Rocket artillery keep requires setup

cyther

Lord of the Dance
When I upgrade a siege unit into a Rocket Artillery, it keeps the promotion that requires it to setup before a ranged attack. When I build one in a city, it can fire without setup like the unit description says.

I've also had this happen to me. Unfortunately i'm past the point at which I would have a save file to give.

You can just check if a specific promotion has the <LostWithUpgrade>true</LostWithUpgrade> tag in CIV5UnitPromotions.xml.

The following promotions are the only ones lost with upgrades:
OCEAN_IMPASSABLE_UNTIL_ASTRONOMY
OCEAN_IMPASSABLE
ONLY_DEFENSIVE

I thought I recalled other promotions ingame being lost with upgrades, but I could be mistaken, as you can't view all the upgrades on highly upgraded units.

Edition: Digital Deluxe
Version: 1.0.0.17

The save included is from before the attached screenshot. If you select the artillery on the left, just outside Shanghai (North North East on the map) you can upgrade is to Rocket Artillery, but it will still require setting up, unlike the freshly made Rocket Artillery right next to it.

I had a catapult and a trebuchet which I upgraded all the way throughout a game to cannons, then to artillery, and finally to mobile rocket artillery. In the unit description, it says Mobile Rocket Artillery do not require any setup to fire. This is only partly true.

First, I cannot use "B" hotkey to tell the MRA to fire on a location without first using "S" to set it up, which is exactly what I'm not supposed to have to do, and setting it up consumes one of its movement points. However, the MRA can fire without setting up if you right click on the enemy target. Unfortunately, it doesn't fire from its location. Instead, it goes all the way into melee range to attack. When ordered to attack cities, it moves to adjacent tiles to attack. This defeats the purpose of it having any range at all.

Ordering it to attack a target by right clicking on the target of course uses all the movement points needed to get to the target and attack it, but it does not use one of those movement points to set up.

Edit: I've read other people on other sites mention this bug, and I should note that in the game, I never purchased MRAs directly and tested those -- that's why I mentioned that I was using upgrades. It's possible that I was only experiencing this because I upgraded them from artillery to mobile rockets and they "carried over" their set up.

When you upgrade your artillery (that started as a catapult in my case) to rocket artillery, the new rocket artillery will STILL require to set up before firing.

If you make a new rocket artillery it properly does not have to set up like advertised.

It's not really a bug, because the XMLs say it's intended, so the confirmed bugs is not the right section.

I see. I'd say it's a questionable game mechanic, but that's my opinion.

Don't know if anyone has noticed but it seems if you upgrade a unit it keeps its old special abilities. Which can be annoying when the upgrade boasts the opposite of the previous unit. For example The artillary units all have to set up before they can fire, except the rocket artillary. which if you buy or build a new one its fine. An upgraded version you still have to setup before firing. Also Gunships if upgraded from anti tank gun can capture a city even though the computer says noooo. :D

Anyone else have this?

My gunships can capture a city and I have never upgraded one from an anti-tank unit (All bought in city screen directly) *shrug*

How is it intended? That doesn't make any sense at all. An upgraded unit should be exactly the same as a built unit. All this does is make me not want to build any ranged units prior to teching Rocket artillery.

It seems a bit odd, to have two Rocket Artillery where one of them needs to be setup, while the other does not. Is the usage of a Cannon "worse" (after upgrading) then a newly built Rocket Artillery?

Top Bottom