Russian Transport/Gunship Helicopter: Mil Mi-8

snafusmith

Unit Maker
The Mil Mi-8 (NATO reporting name "Hip") is a medium twin-turbine transport helicopter that can also act as a gunship. The Mi-8 is the world's most-produced helicopter, and is used by over 50 countries. There are numerous variants, including the Mi-8T which is armed with rockets and anti-tank guided missiles, in addition to carrying 24 troops. The Mil Mi-17 export version is employed by around 20 countries; its equivalent in Russian service in the Mi-8M series. The naval Mil Mi-14 and attack Mil Mi-24 are also derived from the Mi-8. The Mi-8 remains in production in 2009. - Wikipedia

This pack includes skins for Russia, India, Mexico (for Aztec), Egypt, Cambodia (for Khymer), and Iraq (for Sumer/Babylon). A button is included for each civ.

This unit uses custom animations, please make sure to point to the correct files in your XML.

NOTE! The Mi-8 uses different animations from the gunship - instead of firing guns it shoots rockets. You'll need to install a new effect (Effect_Gunship_Rocket) in your Assets\Art\Effects folder, and add the following to the CIV4EffectInfos file:

Spoiler :

<EffectInfo>
<Type>EFFECT_GUNSHIP_ROCKET</Type>
<Description>Gunship rocket effect</Description>
<fScale>1.0</fScale>
<fUpdateRate>1.0</fUpdateRate>
<Path>Art/Effects/Effect_Gunship_Rocket.nif</Path>
<bIsProjectile>1</bIsProjectile>
<fSpeed>500.0</fSpeed>
<fArcValue>0.0</fArcValue>
</EffectInfo>

DOWNLOAD HERE!

ENJOY!
-Snafusmith

You are on a roll, I wonder how many more units you have queued up :D

You are on a roll, I wonder how many more units you have queued up :D

I've got these units (see spreadsheet) queued up. The problem is, I don't know which to make next. I'm trying to focus on civs and units that will be the most used (i.e., the model can be for more than one civ, just a different skin). I'm actually at a road block - I can't decide what to make next. Any requests from this list?

Attachments

• Units.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 253
I assume everything with a green background has already been made (e.g. all tanks as part of your tank pack a while ago). On the other hand I don't think I have seen the Eurocopter and Mil Mi24 from you recently. (The only Eurocopter I am aware of was from The Coyote).

So if that means they are done / close to done, I'd probably simply go with those next.

If you want the most bang for the buck (i.e. skins for the same unit) M109 seems to be a prime candidate at 9 ;)

Excellent!

M109 is a good choice.
I believe we have very good Hinds, so that's not needed.

Mobile SAMs could also come next, we lack diversity on that unit type.
I could also use an updated Il-28 for quite a few civs.

@mamba - Yeah, the green is stuff that's done (I've made or some else has, and it meets my standards). The M109 is a good suggestion, there's not much options out there for mobile arty.

@avain - I know all about the Hind's out there - I made them! You do make a good point with the SAMs, although I'm on an aircraft streak right now - maybe the Il-28 instead.

Thanks guys, this helps!

Thanks for another great unit!

I think that vanilla mobile artillery is M109 Paladin, same as vanilla SAM - MIM-104 Patriot so there is no need to do them.

Any new anti-air unit will be nice but if you are on an aircraft streak I request Tu-22 or Su-17.
It will be also great to see new heli - AH6 Little Bird or - not from the list - UH-60 Black Hawk and CH-53 Super Stallion.

You have on your list AH-1 Cobra. Maybe you could do AH-1 Super Cobra - its twin-engine younger sister? It will be nice to have possibility to upgrade a vanilla gunship (Cobra) to Super Cobra.

I think that vanilla mobile artillery is M109 Paladin, same as vanilla SAM - MIM-104 Patriot so there is no need to do them.

Any new anti-air unit will be nice but if you are on an aircraft streak I request Tu-22 or Su-17.
It will be also great to see new heli - AH6 Little Bird or - not from the list - UH-60 Black Hawk and CH-53 Super Stallion.

You have on your list AH-1 Cobra. Maybe you could do AH-1 Super Cobra - its twin-engine younger sister? It will be nice to have possibility to upgrade a vanilla gunship (Cobra) to Super Cobra.

I till plan to make the M109 and Patriot, just because I want to. Also, those units in civ still look funny to me (as do all the firaxis modern units).

I'm tempted to make the AH6 little bird, just because it would be fun... you might see that sooner than some of the others. As for the AH-1, I haven't decided which to make yet.

I would say artillery or mobile artillery; there is so very few of them out there.

There is a couple smaller ones on The-Blueprints but they are at best, front, rear, and side. Perhaps, if you had a separate top view, you could piece one together?

Sorry guys, but I won't be around for a little while - RL is back. I'm still making units and could be back w/in a couple weeks. I've got some more vehicles waiting to be finished, here's a preview of the latest, the Soviet BTR152 APC:

Top Bottom