I miss you, Soren... so much

Aristos

Lightseeker
Dear Soren,

I never thought I would miss someone I really don't know in person so much... yes, maybe I don't know you face to face, but I learned to know you through your best piece of work ever. Through multiple, complex decisions in every turn of that "old" masterpiece, I learned to see you, your mind, your history... I learned to see how a dreamer boy lived his dream, and let us live ours. In the end, I learned to find that same boy that played Civ1 in 1991, in myself.

I still have the excellent manual of the masterpiece you created. I like to read the last pages, remember those? The pages were you share your dreams with us, and how you followed them until they became a reality. What reality? A better Civilization game, produced by your own mind. Sometimes I think that those pages should be not part of a manual of Civ, but a manual to new developers trying to make their first steps in the industry. Perhaps, reading those pages of yours before attempting to "revolutionize" a proven genre, they would learn something, not only from a succesful developer, but also from us: the players.

And yes, perhaps that was your secret: you knew exactly what us, Civilization players, wanted, and you delivered. And man, how you delivered!

I miss you so much, Soren... I hope one day you return to the place that made you grow, and that you made grow... I hope one day you create your own company, and convince good old Sid to join you, because not everything is only about money, not when it comes to the expense of killing what is wonderful... money, in the end, is a byproduct of dreams that become a succesful reality. Sid knows that, and judging by your masterpiece, you know it too...

I look forward to that day. Perhaps then, I will, once again, insert a disc in my computer, install a new masterpiece of yours, and perhaps, only perhaps, say goodbye to your old one...until then, my unknown friend, until then...

Ricardo

Holy ****, is that real? Must be a parody of some kind.

Moderator Action: We do not allow swearing at Civfanatics or the use of symbols to represent swear words. This is a warning to you to edit your post. Swearing or triggering the auto censor will earn you points that can accumulate and earn you a "vacation" from the site. Please read the rules and do not swear. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Ricardo ,good old Civ boy ,U are not alone... Soren come back please.....

CIV5 sucks as hell...I'm a multiplayer fan and this game is a crap.How it is possible change a perfect game into a crap?

for console-kiddies

Mom! He said I'm a kiddie, and I like consoles!

I love how that's the ultimate burn around her. You have a post like:

"I really enjoyed Civ V"

And you get a response like:

"You Civ Rev lovin' piece of console licking trash! Go back to Mario and Halo, because a TRUE PC game, a PC masterpiece, a masterpiece of depth and strategy with numbers and graphs and charts, could never be appreciated and enjoyed by you! Go to your XBox, make love to your Wii, and have fun clicking the shiny magic controller buttons and waving you motion-sensing stick!"

I hope I'm not the only one who bought the Red Civ Anth Boxed Set. It comes with the "Making of Civ IV" DVD. The entire process for making Civ IV really is a fanatic's *** dream. It absolutely solidifies the worthiness of Soren to Sid's Legacy in the annals of time. In the meantime, however, still reserving judgment on V.

While that childlike wonder is an emotion I look for when opening any game, it's not a deal breaker. It's unfair to expect everything to gleam as gold. My one hope is that Civ V, full version, serves to be a good game rather than better than any of its predecessors and more importantly be satisfyingly worth it's new game price tag. Buyer's remorse can kill a franchise, but one game that falls just short of monumental expectations won't kill it; that is to say that if Civ V isn't TERRIBLE, it means we wait for Civ VI, but if it is HORRIBLE, we start looking for other franchises and forums to hang out on.

Hey ricki,

Did you hear that 2kgames is totally hearing all of your complaints about how Civ5 isn't like Civ4? They are releasing a fix immediately.

Check it out!

This is a public service announcement for PC elitists:

enjoy your DRM HAHAHAHAHA SUCKERS

Classic straw man argument:

"console kiddies"

So much irrational contempt all balled up into a phrase that really doesn't even mean anything.

A) Nothing wrong with consoles. You aren't special because you think they are for "kiddies".
B) No console would ever, ever have a game like Civ V. The input scheme and system resources it requires would make it completely impractical.

Use well conceived arguments instead of tossing this meaningless term out there.

kkthxbai

CIV5 sucks as hell...I'm a multiplayer fan and this game is a crap.How it is possible change a perfect game into a crap?

civ4 multiplayer was far from perfect

it's usually the community that determines whether the multiplayer is crap or not. there will always be unbalances, but game settings determine how much those will be exploited

the yardstick of good multiplayer is generally how much the game is about strategy instead of moving the quickest or getting lucky land. typical BTS community settings made the games very much about the latter and little about the former

Mom! He said I'm a kiddie, and I like consoles!

I love how that's the ultimate burn around her. You have a post like:

"I really enjoyed Civ V"

And you get a response like:

"You Civ Rev lovin' piece of console licking trash! Go back to Mario and Halo, because a TRUE PC game, a PC masterpiece, a masterpiece of depth and strategy with numbers and graphs and charts, could never be appreciated and enjoyed by you! Go to your XBox, make love to your Wii, and have fun clicking the shiny magic controller buttons and waving you motion-sensing stick!"

Facts are fact, Civ V looks, sounds and plays out a LOT like Civ Revolution. To me anyway... It has nothing to do with motion sensing sticks, controllers or anything else that makes a console a console. The game is not what the last one was like, it's not like the rest either, it's a streamlined, mainstreamed version designed to attract a new audience.

Some of you like it, great, but some of us don't. Why is that such a big issue?

Soren Johnson helped design Spore after he left Firaxis. If you feel like Civ 5 is dumbed down and strategically unsatisfying, you can always go play Spore.

Was Soren let go? Or did he not want to work on Civ5? Looking at Civ5's AI, and considering his Youtube speech on the topic of AI, I really do miss him, too.

But yes, the console generation and their needs affect PC gaming. It's not a new development, though.

Soren Johnson helped design Spore after he left Firaxis. If you feel like Civ 5 is dumbed down and strategically unsatisfying, you can always go play Spore.
He was hired in the late dev stages of the game. Isn't much of his fault the game sucked.

Top Bottom