The worlds two largest EVER empires not in game??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modified77

Chieftain
The British empire is the largest ever empire the world has seen and not in game( and I don't think including the English empire will keep all Scots happy). Secondly the Mongol empire was the largest land based empire ever and not included. But the real kill is that America is in ther correct me if I'm wrong but what empire has America ever had? Does Hawaii and Alaska count as an empire?

I'm a pround Englishman and pround to be British and they are two very different things ask any Scotsman or Welshman

But the real kill is that America is in ther correct me if I'm wrong but what empire has America ever had? Does Hawaii and Alaska count as an empire?

America began as thirteen colonies on the Atlantic coast of North America. It has since spread west all the way to the Pacific, conquering many Native American tribes in its wake. If that's not an Empire (and if America's current global hegemony, with bases all across the world, is not something of an informal world empire) I don't know what is.

Secondly the Mongol empire was the largest land based empire ever and not included.

All signs point to Mongolia making an appearance soon.

The British empire is the largest ever empire the world has seen and not in game( and I don't think including the English empire will keep all Scots happy)… But the real kill is that America is in ther correct me if I'm wrong but what empire has America ever had? Does Hawaii and Alaska count as an empire?

The game is called Civilization. Not Empire.

This thread is over.

Plenty of the civilizations in this game never had massive empires. Siam never grew that large, and the Iroquois definately were not an empire.

Good answer. Only posted because I fancied a bit of America bashing because you've got the game and I havent

british empire = England

its like they would call Persia for Iran nobody would care its the same :):):):)!

No it isn't...

It's due to the fact that around the world Britain is often confused with England. And listening to some of the videos and commentaries recently from the folk who have created Civ it would seem that they don't seem to know much about history.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=5564

Read that and tell me again that America is not an Empire. Empires come in many shapes and forms. Just because we're not overtly "colonizing" other countries doesn't make us any less imperialistic. We have both military and civilian presence in large numbers across the span of the globe.

For good and/or for ill, America has had a HUGE influence on modern civilization, culturally, economically, and militarily.

America isn't an empire?

As an American, I take insult to that statement. :p

No it isn't...

It's due to the fact that around the world Britain is often confused with England. And listening to some of the videos and commentaries recently from the folk who have created Civ it would seem that they don't seem to know much about history.

Dude i know there was a diffrence duhu im just saying you can say its the same thing :p

I assume the OP is speaking of the difference between the Kingdom of England and what came to be the Kingdom of Great Britain with the union of the English and Scottish Kingdoms (And eventually what came to be known as the British Empire)?

I suggest we petition Firaxis to rename England, the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, defenders of the faith that we choose, rulers of France and Spain and others for certain suitable periods, counters of three and up to three, singers of Bono and players of fiddles, land of men who wear kilts and women who wear pants, eaters of fish n' chips, and possessors of the holy grail and discoverer of things that fall from trees."

Suitable?:D

They could put 100 civs in the game and someone would ultimately be unhappy that their pet civ didn't make the cut. That would quickly degenerate into America bashing and before you know it they'd be handing everyone those purple ribbons kids get for losing races in elementary school. "You're special too!"

Welcome to the internet. Land of the perpetually offended and the largest American fault generator in existence.

Of course, they would.........

In DLC :p

:mad::mad:

The British empire is the largest ever empire the world has seen and not in game( and I don't think including the English empire will keep all Scots happy). Secondly the Mongol empire was the largest land based empire ever and not included. But the real kill is that America is in ther correct me if I'm wrong but what empire has America ever had? Does Hawaii and Alaska count as an empire?

The most amusing thing about it is, England gets 4 mentions and Great Britain gets 11 mentions in the "England" part of the rulebook.

That should have rung a few alarm bells if nothing else.

There would never have been a British Empire without the Scots, at least nowhere near one where the "Sun never sets". In fact we'd almost certainly all be French because Napoleon would have had easy access to Britain through Scotland had Scotland and England not joined (under the Scottish King...isn't it amazing how easily that was forgot? :sad:)

It's particularly galling that a huge number of these Navy vessels so lauded in Civ were built on the Clyde Shipyard in Scotland, which at the height of the empire built more ships than anywhere else in the world. Oh well.

Not having the Mongols is even more of a joke however, relegating them to an expansion is a horrific mistake in terms of history. Yeah it's only a game, but these things should matter to anybody smart enough to play and enjoy the Civ games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom