[FIXED] Strategic Resource Trading in Non-Standard-Length Games

Dux1

Warlord
This bug will occur whenever a trade is initiated involving a custom amount (i.e., a number other than the default value of 5) of any strategic resource when playing a non-standard-length game. When the value is changed from its default, the trade will last for 20 turns, regardless of the game length you are playing. This is especially problematic if the other side of the deal involves something that lasts longer (e.g., 45 turns, which is the standard trade agreement in an epic-length game), as the strategic resource portion of the deal will "complete" at turn 20 -- and then "complete" again on every turn until the other side of the deal completes (e.g., at turn 45), giving you the amount of resources you traded back each time. This leads to ridiculous situations where you wind up with essentially unlimited amounts of the strategic resource.

For example, let's say that I am playing an epic-length game. I want to trade horses to Japan for incense. If I use the default value of 5 horses and Japan accepts, the deal will work as expected: Japan will get 5 horses for 45 turns, and I will get incense for 45 turns. However, if I change the value of horses being traded to 6, then the game will default my side of the trade to 20 turns -- the standard agreement length for a standard-length game. The game will not change the length of the incense portion of the agreement; it will remain at 45 turns. After 20 turns, I will get a message telling me that the deal with Japan regarding horses has ended, and 6 horses will be returned to me. The same thing will happen on the next turn, and I will get 6 more horses. This will continue until the other side of the deal -- the incense portion -- has ended at the 45th turn, 25 turns away. At the end of the deal, I will wind up with 6 x 25 = 150 horses.

The version is the most recent, 1.0.0.20. I am at work, so I can't provide a save right now, but the bug is very easy to reproduce in any non-standard-length game.

Another aspect of this bug that I just discovered:

Siam offered me a trade of silver (among other things) in exchange for a peace treaty. The peace treaty was to last 10 turns while the silver trade was to last 45. At the end of 10 turns, I got a message telling me that the peace treaty had expired and that it was alright to declare war again. I got this same message every turn until the silver portion of the deal ended at turn 45. Of course, this example doesn't lead to any real issues like the infinite strategic resources example -- it's only slightly annoying to have the "peace treaty has ended" message pop up every turn -- but it seems to be caused by the same root issue: deals that are asymmetrical time-wise.

Top Bottom