Tech Diffusion

Afforess

The White Wizard
Tech Diffusion​

Tech Diffusion causes civilizations that fall behind technologically to slowly recieve free research towards technologies that other civilizations already posess. The more civilizations posess a technology, the faster other civilizations will recieve free research towards it.

Incompatible with the following mods (at least without manually merging InGame.xml):

• Active City Defense
  • Tree Growth
  • Any other mod that modifies "InGame.xml"

Download via the modbrowser. ;)

Excellent :thumbsup:

so just to be clear, we can merge these as long as we edit the InGame.xml?

Yep. The one commented line in InGame.xml needs to be merged in between any mods that use it. It's a relatively simple merge, but a lot of Lua mods are going to start to use it.

Glad you like it. ;)

The design is very heavily influenced off of tech diffusion in Civ4.

:goodjob: your modding productivity is amazing!

Not really. I got nothing done last weekend, or most of the week. I just have a few open days and am making the most of it. Plus, most of the design for this mod was already built, I just adapted it for Civ5.

Bear with me if it is a dumb suggestion:

Can't you use the something akin to (a few lines from balanced mod borrowed below)

- <Update>
<Where ImprovementType="IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" ResourceType="RESOURCE_BANANA" YieldType="YIELD_FOOD" />
<Set Yield="3" />
</Update>

to "update" ingame.xml, rather than having the entire file? Would that make it compatible with other mods? I'd certainly love to be able to play active defense alongside tech diffusion.

And if it doesn't work, maybe you should start a minimod pack that include all of your tiny awesome mods correctly merged?

very good one, that's a mod I was looking for :goodjob:

do you plan (or do you think it's possible) to add distance and pact of cooperation between civs into the equation ?

btw, Emigration does not use InGame.xml

You're right, you overwrote an existing file... My bad.

very good one, that's a mod I was looking for :goodjob:

do you plan (or do you think it's possible) to add distance and pact of cooperation between civs into the equation ?

Yes, I do plan on it. Open Borders too.

Bear with me if it is a dumb suggestion:

Can't you use the something akin to (a few lines from balanced mod borrowed below)

- <Update>
<Where ImprovementType="IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" ResourceType="RESOURCE_BANANA" YieldType="YIELD_FOOD" />
<Set Yield="3" />
</Update>

to "update" ingame.xml, rather than having the entire file? Would that make it compatible with other mods? I'd certainly love to be able to play active defense alongside tech diffusion.

And if it doesn't work, maybe you should start a minimod pack that include all of your tiny awesome mods correctly merged?

Doesn't work with this type of XML. (I believe anyway, but I'm going to test it at any rate)

bug report:

small map, standard speed, 9 AIs, 17 city states (overstuffed map, in other words) and I do have a few other mods like extra civ pack enabled

In the first 6 turns of the game, before I researched anything on my own, I received 2 techs for free; before I finished my 2nd research, I got 4 more...(writing, archer etc) the speed at which I'm receiving techs seem really really fast.

Hmm... Do you think this mod could be enabled/disabled (Say, with a checkbox similar to how Kael handled the 'No Unit Icon' part of his Iceni mod)?

I ask because if this mod is not compatible with Queen of the Iceni (Mod List screen) or my own Economy Mod (same reason), or other mods that alter InGame.xml, then it would be easiest to just merge it. Having it toggleable would allow that without people being forced to use it.

Hmm... Do you think this mod could be enabled/disabled (Say, with a checkbox similar to how Kael handled the 'No Unit Icon' part of his Iceni mod)?

I ask because if this mod is not compatible with Queen of the Iceni (Mod List screen) or my own Economy Mod (same reason), or other mods that alter InGame.xml, then it would be easiest to just merge it. Having it toggleable would allow that without people being forced to use it.

IDK. I'm not a UI person. How would one go about adding a button or toggle to enable/disable anything?

Fixed and version 2 is in the Mod Browser. I forgot to divide by 100 at one point the calculation, so players were getting 100 times as many beakers as they should have.

Neither am I, really, though it's a bit easier with civ5 than it was for 4. From looking at Kael's method, there only seem to be two important parts to disable the icons.

In MiniMapPanel:
Code:
function OnHideUnitIconChecked( bIsChecked )
	LuaEvents.ToggleHideUnitIcon();
	Events.StrategicViewStateChanged();
end
Controls.HideUnitIcon:RegisterCheckHandler( OnHideUnitIconChecked );

And in UnitFlagManager:
Code:
local bHideUnitIcon = true;

LuaEvents.ToggleHideUnitIcon.Add(
function()
	if (bHideUnitIcon) then
		bHideUnitIcon = false;
	else
		bHideUnitIcon = true;
	end
end);

Then he just passed bHideUnitIcon into the function for displaying it.

Looks like you'd have to modify the minimappanel files, and then add a new function to your file which toggles a variable that controls whether your code runs or not. Doesn't seem hard at all, actually, but I haven't checked your code yet. :lol:

Tech Diffusion​

[...]manually merging InGame.xml[...]

This may be a very stupid question, but how does one go about doing that?
I'm using Active City Defense (Oh yea!), and I'd love to give this mod a try.
How do I merge that file, and with what? O_o

Out of curiosity can you place the formula you used for the tech increase for this mod?

Thanks in advance :)

Nice mod. But yes, I used version 1 and it was insanely fast teching. I will try out Version 2. What would make this perfect:

-Distance of other civilizations with the techs
-Open borders
-Maybe if your're at war with that civilization you will get an increase as well?

I see you are planning on adding this already though, cool!
Keep up the great work!

Out of curiosity can you place the formula you used for the tech increase for this mod?

Thanks in advance :)

The mathematical formula? Well, it's all pretty much in the mod... I can tell you the factors that affect it if you want.

Nice mod. But yes, I used version 1 and it was insanely fast teching. I will try out Version 2. What would make this perfect:

-Distance of other civilizations with the techs
-Open borders
-Maybe if your're at war with that civilization you will get an increase as well?

I see you are planning on adding this already though, cool!
Keep up the great work!

Distance is a hard one to do, but Open Borders and War already are factors. ;)

Top Bottom