Troy
Milan
Koumbi Saleh
Anfa
Macau
Hong Kong

Download

Also available in game's mod browser.

This is a small mod that I decided to make as my first Civ 5 mod after installing modtools - worked as a learning process for me to find out what is required to make a mod. I could add some more city states if requested but I'll be concentrating on other mods in future.

When testing this mod, I noticed that there's no limit on how many city states you can have in one game so basically you can enable all the new city states when you make a game through advanced setup - just move the city state slider to the maximum.

Feel free to use this mod as you see fit (play, use in your own mods etc).

Is it possible to make a mod so that city states would be in line with the geography of the land?
That is: African set of land would have African named CSs, European land European CSs, etc...

Also, can the CS's nationality be given?
I mean, the name of the civilization for the CS: Dublin should be named the Irish Civ, etc...

Tried it and like the extra variation, but Hong Kong showed up as "City" on the map.
Also, there should be more asian cities XD

Troy, Samarkand, Malacca, Khotan, Macau, Samarkand, Hong Kong... sounds pretty Asian to me. :mischief:

Nice one, Zappara! :goodjob:

I like this, excellent mod. It was clever of the designers to create the city state structure in such a way it's easy to add new "minor" civs. Great idea to expand on that.

...Odd little off-topic thing I just noticed: I've had the John Howe painting of your avatar icon as my desktop image for 8 years now. The strong angle of it works so well aesthetically with the layout of Windows' quickbar and system tray.

Spoiler :

Tried it and like the extra variation, but Hong Kong showed up as "City" on the map.
Also, there should be more asian cities XD
Umm, these are City states so of course they appear like cities :lol: Most of them are also asian in this mod - it's much harder to find African or American city states when digging through history sites... Europe is pretty much covered in vanilla Civ 5. There's plenty of other ancient asian cities that could be added but I didn't want to fill the mod with only asian cities.

I like this, excellent mod. It was clever of the designers to create the city state structure in such a way it's easy to add new "minor" civs. Great idea to expand on that.

...Odd little off-topic thing I just noticed: I've had the John Howe painting of your avatar icon as my desktop image for 8 years now. The strong angle of it works so well aesthetically with the layout of Windows' quickbar and system tray.
The whole modding system in Civ 5 is quite flexible so it's quite easy to expand just about anything... :)

And yes, that's the picture where my avatar icon is from - saw the picture long time ago, made avatar out of it and have used it since :)

Also if you like to have it more historical you could change some vanilla names, like replace Helsinki with Turku, much longer history and was originally the 'capital' of Finland :mischief:, also it's more maritime than Helsinki. Sure there would be more historical corrections possible. Good mod though :goodjob:

I was adding these new city-states to a mod I was working on and Hong Kong and Macau's cities were blank and I had to name them myself. But it seems... strange to have two city-states with no names...

Nice, I will certainly get this one.

I just created some new city states of my own (mostly because I wanted larger map sizes and need more than the 28 city states if I want to maintain the ratio). We overlap in two of them ;)

EDIT: having a download available here would be nice, for whatever reason the in-game mod browser does not wor for me (i.e. it shows no mods).

One thing I wanted to play around with was a "Unique City State" concept.

For Example, Create a trait, exclusive to say, Venice. and have their benefit be a free "Galleass" (A new unit, that is exclusive to them), in addition to some economic benefit.

Maybe have all the City-States that were on the Silk Road to offer Economic benefits associated with Luxury resources.

The trick would obviously be balacing the various traits, but I felt it would create an element of flavor.
I am not sure if the AI would make a priority to target the City-States that would have percieved better benefits that fit their situation, but thats another story.

I was adding these new city-states to a mod I was working on and Hong Kong and Macau's cities were blank and I had to name them myself. But it seems... strange to have two city-states with no names...
Found a small bug regarding those cities. Fixed it and uploaded new version.

Added the mod to civfanatics download db. See first post for download link.

Ah zappara, I just uploaded a mod with some new city-states as well, including Samarkand. I didn't see yours before. TBH, it's because for some reasons I can't see the downloads in Civ5...

Anyway, just saying. We made the same kind of mods to try out Civ5 modding :lol:

Anyway, just saying. We made the same kind of mods to try out Civ5 modding :lol:
Yeah, saw few other city states mod as well just now in Civ 5's mod lists - adding city states is easy way to learn this modding stuff :lol:

Thoroughly looking forward to when City States get fully modded with more types, personalities, requests and unique benefits. But this is a good start :)

Maybe some of the civs from previous versions could have a city state representation until/if they are added? Amsterdam, Carthage and Addis Ababa, for example. Not strictly city states in reality, but worth representing, IMO.

Found a small bug regarding those cities. Fixed it and uploaded new version.

Added the mod to civfanatics download db. See first post for download link.

Yeah thats what i meant, they showed up as "City" (name, hence the quotation marks) :lol:

This Mod also has the Prob with building Settlers in CityStates :)
Does it rely on this part >>>
<Row>
<MinorCivType>MINOR_CIV_MILAN</MinorCivType>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_EXPANSION</FlavorType>
<Flavor>10</Flavor>
</Row>

Have changed it now in my files, but cant test it today, it's late :lol:

Edit: Looks like it fixed it.I set all "Flavor_Expansion" to zero.
here is the corresponding file : Historic city states.xml

Top Bottom