Mod Idea: Scout advancement tree

evanbgood

Chieftain
So, I had this idea for something to add into the main game without harming balance. I've always had a soft spot for the poor little scout units in civ games and I was delighted to find that they were a bit more useful in Civ V, especially with the benifits of early world discovery. However, the usefulness of scouts drops off VERY quickly, especially in terms of any combat usefulness, and without a lucky ruin find, they don't upgrade to anything else, making them the only military unit stuck at one strength for the entire game. With Civ V's emphasis on making every unit count and rewarding those who manage to keep their warrior alive for an entire game, from club to mech infantry, it seemed strange that scouts still run through the world with a the same 4000 BC cloak and staff while jet fighters fly overhead.

Thus, I came up with the idea for an upgrade path for scouts, enhancing their usefulness in line with the rest of the game's progression. I'll start by giving my rough ideas for what the new units (three in total) would be like in the game, then explain the thought behind each of them. Keep in mind that, like normal military units, each new rank will require much more production, meaning that, while they will be cheaper and faster than many units, they won't produce in one turn like current mid-game scouts.

Scout -
Stays as is

Lookout -Discovered with Optics
+1 view range
+1 movement range while embarked
+1 extra view range at sea
Embarked unit embarks as a “lookout galley” which can't be captured by enemies as a civilian unit (can be attacked and destroyed with ranged attacks, but can't perform ranged attacks itself) Less defensive strength than a galley or trireme (meant to outrun opponents) Can not enter ocean
Has land attack strength about equal to a spearman (minus the cavalry bonus)

Rationale:
The lookout (better name pending; taking suggestions!) is an extension of what the scout was originally made for. Scout units are primarily focused in removing fog of war, discovering ruins, city-states, and barbarian camps, and locating new land to settle or fight over. It appears at the same time units are first allowed to embark, expanding the land exploration qualities of the scout to the coastal areas. The defensive nature of the ship makes it a far better choice than allowing any other embarked land unit to scout, while allowing the trireme to maintain its usefulness in combat. On land, it has the potential to clear out weaker barbarians, though not as effectively as the horseman or swordsman that come at the same time. It would also receive limited access to military experience bonuses, meaning that a spearman would still function better in combat. This would allow the lookout to address extremely small threats that it comes across (such as dispatching archers) while maintaining its primary role of scouting. As the map becomes less and less unknown, the lookout's superior view range makes it useful in military groups to spot enemies before they spot you.

Explorer -Discovered with Astronomy
All bonuses of lookout plus:
+1 land movement range
View not obstructed by forests, jungles, or hills.
Embarked unit embarks as a “carrack”. 1 movement range faster than a caravel. 1 more view range than caravel. Good defense, but no attack ability.
Has land strength about equal to pikeman (minus the cavalry bonus)

Rationale:
Heavily influenced by the "age of sail" era of history, explorers would fill a huge omission in Civ V's naval gameplay, namely the historical voyages of history's great land-searchers. As the game is now, the first cross-ocean vessel is the caravel. Though these were indeed the models of some of the first ships able to do such a voyage, larger flagships would make more sense for something as epic as discovering an entire new half of one's planet. Unlike the in-game caravel, these ships would most likely be filled with crew and provisions, not cannons.
Thus, the promotion from lookout to explorer would be one of much higher naval importance than land scouting. This is because, in the average non-pangea map, by the time you're ready to study astronomy, most of the land on your home continent should be revealed (at least, if you've been scouting; if not, explorers wouldn't interest you anyway). Explorers should be, as the name implies, the ones who explore the world. They should be the ones who prove that the planet is round, they should be the ones to make the first peaceful contact with unknown civilizations, and they should supply the first land units to set foot on the soil. Caravels, frigates, battleships, submarines... those should all come AFTER first contact.
The land scouting abilities of seeing through forests and hills would further improve the usefulness of an explorer in already-explored territory, such as the aforementioned military-spotting tactic. 3 land movement range would allow them to remain faster than most units, combined with the scout's natural ability to ignore terrain costs. This would allow them to make quick surveys of front lines, even though a mounted charge over flat land would still be faster. The pikeman-similar combat ability keeps their combat rating competative, yet still very low in a world of longswords and muskets. Still, they could be used as an improvised combat unit to take out an undefended trebuchet, cannon, or crossbow. They could also defend themselves after arriving on lands where barbarians have had a chance to advance unhindered.

Recon -Discovered with Electricity
All bonuses of explorer and lookout plus:
Invisible to enemy while in hill, forest, or jungle tile (with no enemy adjacent)
+1 land movement range
+1 view range
Embarked unit embarks as a “patrol boat”. Similar to carrack, but slightly weaker to fire from modern warships. Movement speed matches the fastest moving ship in the game.
Has land strength about equal to a rifleman

Rationale:
The final unit in the scout chain would be the recon, a lightly armed team of spotters on a modern battlefield. They would arrive at roughly the same time as infantry, which, of course, they'd be considerably weaker than.
At this point in the game, the idea of scouting has shifted once again. More than likely, you have discovered every inch of the map worth discovering, and the seas are ready to be replaced with high-tech battleships and carriers. Land and civ discovery is no longer an issue, but keeping tabs on your enemy very much is. Thus the recon's role becomes purely one of watching movement. With the highest land view range in the game, a well placed recon would allow you to see a lot more of the enemy than just the front lines. This could be used in all kinds of settings, from checking an area for anti-air guns before a bombing, right up to spotting that spaceship part enroute to your enemy's capital.
The other powerful unique ability that would be introduced (and I'm actually not sure if this should or should not be included, or if its even possible, especially with AI limitations) is the ability to hide in hills and trees in enemy territory, much like a submarine, but on land. This represents the fact that they're units not intended for direct combat, and introduces a concept of infiltration. Combined with the recon's ability to see long distances, the unit could slip into a forest deep in enemy territory and just... wait. All the while, you would be able to see what your enemy was up to, and even jump out for a well-timed (though possibily suicidal) flank attack.
And finally, the explorer's carrack would be upgraded to the recon's patrol boat, a light, fast, modern ship. Like all other scout vessels, it would not be able to attack, but could not be taken like an embarked civilian. However, with MUCH more advanced weaponry on the seas, a tiny ship like that would be toast if targetted by, say, the massive guns of a battleship. The primary use of this unit on the sea would be speed. As fast as any other naval unit in the game, its speed would reflect its "first in, first out" nature, making it an ideal ship to send out to start a cross-ocean invasion, locating a good insertion point or discovering a dangerous shore from afar. With infiltration tactics, the recon's speed would help them get into position faster, or use the sea to flank an enemy from a direction that would normally take too long to get to.
By the end-game, a recon's combat abilities would be nearly non-existant, though they still would be able to defend themselves much better than the current scout unit. Well-fortified and sticking to rough terrain, they could survive attacks from units that discovered them with enough time to run away, but direct aggressive combat would be a painful failure.

---

And so, that's my idea! The data portion of things is something I could probably handle, but I'd worry about the need for any art or animation, and of course, I'd need plenty of people to test it for balance.
I'd love to know what people think. If I can get the idea down solidly enough, I may just have to start studying and find a way to get these into the game! All ideas can be tweaked for balance, realism, or game engine constraints. For example, I'm VERY unsure of the balance of the recon's invisibility. That's the only one that seems like a big "game-changer". The idea here is most definitely to support Civ V gameplay, not to make a new, different game.
Thanks for your interest!

I really like the idea of keeping scouts useful through the game, at least into the industrial era and possibly into the modern. I've also felt sad when I've had to disband my scouts, as they're usually one of the first units I've built (in previous Civs; only played the CiV demo twice).

I'll read through your post again when I have more time, just wanted to drop a note of support. Are the sight bonuses cumulative with each upgrade? I've thought that scouts could become like the great naval explorers of the 15th+ centuries, or like the mountain men of the Lewis and Clark era. In a sense, they're two separate units, one with naval perks and the other with land perks (I wouldn't give them increased strength for attack, but increased defense). Perhaps a divergent upgrade path?

Anyway, good start.

I had a very similar idea in mind, having noticed the Recon unit tree (as shown in the manual) only had the Scout in it. My idea involved a Scout -> Explorer -> Pathfinder progression. Basically the same timeframes as your line but skipping the Lookout and maybe making the Explorer available earlier than in your project. At least until more graphical options come up, the Explorer would look like the Musketman, but with a less numerous formation, and the Pathfinder would look like the Paratrooper, but would probably be a two-man formation.

Now, some thoughts on your plan:

- Pathfinder's a cooler name for the generic-sounding Recon unit. :p
- Remember Scouts ignore movement terrain costs, so Pathfinders with 5 movement points would be pretty ludicrous, I believe.
- I wouldn't have any stage ignore sight obstacles, as that would remove the tactical aspect of positioning.
- The hiding aspect of Pathfinders looks really cool (I'd restrict it to forests and jungles, though), but it sounds difficult to code as Submarines don't quite work that way: they're always invisible.
- As for the embarked versions, I'd make it so they can survive a single attack from a contemporary warship, but that's it. They'd barely have any HP left to escape.

Yeah, this is a good idea - I requested something similar in the unit request thread. A Humvee/Jeep or a guerrilla type unit might work for modern recon if only reskinning units was possible at this time.

One could give a progressive combat bonus to other units (like the general) nearby. Making their "scouting ability" doubly effective.

I am trying to figure out how to make a unit on land , invisible to other units , but so far I have had no luck at all.(invis sub promotion doesnt seem to work at all- I tried tweaking it but still no luck)

If you find a way let me know. please

I had a very similar idea in mind, having noticed the Recon unit tree (as shown in the manual) only had the Scout in it. My idea involved a Scout -> Explorer -> Pathfinder progression. Basically the same timeframes as your line but skipping the Lookout and maybe making the Explorer available earlier than in your project. At least until more graphical options come up, the Explorer would look like the Musketman, but with a less numerous formation, and the Pathfinder would look like the Paratrooper, but would probably be a two-man formation.

Now, some thoughts on your plan:

- Pathfinder's a cooler name for the generic-sounding Recon unit. :p
- Remember Scouts ignore movement terrain costs, so Pathfinders with 5 movement points would be pretty ludicrous, I believe.
- I wouldn't have any stage ignore sight obstacles, as that would remove the tactical aspect of positioning.
- The hiding aspect of Pathfinders looks really cool (I'd restrict it to forests and jungles, though), but it sounds difficult to code as Submarines don't quite work that way: they're always invisible.
- As for the embarked versions, I'd make it so they can survive a single attack from a contemporary warship, but that's it. They'd barely have any HP left to escape.

Hey! I'm glad you replied to this! Your barbarian tree was partially my inspiration for the idea.

Thanks for your thoughts, too. Pathfinder sounds slightly less "modern" than recon, so that might be a good name for the lookout (I wasn't particularly happy with that name). I'd also like to keep them as history-appropriate as possible, so I wanted to avoid things that sounded like an RPG class, like Ranger (even though, obviously, modern warfare does include rangers, but they're not exactly scouts).
I'm unsure about the anti-obstacle view idea, as well. I thought perhaps it would be better as an anti-hill view, still blocked by forest and mountains. The idea is to give them some war usefulness once the world has been revealed. If I was to get really complex with this, it could be cool to have a "setup" like artillary uses to deploy advanced scouting technology for modern scout units, such as launching an anti-air-vulnerable UAV.
The invisibility might be more than a little tricky, but I'm extra worried about the ability to make a unit deploy as an actual ship. I'm not sure if this ability is in the code, but it's essential to the idea, especially in the explorer phase. If, way down the line, an expansion re-releases spies into the game, I'm assuming what will come with some invisibilty code to work with.
And lastly, I'd need to test the recon's movement range, but even with the rough land travel ability, I still think the range should be one of the highest available. Keep in mind that mech infantry have 4, themselves. Perhaps matching that would be best. After all, these aren't units that are going to take out any cities, and though they can survive a little, attacking anything but artillary, ranged, and the extremely wounded would be suicide. They'd probably take a beating in the process of destroying arti as well. The speed advantage is pretty much the only advantage they have other than sight range.

Glad to see some interest in this! I'm thinking about seeing if I can lay the groundwork in modbuddy. Most likely, I'll have to use existing units and animations as placeholders until I can get some more apropriate artwork. Some would work pretty well. I think pikemen would make good explorers (though it would help if I could arm them with something else), and the unique English ship of the line could make a good carrack. Otherwise, I'll just have to wing it!

Hey! I'm glad you replied to this! Your barbarian tree was partially my inspiration for the idea.
Awesome! I'm already famous it seems! :king: :lol:

Don't go overboard with complexity since, firstly, remember the AI has to be able to effectively (ish) use these units, and secondly, we may not have the necessary tools to carry out particularly deep modding at the moment.

As for movement range, yeah, Mechanized Infantry may have 4 moves, but they're restricted by terrain costs, and would be hampered everywhere that's not strictly open ground (or roads or railroads). 4 points is, from my point of view, probably the absolute maximum you should allow on these reconnaissance units. Yes, they should be faster than other land units, but don't make them roadrunners! When in doubt, be conservative.

Regarding the special embarking process, I'm not sure, but you may want to look into the Songhai trait, which among other things allows embarked units to defend themselves. Maybe there's some way to apply that particular effect to a unique promotion scout units could start with. Said promotion could also temporarily reduce their combat effectiveness, so they're weaker at sea.

Finally, about invisibility, keep in mind that you'll have to give practically every land unit (or at least those from the Industrial Era and onwards) a special promotion that allows them to spot the camouflaged recon unit. Sort of like the Destroyer's Can See Submarines promotion, provided you can adjust the spotting range to one hex. Maybe opposing recon units could see them from farther away. A great way to implement this detection ability (provided the mechanics can be worked out in the first place) would be making it an effect of a technology. Say, the same one that unlocks recon units: Electricity.

Problem is that invisibility doesn't take terrain into account, unlike the type suggested here.

Well, I could always make a spy unit on the side to fill that stealth role... but I think it might be best to just ditch the idea. Scouts as they are now can be extremely defensive, at least in the early ages, due to their ability to retreat through bad land. With this and the enhanced view range, the proposed recon-era units basically ARE stealth units. The enemy would still have to do some scouting themselves to notice them, and they could run away in the blink of an eye (again noting that they should run AWAY, not be some kind of super-strike unit).

Like Shadow said, I think the idea here would be to avoid complexity. Keep things simple, keep them good, keep them functional.

And yes, I think 4 is the magic number for move range. I want them to have a mobility edge, even on flat land, but I don't want them to cross a huge pangea in two turns.

Top Bottom