Civ I Complete on 64-bit?

ButSam

King
I have Civ: Complete (I-IV, with I-III complete and IV vanilla), plus both expansions for IV, and a pre-order for V. I also would've gotten Rev but then they killed off that version :(

To kill time before the release of Civ V, I am re-hashing the good ol' days. But I found out when I tried running Civ I, I got the annoying "this is a 32-bit program and you're on a 64-bit machine" Windows error, which usually doesn't actually affect program operation but I have no idea how to bypass that. I do vaguely recall somehow making Civ I work, perhaps even on a 64-bit machine...but how?

Please help!

64-bit Windows versions lack the 16-bit subsystems required to run DOS and 16-bit Windows programs. Your options are:

• Run in Windows 7's XP Mode, which is available only for the Professional and Ultimate editions
  • Install Windows 3.1x in DOSBox or on top of DOS inside a VM system like VMWare or VirtualBox
  • Install a 32 bit version of Windows either natively or in a VM system like VMWare or VirtualBox
  • Theoretically use Wine against Cygwin to perform double API translation (not recommended)

Shucks :( Unfortunately even though I have Pro it isn't doing it when I set the compatability mode. I do have a machine with Ultimate on it, maybe I'll try that; otherwise, I'll go to Civ 2 Test of Time and have that fill my retro urge.

A most helpful thread indeed, gentlemen.

I have the 64 bit Home Premium version of Windows 7, so I am stuck with he middle option (Windows 3.1 under DOSBox). I managed to install Windows 3.1 from my old floppy disks (who must have rubbed their old eyes at being called to duty once more) in DOS Box, but I am having trouble telling the system to play sounds and use 256 colors. Civ for Windows in 16 colors is more nostalgia than I can cope with.

Is there any known advice on this?

I'm running Win7 64bit. I'm using Dosbox and whenever I open up a city, I get a physical dump of memory, and the game halts. Anyone else have this problem? I have a similar machine at work (win7 64) and don't have this issue at all. I've tried removing/reinstalling everything, but no luck.

I'm running Win7 64bit. I'm using Dosbox and whenever I open up a city, I get a physical dump of memory, and the game halts. Anyone else have this problem? I have a similar machine at work (win7 64) and don't have this issue at all. I've tried removing/reinstalling everything, but no luck.

Which version are you playing? Windows version or DOS?

Try editing DosBox's config file. There should be a line somewhere near the top with "memsize=16" I would suggest trying to edit the number 16 to 32 and see if that improves it for you.

Thanks Dandenoth. That didn't work specifically, but installed a second copy of Doxbox into a new directory in ProgramFiled x86, and that seems to have resolved it.

It's probably technical to the point where it's more worth your while to seek a DOS copy, which is easier to get running, or a secondary PC, as you said, than to stand up Windows inside a virtual machine.

I see. Well, I was able to start the game, after a few tries, on my old computer with Windows XP. But just like in the 90's, I wasn't able to install it. I can still play it, but it's annoying that I can have at most four save files, the save files end up directly on C: making it cluttered, and the Hall of Fame doesn't save anything.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere already, I searched a little but didn't find anything. How do you install Civ 1 on XP? Is it even possible? When I click the install icon, a DOS window appears but then closes down again within a second.

Top Bottom