[FIXED] Gerat Wall apperently not working

SatanasOz

Chieftain
Hello,

me again :)

Right to the point, it seems the great wall isn't all so great and just doesn't work. The first time I thought I might have misunderstood the workings of it (had a unit 1 hex from the border and it still got attacked). But the thing seen in the save can not be intended behavior.

To recreate:

Load the Save => Move the War Chariot selected (N of Heliopolis) on the hex west of the city (Heliopolis again). => end turn

What happens is this: The Hoplite (speed 2) standing on the southernmost tile of the empire moves 1 NE and then attacks the War Chariot 1 NW of him. With the Great Wall Build, shouldn't he be only able to move 1 tile, because 1 move + 1 from GW = 2?

Thanks for checking

EDIT: corrected the save

Attachments

• ramses_cont2.Civ5Save
    958.3 KB · Views: 175
I just pounded out a 1 city blitz game to get the achievement; the AI was too busy wonder spamming to build a decent military. One of his wonders was the Great Wall, and while invading I noticed it had no effect on my troops' movement.

You can clearly see that the archer will happily move through two grasslands in one turn, both of which are within the Iroquois territory & the great wall's original limits.

I've seen it mentioned a few times here and there, but doesn't seem to be on the bug list yet. Enjoy (and don't both building it for now:crazyeye:)

I think SatanasOz's save is a bit early - it's during the construction of the wall, not in a war. I tried deccing Alexander once it's finished, but he doesn't want to attack. It'd be a bit harder to prove anyhow, as it's a defensive situation.

I'm trying to figure out how to upload my save, should have it in a few minutes.

Got it; here's the save from the above screenshot. There are plenty of units at war and within the wall to test it with, none of which seem to have any different move values.

Edit: the Archer straight south of Onondaga is upgraded from a Scout; he still moves through Iroquois rough terrain at only 1 move cost, just like a scout should. So that should additionally show that the wall doesn't affect only rough terrain and doesn't affect the scout's bonus, if those might ever come up as theories.

Attachments

• persia-diety1city.Civ5Save
    713.2 KB · Views: 168
argh ... I'm verry sorry - I posted the wrong save. It's corrected now, just in case we need a proof that its not just ineffective for human players. :blush:

While this may not work when it is supposed to, I have discovered that it becomes obsolete when someone researches Metallurgy. I don't remember seeing this listed in the game somewhere, but once anyone researches that it will stop working. Could that be causing some of the Great Wall issues people are seeing?

Top Bottom