Embarkment bug?: some units can, some cannot?

V. Soma

long time civ fan
I apologize, as I do not have a save to prove it,
but it happened that in my game with Greece
my hoplite could not get into coastal water, but my worker and settler could...

Is it OK?

I try to remember if I had Optics or not, I think I had... (uh, as I remember now)

Anyway, what I did find, some unit could swim (settler), some could not (hoplite)...

If you had the unit out scouting that could be the reason possibly. Once you get the tech, each of your units have to go back to your territory to 'learn' it before they can swim.

I was really confused my first game but finally read that somewhere... so if you were trying from home then it is a bug but if you were wandering and tried it probably isn't.

If you had the unit out scouting that could be the reason possibly. Once you get the tech, each of your units have to go back to your territory to 'learn' it before they can swim.

I was really confused my first game but finally read that somewhere... so if you were trying from home then it is a bug but if you were wandering and tried it probably isn't.

Actually, they only need to enter friendly territory. That means friendly or allied city-states, as well as any AI you have open borders with are also fine for giving them their embarkation upgrade.

I apologize, as I do not have a save to prove it,
but it happened that in my game with Greece
my hoplite could not get into coastal water, but my worker and settler could...

Is it OK?

I try to remember if I had Optics or not, I think I had... (uh, as I remember now)

Anyway, what I did find, some unit could swim (settler), some could not (hoplite)...

Actually, that would explain why in a game of mine Greece´s North African cities were easily overrun by Songhai; it appeared they had only workers there...

Ah, this could the reasson!

I find it a bit strange of a rule, though... is it wriiten in Civpedia somewhere...?

Could you please look at that again and try to confirm it?
Because then i'll merge that thread with the other one about that topic (somewhere is one, IIRC).

I'd have to hunt up a save game if you want one, but I tested it and found units can't embark until they enter your own, friendly/allied CS, or ROPed AI. It's mentioned in game somewhere, I think if you hover over the embark ability in the tech tree, it mentions units need to be in/enter friendly lands before embarking.

Pretty sure this one is working as intended.

The problem lies in the lack of the embarkation promotion on units that were outside of friendly land when the Optics tech was initially discovered. They will have to return to friendly land in order to gain the promotion, which is then granted automatically. All land units built or bought after discovering the tech, get the promotion.

Once they have the promotion, they can embark/debark in any land/sea hexes, regardless of ownership.

There is a second reason this occurs. If your units are Sleeping/Fortified even in friendly territory on the turn you discover Optics, they are not given the Embarkation promotion.

Top Bottom