Increased Tile Yields Mod

Huck Finn

Warlord
Increased Tile Yields Mod:

This is a simple mod to change the pace of the game, which I felt was GLACIAL in comparison to Civ 4 even on Marathon.

This mod is still a work in progress, so please keep that in mind, and also please give me feedback on your gameplay experiences.

Basically, rather than changing the game speeds, this mod effects the basic yields of the tile themselves. By doing this, two things are accomplished: 1. Units and buildings are built faster, making for a more exciting game, and 2. the location of your cities matters much more than it does in vanilla Civ5.

This mod is intended for use on Epic or Marathon speed.

There are currently three versions to choose from, all of which can be downloaded in the second post of this thread.

You must manually install files no. 1 & 2, to do this, simply extract the files into your:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Terrain

Directory.

MAKE SURE TO SAVE THE ORIGINALS BEFORE PUTTING THE MOD FILES IN THERE. IF YOU WANT TO RETURN THE GAME TO ITS VANILLA/NORMAL STATE, DOWNLOAD FILE NO. 3 AND EXTRACT INTO:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Terrain

Version 4 Description:

-Version keeps the production changes, a hill with a mine will net you 6 hammers, as oppossed to 3 hammers in vanilla. Lumbermills generate 1 food, 5 production.

-Food output is toned down from versions 2 and 3, a grassland farm with no water in vanilla Civ 5 nets you 3 food, in Version 4, it nets you 4 food. Special food resources like cows yield 5 food.

-Trade posts generate +1 gold from vanilla

-Ocean and coastal tiles now generate +1 gold to make them more lucrative.

-All Natural Wonders 4 production, 4 gold

-Strategic resources like iron all have a +1 production buff

-Tech research costs have been increased by 50% across the board for all gamespeeds.

-Wonder construction time has also been increased 50% across the board.

Let me know how you like it.

Files:

1. Tileyields.Zip = First version of the production tweaks, which roughly doubles the outputs of mines and lumbermills, as well as natural wonders. Again, this only changes PRODUCTION outputs, and nothing else. For manual install only. (See first post)

2. YieldsV2.Zip =
Second version, this changes production, while also raising food and gold output of luxury resources and trading posts. This second version dramatically changes the game, as oppossed to Version 1, which is more subtle. For manual install only. (See first post)

3. OriginalTerrainXML.Zip = These are the original Vanill CV5 XML files. If you mess up, misplace yours, or delete yours, simply download these, and extract to

this will restore you game to normal Civ 5.

4. Increased Tile Yields Mod (V3).rar =
This is basically the same thing as Version 2 of the mod, but this time in proper "Mod" format.

Version 3 allows the mod changes to easily be turned off or on from within the games mod menu. To install:

Simply drop this file into My Games/Civ5/MODS, and it will unpack into the appropriate folder next time you launch the game. (Big Thanks to Valkrionn!)

5. Version 4= Manual Install. Make sure to backup the two new files being replaced, Buildings and Gamespeeds.

Install the Six Xml files contained in the Terrains File (From the Zip) into:

Install the Buildings XML file into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Buildings

Install the Gamespeeds XML file into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Gameinfo

Attachments

• TILEYIELDS.ZIP
    3.6 KB · Views: 474
  • YieldsV2.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 518
  • OriginalTerrainXML.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Increased Tile Yields Mod (v 3).rar
    1.4 KB · Views: 879
  • Version4.rar
    22.7 KB · Views: 533
Do not ever replace your main game files. This isn't modding, its hacking your copy of civ5. It will cause you to be unable to play multiplayer games and will cause problems with all real mods (which require a stable base).

If you do want to implement this as a mod, you may want to halve the build and train time in the game speed file rather than modifying the terrain costs.

OOps... Is there any way to change this stuff in a more stable manner?

You need the mod tools to build and publish. Play with your own copy until then.

When they are released I'll personally help you build and package it, I'm not trying to scare you off modding (I want more modders, and I love the enthusiasm), I just dont want people breaking their copy of Civ5 and not understanding why other stuff stops working.

Understood! Thanks. I feel like a bit of a moron now. :blush:

Do you mean the SDK mod tools they are supposed to release later?

Understood! Thanks. I feel like a bit of a moron now. :blush:

No stress. Keep the enthusiasm, you will be a great modder when you get the tools. They didn't give you the hammer and nails yet and you already started building a house.

Do you mean the SDK mod tools they are supposed to release later?

Yeap.

Though much more easily fixed than ever before with "Verify Integrity" by Steam. It'll simply re download whatever you messed up.

EDIT: Was interested in this, I suppose the less computer savvy will benefit from not being given a hammer to smash their copy, but now I have to do it myself.

going to use this as a temporary fix, so thanks... Kael is right of course, but thanks to Steam, I'll just redownload the game once proper mods are out :)

edit: oh.. files gone qq

As far as I know, what I changed in the XML files wouldn't screw anything up beyond repair, it just wouldn't work in multiplayer. I play tested it with the altered xmls, no crashes or anything, then tried putting the old ones back in, and the old production values came back as well, no problems.

But I can see why it's frowned upon to have any mod that involves alterating/erasing the basic game data like that. I'm too used to Napoleon Total War mods where we do that all time.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait for the SDK. :)

Thanks for being gentle and not killing me tho guys!

+1, its even more of a hassle messing up a steam game, so for your own sake's NEVER touch the original files, except if your very carefully copying (not cutting!) them to use in a mod. I'm assuming civ5 will be the same as IV in that we'll only need to include the changed files (of course in the correct folders and correct hierarchy).

Very good idea for a mod though, I was thinking the same thing, why is is taking me 50 turns to build a courthouse on standard speed... kinda ridiculous, and way off the standard of pace set by the previous 4 titles.

+1, its even more of a hassle messing up a steam game, so for your own sake's NEVER touch the original files, except if your very carefully copying (not cutting!) them to use in a mod. I'm assuming civ5 will be the same as IV in that we'll only need to include the changed files (of course in the correct folders and correct hierarchy).

Very good idea for a mod though, I was thinking the same thing, why is is taking me 50 turns to build a courthouse on standard speed... kinda ridiculous, and way off the standard of pace set by the previous 4 titles.

I've never had a problem. You verify the integrity, it'll download the exact file you changed and it's done. As opposed to uninstalling the entire game and reinstalling it from a disc or trying to find someone who will upload their untouched copy. I don't see how it is a hassle in any way.

LET THAT MODDING SPIRIT THAT CANNOT BE QUENCHED GO FREE!!! RELEASE THOSE FILES!!!!:trophy3rd:

Alright, files are back up on my second post of the thread.

Remember to save the two original xml files! Store them in a safe place.

Otherwise, this should work fine! But use at your own risk!

Hopefully I don't get killed now by the uber-modders.

Thanks.. downloading (mainly to see how the AI does with it)

Don't feel bad Huck Finn, I was planning to do a similar thing, and I'm glad you took the opening barrage for me, and reminded me to post up a disclaimer.

To Kael/Valk: This isn't hacking the game files, this is how we modded games before developers got so nice with foldered mods and the ability to disable things. :lol: What are we supposed to do, wait until we get the SDK? :smoke:

Don't feel bad Huck Finn, I was planning to do a similar thing, and I'm glad you took the opening barrage for me, and reminded me to post up a disclaimer.

To Kael/Valk: This isn't hacking the game files, this is how we modded games before developers got so nice with foldered mods and the ability to disable things. :lol: What are we supposed to do, wait until we get the SDK? :smoke:

If they want to keep the SDK to themselves that's fine, I'm sure there is a reason for it like insane instability. But with Steam and the streamlined updating ability I don't see, from my perspective, a reason to withhold the SDK beta software.

I'm sure there are legitimate concerns but that doesn't make the rest of us feel any better. We'll have to direct mod until they release the tools, which could be months.

Top Bottom