Solar plant without desert

Confirmed. I switched production to a Solar Plant and played several more turns until the building actually completed. Save file attached. There also appears to be a bug with how the Solar Plant affects production. It's supposed to be 25%, but the game only shows a 20% bonus. Screenshots attached for both the original save game and for after the Solar Plant was built. I checked the math: The building really is giving only a 20% bonus (so it's not a display bug).

Moved and listed.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

Attachments

• Sonnenkraftwerk Bug 2.Civ5Save
    855.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Solar Plant not built.JPG
    Solar Plant not built.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Solar Plant built.JPG
    Solar Plant built.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 144
Just for clarification, the bonus is listed as 25% in the 1.0.0.621 XML

Code:
<Row>
	<BuildingType>BUILDING_SOLAR_PLANT</BuildingType>
	<YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
        <Yield>25</Yield>
</Row>

It will apear to only give a 20% bonus because you have other modifiers. It only gives 25% more from the base production. Say for example the cities base production is 10. You have a 50% modifier, so 15. Add solar plant, that will go to 17.5, not 18

I wouldn't go so far to call this a bug. The Crater usually spawns either in desert or tundra. Are you absolutely sure that the Crater itself doesn't tag the underlying tile as "desert AND tundra AND mountain"?

It will apear to only give a 20% bonus because you have other modifiers. It only gives 25% more from the base production. Say for example the cities base production is 10. You have a 50% modifier, so 15. Add solar plant, that will go to 17.5, not 18

Base production is the key as I've discovered. Same with penalties on production. At the very least the tool tip or description should note that this bonus/penalty is on base production only.

I wouldn't go so far to call this a bug. The Crater usually spawns either in desert or tundra. Are you absolutely sure that the Crater itself doesn't tag the underlying tile as "desert AND tundra AND mountain"?

In my current game, the crater definitely seems to work as a mountain for building an Observatory.

...I wonder if you could slap Machu Picchu on it.

Verified that BULDING_SOLAR_PLANT properly requires TERRAIN_DESERT in CIV5Buildings.xml:
<NearbyTerrainRequired>TERRAIN_DESERT</NearbyTerrainRequired>

I don't think it's possible for a tile to have more than one terrain. Terrains are typed by ID, it's not a Boolean attribute of some sort which would allow multiple terrains to be on. And natural wonders are features on top of terrain. I highly doubt that adding a feature would reclassify the underlying terrain. But, no, I can't be "absolutely sure".

That said, it's likely that the terrain the crater feature has spawned on was a desert originally, and that is still true. The tooltip only shows the feature for natural wonders, and calls it terrain, but internally they're not actually a type of terrain. It's still a bug, the test should be: ((if tile.terrain == DESERT) and (tile.feature != natural wonder)).

Verified that BULDING_SOLAR_PLANT properly requires TERRAIN_DESERT in CIV5Buildings.xml:
<NearbyTerrainRequired>TERRAIN_DESERT</NearbyTerrainRequired>

I don't think it's possible for a tile to have more than one terrain. Terrains are typed by ID, it's not a Boolean attribute of some sort which would allow multiple terrains to be on. And natural wonders are features on top of terrain. I highly doubt that adding a feature would reclassify the underlying terrain. But, no, I can't be "absolutely sure".

That said, it's likely that the terrain the crater feature has spawned on was a desert originally, and that is still true. The tooltip only shows the feature for natural wonders, and calls it terrain, but internally they're not actually a type of terrain. It's still a bug, the test should be: ((if tile.terrain == DESERT) and (tile.feature != natural wonder)).

Now that you mention it I noticed that sometimes, when quitting for main menu while in-between turns (you can do that), loading an autosave can sometimes "kill off" some of your units.

For example, on turn 200 your unit got killed. At the end of that turn the game automatically autosaves. If you quit and load an autosave from turn 198, there's a chance that same unit will get killed, prematurely, even if you're still in peace, but only provided the unit occupies the same space.

Something like this could've ocurred with the underlying terrain as well. Maybe in previous game the crater occupied a desert, but the game was quit (possibly a map reroll) and started again. The game cache didn't empty and the new crater, although in tundra, got tagged as desert.

Just a wild guess.

I don't think it's anything that complex. We don't know what the underlying terrain is for sure - it doesn't look like either tundra or desert, and the tooltip shows only the feature's name, yet calls it terrain. Hence the confusion. If they simply changed the tooltip to say: "Terrain: Desert Feature: Crater" then I don't think anybody would thing there's a problem.

Top Bottom