Balanced-Playable(v1)

Slowpoke

The Mad Modder
It's uploaded under mods with the same name as the title. The first part of a series of mods I'm making that attempt to make the difficulty, well, more difficult. If you're tired of winning diety with a bunch of horsemen try it out. The focus is not on making civs,units, etc balanced but on correcting massive gameplay errors. Included is:

-Base city defense is 6 higher. Don't expect to win early diety sieges without siege weapons.

-Ocean/coast tiles have an additional gold (in effect, all cities have the collosus, and the collossus is now decent. Reasoning is the game is so military based one might otherwise not bother with optics.)

-Maritime city states no longer give increased bonus as allies. Culture and military still do.

-Cities have a base of 1 additional production

-All A.I.s (should) have a Moderate+ sized army, and play more defensively. For old times sake monty is still overly aggressive

-Strategic resources are now actually limiting. Iron is always 2, horses are always 1. Expect to trade and conquer specific area if you play on fighting. Cavalry are now effectively support.

-Unit maintenance is reduced

Future fixes coming (if I'm capable):

-eliminating tech slingshots from great scientist.
-increasing A.I's usage of spearmen
-increasing city offense range to 3, and minimum city distance to 3
-siege units starting with cover fire promotion
-lowering building/unit costs

Attachments

• Balance-playable (v 1).zip
    94.8 KB · Views: 501
Limited strategic resources is a really great idea. When you get a node with 6 iron or 4 horses or something ridiculous on your capital, you can basically wield an extremely destructive army without even having to bother with expanding for more resources...

As for your future features, the scientist one may take some thought. Besides making them harder to get (I proposed in another thread having scientists give 2 GPP instead of 3) another change you might consider is giving them an extra maintenance cost to pressure the player into using them immediately. Saving a whole bunch of them for the later techs would really put a strain on their economy.

Most of the other features you have planned look good and should be relatively easy to implement.

One unfortunate problem is that man, trying to strike a deal to get a strategic resource from the enemy is extremely expensive! They request much more gold than if the trade were the other way around. I will probably consider upping iron to 3. Especially considering catapults use iron. It'd be a bit weird attacking with nothing but spearmen and catapults, although since I play as germany, I'd get to use their UU pretty well that way :)

And those are both great ideas for the great sceintist, outright removing their ability seems like it'd take a lot of nasty modding that I'm not particular good at.

I love the +1 production from cities. I've been thinking of implementing that for my personal use. I've found that middle and later eras production isn't as much of a problem, just the ancient era is so slow getting started. That +1 production later on sort of will disappear once you get your cities up and running.

I love the +1 production from cities. I've been thinking of implementing that for my personal use. I've found that middle and later eras production isn't as much of a problem, just the ancient era is so slow getting started. That +1 production later on sort of will disappear once you get your cities up and running.

Exactly :) The only weird side effect is that highish difficulty A.I.s get absurd armies in ancient era. Slugging through waves and waves of jaguar warriors in the beginning can be tough.

Top Bottom