Can you have more than 8 players with AI?

luikhang1234

Chieftain
Group of three of us are playing 3v3ai because anything past 8 players says unsupported number of players.

We'd rather do a 3v3v3v3 or at least go to 9 and do a 3v3v3.

Is there any way to make that happen? Only one other team is lame.

Group of three of us are playing 3v3ai because anything past 8 players says unsupported number of players.

We'd rather do a 3v3v3v3 or at least go to 9 and do a 3v3v3.

Is there any way to make that happen? Only one other team is lame.

It is lame. Currently there is no way to add more than the pre-set maximum number of players on a map. However, it doesn't really matter because currently the AI in multiplayer is also broken. Basically AI in multiplayer only acts as a placeholder till a human player takes it over, never contacting other players, or really actively engaging at all.

I was told I was being a negative nancy when I said the release was too premature to be a fully working game.

Hopefully they patch it soon.

It is possible to have more than the default number of players. Go to your steam folder and then to steam/steamapps/common/civ 5/assets/gameplay/xml and open an xml file called "CIV5World.xml" in notepad. There you can find around a dozen lines of code per map. Find the map size you plan to play on and alter the number of default players to your liking.

Code:
<DefaultPlayers>X</DefaultPlayers>

(Replace the X)

It is possible to have more than the default number of players. Go to your steam folder and then to steam/steamapps/common/civ 5/assets/gameplay/xml and open an xml file called "CIV5World.xml" in notepad. There you can find around a dozen lines of code per map. Find the map size you plan to play on and alter the number of default players to your liking.

Code:
<DefaultPlayers>X</DefaultPlayers>

(Replace the X)

This solution is hardly ideal for the average player and it forces you to change your original game files which can cause problems in multiplayer in general.

Yeah, I know, but it is an easy workaround while waiting for patches.

22 is the highest number allowed. If setting a number higher than 22, it defaults down to 9.

Top Bottom