Rage quitting AI

vranasm

Deity
Have another story about rage quitting AI.

I am playing Babylon on standart everything, King difficulty. We played somewhat peaceful game from ancient times to medieval times with Japan on our small and peaceful continent, in early ADs Japan took Warsaw and i decided to take Bucharest. I in the end managed thanks to cats.

That leads to situation where I have not enough happy (building colosseums in best cities) leaving me with 2 cats, 2 bows, some spears (like 2!) and 1 horseman.

After a time I looked for some nice trade option for my luxury resource... well interesting enough Japan decided that for my 1 luxury resource they will give me 15 gold, 3 their luxuries and open borders (hmm?).
i think they saw it somewhat as act of war in the end (they were probably better prepared for war then me), but from me it was just question...no pressure...just well you have spare luxuries, I have...let's trade!

Well not this time. Next turn I got DoWed! Boooy that was an army!
at least 3 samurais, 2 swords, 2 cats and 2 archers next to akkad... i was like wtf??!

Well I didnt panicked, upgraded horses to knights, with cap+2bows and 1 cat (the other was too far away) i killed samurai + weakened swordsman.

from east i had spearman upgraded to pikeman and hurrying to help the akkad (big help!).
he somewhat advanced...but well it's tough to fight humans bunkered in such way i was, so I totally decimated his attacking force in just 3 turns. Siege clears melee, melee clears his siege...

Well he tried 2nd wave... he sent lonely samurai to east city and from west of akkad.

Well i used near akkad scout to lure samurai in range of cat and had prepared knight in range. and to the east i sent bowman to just delay.

Luckily next turn he fell for the trap on the west killing scout... getting killed next turn with cat+knight (knights are btw awesome against sams from what I saw).

To the east another trap for samurais went on...he went for bow, i had built knight in akkad that turn and just killed the other one.

Well it seemed like "hey i did good, how many units he can have!"...so i went to diplomacy just to check what's going on.
To my surprise he was willing to talk peace! Hey lucky! So let's negotiate...

and I got this:

leading to this situation

So I think I can scream won?

That is a hell of a ragequit, and honestly I think a bug - I've had trouble getting AI's whose asses I've just kicked to give up 30 freaking gold, much less their entire empire.

worringly this is about the 3rd time i've heard someone report this problem

Arabia gave up their entire empire in the first game I played, after starting the war with a sneak attack.

Taking on his cities as puppets was the biggest mistake I made in that game. It brought my empire to a halt, as the puppets spent huge chunks of my budget on building maintenance, and I had to spend even more on happiness buildings to keep them content.

I had almost exactly that happen last night against America. My army was down to nothing, he could have easily kicked my arse. I asked for peace, was refused, and then two turns later America asked for peace, offering 2 of his 4 remaining cities, all his resources, etc etc. And he seemed happy while doing it as well!

I like your fish texture btw :)

@Tennyson
I think I will continue with game...just to see how to overcome this new form of crashed economy... in CIV it was critical to learn how to recover economy...so i will give it a go...

i took them all as puppets of course too :), maybe it's the plan of AI? I will crash myself with cities?

why is this a bug? It happened in my first (and only) game too. But it happened when i had taken over like 5 cities in a row. I just saw it as the Civ5 version of vassalage in a way.

Sean

What if its great AI thinking though? You suddenly get bogged down with all this maintenance and unhappiness then an ally of theirs comes along to liberate it all as well as attack you with a crippled economy?

edit:

I think all the resources are what are part of all the land he looses so that could be why the list is so long.

I've also noticed the AI has a somewhat buggy understanding of the value of deals. Adding or subtracting anything to a deal the AI proposes--even to make it more into the AI's favor--makes them refuse it and you have to cancel the menu and try again. Elizabeth kept refusing my counter-offer to her peace suggestion of a peace treaty with me plus my city state friends, because I agreed to her terms but offered to make peace with her city state ally too. For some reason she just wouldn't accept that. :lol: When I asked her what would make peace work, she kept saying nothing would until I closed the menu and then came back and asked for peace. Then she repeated her earlier terms.

worringly this is about the 3rd time i've heard someone report this problem
I don't know why this would worry you . . . it hasn't even been patched once yet. Plus, you can just turn it down if you don't think it's fair. Sure, in multiplayer it might give an unfair advantage if one of the AI civs gives up. But in general it's not really that big of a deal.

I have had this 'problem' as well - The AI seems stingy in negotiations when they are losing badly but during marginal wars they surrender everything.

Rat

I've had AI ragequit before too. I doubt that reaction is intended, and it always throws me off.

They don't always ragequit in the same way though, so there's some sort of calculation going on, just there may be a number off, for instance Siam didn't give in until I'd whittled down their army, and then they only gave up a couple of border cities.

All those resources are oslo's. Oslo must have been japans ally, so you were at war with them too. Once japan makes peace, so does Oslo. They like to give you x turns of their resources, but after the turns are up you loose them. You can tell who's stuff is a city state because it will have their name in the treaty and then list their stuff underneath it.

Rage quitting AI. I LOL'd IRL. :lol:

:lol: I think that's hilarious. Reminds me of playing boardgames with some volatile people... :)

In my game as Rome, I went to war with Montezuma in the ancient age and captured one of his cities, which I made a puppet. We made peace, but soon he DoWed me again and launched a rather potent attack to retake the city I had conquered. I only barely beat him back--I had to rush buy two units, which depleted my treasury, and he was able to kill my only GG. After I defeated his attack, I moved my forces to the borders of another one of his cities. He then contacted me, asked for peace, and proceeded to give me:

-All of his gold
-17 gold per turn
-Open borders
-all of his strategic and luxury resources.

I figured I had demolished his entire army and he was desperate to prevent me rolling over his empire. Feeling generous, I accepted... and hey, the luxury resources added like +15 to my empire happiness! I was pretty happy.

Well maybe it wasn't a good idea, since 30 turns later the deal ended, and boom I lost all that happiness, plunging me into a crippling dark age. I pleaded and then threatened Monty to give me his resources back, but he refused.

So war it was! He had founded 4-5 new cities near my border, but I had advanced to the late Classical age and had my Legions and ballistas, so I was able to take him down fairly quickly. I razed 3 of his cities, made puppets of 3 more... but he would not give me anything for peace! Not even 30 gold. So I pressed on and captured Tenochtitlan, relegating Montezuma to four piddling cities in the backwater of the continent. I asked what he'd give me for peace...

Still nothing. Not a pittance.

I couldn't understand why he gave away the store to me in the earlier war when all I had done was killed a handful of his units, but later when I'm legitimately thrashing him and eating away at his empire, he wouldn't budge. Makes no sense.

I'm now in a modern-era war with Elizabeth on another continent, and it's the same story. I've stripped her of half her Empire--liberating France, China, India and Japan as well as a city-state, making puppets of 3 of her cities--but she won't accept ANY price that I ask for peace, even a measley 5 gold. She says I have to make a "fair" offer. Fair?? How about this: give me what I ask for, or my tanks and mech infantry will keep coming and doing what they've been doing virtually unimpeded from the start.

Yeah, diplomacy needs major work from Firaxis.

news flash - Firaxis declares that diplomacy is working great in Civ5, YOU are just playing it wrong.

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing. Weren't there past civs where, on defeat, the whole civ would surrender to you?

news flash - Firaxis declares that diplomacy is working great in Civ5, YOU are just playing it wrong.

Actually he's playing it right. This is what they wanted. The other nations aren't in it to survive, they want to win. And if they can't win, then they don't really give a damn. Why would she give you what you want when she can make you take it out of her kicking and screaming.

Ok, that doesn't sound quite right.

Actually he's playing it right. This is what they wanted. The other nations aren't in it to survive, they want to win. And if they can't win, then they don't really give a damn. Why would she give you what you want when she can make you take it out of her kicking and screaming.

Ok, that doesn't sound quite right.

Yeah that was wrong. Worth the giggle though.

Top Bottom