile (say an oil well) leaving only 1 turn on it, so if an enemy bombs the improvement, you can wack a worker there, finish the fort and keep access to the oil (very important :D)
someone mentioned canals too - there are situations where this is more useful than living in a furnished home.
basically forts have improved in BTS, so its wise to use them well :)

Top Bottom