[FIXED] Mounted Defense Bonus Against Ranged Attack

KCMcG

Chieftain
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a "feature" but when attacking using a ranged attack with a chariot archer, an American Spearman got a 100% bonus against mounted units. I understand that technically a chariot archer is a mounter unit, but it should count as a ranged unit when making a range attack. I expected the spearman bonus to only apply to melee or direct attacks.

After playing through my first game, I haven't noticed this issue with any other units. It seems like a bug to have a defensive bonus just because the ranged attack is coming from a chariot instead of an archer. Can anyone confirm this?

I have the same issue here.

Based on damage dealt to stronger units than spearman that don't have the bonus agains cavalry, I would say that the bonus is actually being applied when it comes to the damage.

This is very easy to check in-game The_J.

Set up a spearman and a horseman side by side on the same terrain and attack them with a chariot. Chances are that the horseman will take more damage than the spearman, dispite the force of earlier being +2 than the later.

My cavalry (25 str, gunpowder unit) was killed by a Chariot Archer (6 Ranged str, ancient era unit) inside a city, taking 4-5 damage each turn.

Reason was that Cavalry receives a penalty against mounted units. But against a Chariot archer?! I can understand it in melee but definitely not in ranged combat when my muskets would probably outrange their bows anyway.

This is likely related to spearmen getting a bonus defending against mounted archer attacks.

I can understand it in melee but definitely not in ranged combat when my muskets would probably outrange their bows anyway.

That's what you think, longbows outrange trebuchets and cannons by 50%.

OT: I noticed this same issue and I think the bug was confirmed. A chariot archer was attacking a spearman. For some reason a chariot archer does half the damage of an archer on foot because the spears have special anti-chariot arrow deflectors.

Moderator Action: Threads merged. The_J

This was fixed in the latest patch (1.0.0.62) and can be removed from the list or struck thru...

Top Bottom