[POSSIBLE BUG] Impossible Culture Expansion

Jamesds

Great Scientist
Noticed a blob of culture earlier in my game as Greece, just above Basra. It was stuck in the water, too far from any of my cities, although in the radius of Basra - the civ whose capital I'd stolen about 20 turns earlier. Not much use to me, although it's line of sight is useful I guess!

This was using the latest version (1.0.0.20) of the game.

Here's the screenshot:
Spoiler :

I've had a look through to see if anyone has reported this, but I seriously need to get to bed, so I didn't have a proper look - just wanted to post this now before I forgot about it. Apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it.

Save is attached.

Attachments

• Culture XP Bug.Civ5Save
    705.2 KB · Views: 193
Not necessarily a bug. This could happen if you took Basra earlier, then gained that tile from a culture expansion in Najran (for example; it looks like the most likely choice from the picture), and then lost Basra. Note that cities can expand beyond a 3-hex range, and will sometimes do so ahead of picking a really hard to claim tile like a mountain.

Not necessarily a bug. This could happen if you took Basra earlier, then gained that tile from a culture expansion in Najran (for example; it looks like the most likely choice from the picture), and then lost Basra. Note that cities can expand beyond a 3-hex range, and will sometimes do so ahead of picking a really hard to claim tile like a mountain.
True, that is a reasonable explanation, except I didn't take Basra, it's been under Arab control since they settled it.

Being that's the case, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't have happened. Cities may go further than the 3-tile radius, fair enough - I've not played long enough to see this. But I'm pretty sure culture expansions need to be adjacent to at least 1 hex where your culture is already present. This just doesn't make sense.

I have seen culture skip over other people's culture before- in my case I saw a city-state gain a spot of culture on the far side of a line of my culture. No save, unfortunately, as this was many games ago now. It definitely surprised me when it happened.

AFAIK, cities can expand culture up to 5 hexes away, and the stray tile in the SS seems to be in that range. I don't think the game checks to see whether a tile is connected to any others of the same culture. So its just a normal feature of the game mechanics.

Have to admit it looks weird though, and probably should be changed.

Top Bottom