One possible fix for the "Instant crash after selecting DirectX version" issue.

Kvess

Chieftain
One possible fix for the "Instant crash after selecting DirectX version" issue.

Warning: Before you do this, create a system restore point! In Win7: Rightclick on my computer -> properties -> system protection -> Create (at the bottom). Why? http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1161900&postcount=6

Simply run the command "sfc /scannow" from a command window.

That is - go to start -> accessories -> command prompt, and write "sfc /scannow" there.
You *might* need to have admin privilegies to do so. If it doesn't work without, simply right click the shortcut to "Command prompt" and select "Run as administrator". (Assuming you run Win7. This might differ somewhat on older operating systems)

For more information on the sfc command, you can have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

I did this on Win7 (64 bit), after having the following symptoms:

1. The demo worked fine, but nothing seems to happend after picking a directx version when starting the full game.
2. When keeping an eye on the the running processes in task manager, I could see a Civ5 process start, but it dissapeared within seconds.
3. In the event viewer (Right click my computer -> select "manager my computer" -> System tools -> Event viewer -> Windows logs -> Application) I found entries pointing to MSVCR90.dll. The error is included below:

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.17, time stamp: 0x4c9b9292
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.4926, time stamp: 0x4a1743c1
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00050fb6
Faulting process id: 0x17bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb5c8dbeeb0c53
Faulting application path: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: fcb6c811-c880-11df-9fa3-00248c8c9c04

I tried the following things before the sfc command, neither of which worked in and of itself.

1. Reinstalling directx
2. Installing the newest drivers for my graphics card
3. Installing the CvRedist_x68 found in \\yoursteamfolder\common\sid meiers civ5\vcredist
4. Validating game files (Only relevant if you got the game over Steam) This claimed that one file was corrupt and would be re-aquired, though I never figured out how to tell what file this was. It also claimed this even if I ran file validation repeatedly.
5. There might have been a reboot in there somewhere as well.

Hopefully this might help someone else as well. :)

For the sake of completion: This is where I found the tip on sfc: http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/249144-directx-problem.html

Thank you for the advice! After a spring-cleaning (well, fall cleaning) wipe of my hard drive yesterday, I got this exact problem upon reinstalling Civ V.

Just FYI, though, option #3 helped me more than anything else:

"3. Installing the CvRedist_x68 found in \\yoursteamfolder\common\sid meiers civ5\vcredist"

Once I did that, everything was fine. I ran a "repair" in that program, and viola! Success!

Thank you for the advice! After a spring-cleaning (well, fall cleaning) wipe of my hard drive yesterday, I got this exact problem upon reinstalling Civ V.

Just FYI, though, option #3 helped me more than anything else:

"3. Installing the CvRedist_x68 found in \\yoursteamfolder\common\sid meiers civ5\vcredist"

Once I did that, everything was fine. I ran a "repair" in that program, and viola! Success!

Where is this at? I looked through my steam folder and no common folder is there.

Ok, I tried this fix, rebooted and fired up the game. I held my breath as I loaded the game that is giving me a runtime error when I try to load it and...it gave me a runtime error again. :( It seems I wasted $50 on this game.

I ran scannow with no luck. I cannot find the files mentioned in #3, can anyone give me more advice? I'm running on Vista, same exact problems.

i ran the scanow and it didn't find these files. I am so f***ing frustated for paying a hundred bucks and the game now doesn't even start.

I fixed the MSVCR90.dll issue through installing the ingame directx and after that running diagnostic of directx to make sure everything was 100%.

After that I changed the ini file (in documents/mygames/civ5/ folder)to not play the intro movie.

And del 1 file recomended on a site (not sure if that was even needed) but now it works again.

I think the not playing intro movie helps alot with video issues

Ounce I find the ini file. How do I change it. and what is the del1 file. Where is it and on what site are you refering to?

Actually I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. So if anyone or lancelot1968 can explain how he did all those things I'd be greatful. If not . No worries.

I ran the sfc scan and it says " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Ok and this means what? Also it says c:\windows\system32>,,,,, I have a 64 bit system so shouldn't it say 64 instead of 32. And if I ask to many questions. Let me know. I'll leave.

Ounce I find the ini file. How do I change it.

Rightclick, open with wordpad or notepad.

I ran the sfc scan and it says " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Ok and this means what?

that everything is okay ;).

Also it says c:\windows\system32>,,,,, I have a 64 bit system so shouldn't it say 64 instead of 32.

I guess the 32 part is needed for backwards compatibility.

And if I ask to many questions. Let me know. I'll leave.

If anyone suggests that, then report him, it's not acceptable for this site. Everyone is free to ask as many questions as he wants to.

Top Bottom