Final Fantasy 9 World Map [72x59]

FFanatics

Chieftain
This is a map I just made based on FF9 World to play myself and I thought it would be fun to share it. This map was created with a fantasy game in mind so there will be a LOT of gold-making resources but carefully placed to make every continents balance. There will be many places with a special mix of resources to reflect the locations of FF9. Since there is only 1 river in a real FF9 map, I've added many rivers on all continents for playability.

:king:Continents in FF9:
- Mist Continent [Bottom right]
This is a main continent with mostly grassland/rivers/mountain. There is a very wide mountain range spanning across the whole continent with only few openings, this allow a very strategic gameplay for civs that start on this continent.
Abundant resources: most are available except some luxury resources.

- Outer Continent [Top right]
This is a mountainous and hilly continent with a desert full of riches to the northeast and 3 big islands surrounding the continent.
Abundant resources: Gold, Wheat, Uranium, Dye, Deer, Horse, Coal

- Forgotten Continent [Bottom Left]
This is an isolated continent with many mountain ranges and plains. Southerns islands contain many riches such as pearls and cottons.
Abundant resources: Ivory, Pearl, Fish, Whale, Cotton, Marble, Spice, Sugar, Gem, Silver, Oil, Incense

- Lost Continent [Top Left]
Supposedly a snowy continent but I used tundra and extra food resources to make it more balance.
Abundant resources: Fur, Whale, Pearl

Directions:
To install a map, put a map file on C:\Users\YOURPC\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps
To start with this map go to Advanced Setup and choose FF9 from the list.
If you are unhappy with the resources placement, go to world builder then tick random resources(this may reduce the fantasy feel of the map)
You can modify and improve this map as you want and don't forget to share :D
Hope you guys have fun with the map!:goodjob:

Screenshot:

Resources placement :eek::lol:

Attachments

• FF9(v2).rar
    6.2 KB · Views: 930
Nice! Apart from obvious FF9 nostalgy, I like how mountain ranges create chokepoints: I was going to make a map focused on that to avoid civilizations getting pwnd too early for my tastes, but this one will do just right :goodjob:

EDIT - Just one thing: I believe you went WAY overboard with rivers. Apart from some wrongly placed ones (as in, they don't spring from the mountains but from the coast, or some coast-to-coast rivers with no mouth), in the two thinnier continents there are almost no tiles left without access to freshwater. This seems quite excessive, especially when you consider how filled with wheat the map is :p

Nice! Apart from obvious FF9 nostalgy, I like how mountain ranges create chokepoints: I was going to make a map focused on that to avoid civilizations getting pwnd too early for my tastes, but this one will do just right :goodjob:

EDIT - Just one thing: I believe you went WAY overboard with rivers. Apart from some wrongly placed ones (as in, they don't spring from the mountains but from the coast, or some coast-to-coast rivers with no mouth), in the two thinnier continents there are almost no tiles left without access to freshwater. This seems quite excessive, especially when you consider how filled with wheat the map is :p

Thanks for the feedback! I've fixed river locations and slightly removed them in version 2 so it should be a little more realistic now.

Also, while I was editing it (I placed the start points, city states near chokepoints and redid all the resources since I'm now playing it in a medieval+some renaissance tech research limit, so no use for anything past Iron) I noticed you left all strategic resources at 1 unit each. This was still in V1, so you might already have fixed it now: even though there are A LOT of resource spawn points in your placement, still it looks like it could cause some troubles later on to find enough resources to maintain a sizeable army with "elite" units ;)

Also, while I was editing it (I placed the start points, city states near chokepoints and redid all the resources since I'm now playing it in a medieval+some renaissance tech research limit, so no use for anything past Iron) I noticed you left all strategic resources at 1 unit each. This was still in V1, so you might already have fixed it now: even though there are A LOT of resource spawn points in your placement, still it looks like it could cause some troubles later on to find enough resources to maintain a sizeable army with "elite" units ;)

Yea it was intended to limit 1 civ from being too powerful and dominates the whole game. Although there are more strategic resources in some region than others, I would like each civ to be able to get their hand on one of each strategic resources but not getting too many of each one. Btw, I've noticed some of the rivers still running in opposite direction after I redo them. It's not a big deal but it is a bit awkward to look at. Some of them starts at a beach and empties into a mountain even though it looks fine on the world builder. :crazyeye: If you're able to fix them please enlighten me :D

Yeah, rivers do act funny sometimes, where exactly the trick lies is still a bit of a mistery to me too. What I noticed is that they have the tendency to screw up when 2 or more feeder rivers merge into one. As such, I usually refrain from placing down a too complex river setup when building a quick map for play-and-forget. Sometimes they work as intended, sometimes not, but without an in-editor 3d previewer firing each time up a game to check if they are finally behaving is too much of an hassle :p

dose any one knoe how to get this map to apper in the world maker im having issues due to the fact that it wont read a .rar file

Top Bottom