Civilization 5 - Social policies partial infos from strategy guide

From Arioch's:

Tradition +1 Food per turn in the Capital.
Aristocracy: +33% production bonus for Wonders.
Oligarchy: +33% combat strength for military Units fighting within the empire's borders.
Legalism: Reduces unhappiness from population in the Capital by 33%.
Landed Elite: 33% faster population growth in Capital. (requires Oligarchy, Aristocracy)
Monarchy: Purchasing tiles is 50% cheaper. (requires Oligarchy)

From Game Guide:

Tradition +2 Food per turn in the Capital.
Aristocracy: Wonders take -33% time to construct.
Oligarchy: Culture border growth doubled.
Legalism: -33% unhappiness in Capital City.
Landed Elite: +50% growth rate in Capital City.
Monarchy: +20% combat strength to units within the empire's borders.

So, you see, some similarities, but also some significant deviations.

From Arioch's:

Tradition +1 Food per turn in the Capital.
Aristocracy: +33% production bonus for Wonders.
Oligarchy: +33% combat strength for military Units fighting within the empire's borders.
Legalism: Reduces unhappiness from population in the Capital by 33%.
Landed Elite: 33% faster population growth in Capital. (requires Oligarchy, Aristocracy)
Monarchy: Purchasing tiles is 50% cheaper. (requires Oligarchy)

From Game Guide:

Tradition +2 Food per turn in the Capital.
- I believe this is the correct one.

- that's just re-wording the same thing is it not
Legalism: -33% unhappiness in Capital City.
- again its just a re-wording
Landed Elite: +50% growth rate in Capital City.
- Looks like a number balance, not sure which is correct, but i'd go with the 33%

Oligarchy: Culture border growth doubled.
Monarchy: +20% combat strength to units within the empire's borders.

As for these two, its the same as the above but swapped around, simple rebalancing I guess.

So, you see, some similarities, but also some significant deviations.

Not really, most of it is re-wording, two numbers were tweaked, and two policies have swapped names and positions on the tree, however this also could just be an error on the guides part.

Text - ^^

Reasonable to assume both can be right at different times - or even that both can be wrong at the same time.

I find it odd that the guide would not include pre-requisite information for the policies...

Reasonable to assume both can be right at different times - or even that both can be wrong at the same time.

I find it odd that the guide would not include pre-requisite information for the policies...

I'd think it would have the pre-requisites in picture format (showing the trees), so that it wouldn't be necessary to say it in text. I don't have the guide, though, so that's a guess.

- that's just re-wording the same thing is it not

Actually, it's not the same thing, because the percentages are referring to different base quantities. Consider an example of a wonder that costs 1000 with you producing 10 per turn. If you get a 33% bonus, you produce 13.3 per turn, and it takes 100/13.3=75 turns to build. If the cost is dropped 33%, it now costs 667, and it takes 667/10=67 turns to build. So, the version in the strategy guide would be more powerful. However, I think it's more likely that Arioch's version is correct (since that's how it's worked in previous Civs) and that the editors of the guide just didn't realize that the two versions weren't the same thing.

I have a basic question about social policies:

Do I get this right? Whoever is first to discover/buy/get at one fo those "trees" like tradition e.g., will be provided with a unique bonus like eg. 1 more food per turn in your capitol plus the ability you chose, but all the other don't get that bonus and only the ability? That would mean a big and unlimited bonus to those who are first to switch any ability of one of those S.A.-trees free. I hope I am wrong about that, because otherwise...

Whoever is first to discover/buy/get at one fo those "trees" like tradition e.g., will be provided with a unique bonus like eg. 1 more food per turn in your capitol plus the ability you chose, but all the other don't get that bonus and only the ability?
No, everyone gets them when the purchase the unlock for that tree.

The people writing the strategy guide could have reworded or changed anything. They arent completely accurate, wait until the 21st and read the civilopedia instead. Just 3.5 more days left (longer for me :().

More to the point, the strat guide will be based on a very old build. Things probably changed a lot in the last month or so of balancing/polishing.

I'd imagine the game guide is mostly right but its till subject to change, it would have gone to print some time ago.

Top Bottom