Standard earth (80x52) - 18 civs

Scenario:
This is a sandbox Earth map scenario with 18 civilizations at historic starting locations. There is a lot of competition with 18 civs: in warfare, with diplomacy and valuable real estate

Map:
This map plays fast to the very end of your typical game (i.e. if you build 5,000 warriors your computer may very likely explode!:nuke:) without having the best computer.

It's a standard size map loosely based off a cordiform projection. Compared to your standard Mercator projection, Europe is larger, Greenland has been shrunk immensely, and the Americas and eastern Asia are slightly reduced in size. Geography, by and large, remains true to the real world with the usual exceptions to help the game.

The map can be split into six zones of interest:

• Asia: The largest definable zone of the map, the north is typically settled by the Russians with the East being claimed by China until it runs into Siam who has its own area to claim in the south east. Which leaves Japan, safe but isolated on its home island, with the option to expand by sea or strike into coastal Asia.

• Middle-East: Split into three camps, Ottomans, Arabs and Persians, the middle east is a heavy conflict area. With solid fallback positions, thousand years animosity in the area is not uncommon. With a rich and fertile area, natural highway to different areas of the map, there is always reason for warfare here from the game start well into the industrial era.

• The Americas: With the Aztec, Iroquois and Americans all starting in north America, barring favorable diplomacy, there will be blood as all three try to control the richer areas. Meanwhile, the south American landmass remains largely untouched until enough resources are put into colonizing the rugged area.

• India: The Indian player has a great base to build a cultural empire here. With a neighbor to the east and the west, the ocean to the south and the very slow to travel through Himalayas to the north, India is one of the easiest areas to play in as a builder game, although expansion is limited.

• Africa: Relatively peaceful and unsettled with the Sahara and Congo being mostly remote and unattractive settling spots for the rest of the world, Songhai and Egypt have a good game here to build up and expand on their own terms. Just watch out for Mediterranean crossings or incursions from the Middle East.

• Europe: Split between French, Roman, German and Greek influences it's inevitable that conflict erupts here early and often. Then there is the Russian factor looming on the edge of eastern Europe, and the English in the relative safety of their islands, Europe is often a new political map every game.

Minimap screenshot is at the bottom of this post.

City States:
12 city states with their own names and pedia entries found throughout the world, the majority of which are in Asia, followed by Africa, the Americas and finally Europe with only one city state.

There is barely any maritime city states ;)

The high ratio of civilizations to city states means that competition over influence remains high. Shifting allegiances and loss of allies are not uncommon. City states being dragged into wars and doing a little conquering themselves can also occur.

Rules:
  • Custom ruleset and difficulty based off epic game speed with emperor difficulty.
  • Only one settler allowed at a time.
  • Mounted combat units receive the city penalty promotion.
  • Base embark movement is 3
  • Techs more expensive, settlers and workers cheaper
  • Quick combat is turned on (use worldbuilder to turn it off to regain battle animations).
  • All victory conditions are enabled: time, science, domination, cultural and diplomatic

Installation and play:

1. Download the attached zip file and extract into your documents / my games / civ5 / MODS directory
  2. Start up civ5, use MODS->accept->browse mods-> activate Standard Earth (80x52), go back
  3. Single Player->Set up game->Click Map Type->select "Standard Earth (80x52)"
  4. Make sure Load Scenario is checked!
  5. Pick your civ and Start Scenario

MOD Compatibility:

Lua scripts and UI Mods are compatible.

Balance mods will work fine as well, however their rules might be overwritten by the custom rules of this scenario, and vice versa

The major things to watch out for are mods that change (instead of append) the default indexes of units/technologies/buildings.

version history:
Spoiler :

• v.1.21 - 11/17/10
    made scripts use verbose=1 check before it prints out so to keep the lua.log spam down

removed the dependency on InGame.xml to load lua and as such removed the liberation boost mod component; easier to download and activate it on it's own if wanted

• v.1.2 - 11/12/10
    map tweaks: barrier reef fixed, russia's start got a forest axed away, fish at newfoundland, fish at liberia-ish african coast, updated lhasa's coal

city walls defense increased to 750 from 500

city penalty promotion is now a free promotion to mounted combat units

includes liberation boost mod component

lua now takes over the AI jap/brit early game. expansion and city builds, and scouts now leave the home island on optics

• v.1.1 - 10/25/10
    lua events added (AI freebies) check standardearth.lua for info

xml rule changes. eras sometimes went by too fast, so tech has been increased. settler/worker cost decreased, settlers limited, rest is mainly flavors to get island settling going. check rulechanges.xml for exact details

city states have all been named, and some of their resources have been moved around. for example, carthage's iron is now in sicily, or less luxuries for a new city state placed next to a luxury group from prior version. rio got axed, and 3 new city states (total of 12) were added.

map tweaks: japan main island got 2 new tiles and madagascar got some fish!

• v1.01 - 10/23/10
    removed marsh feature on grasslands located outside initial city locations but within their 3 tile border. natural cultural expansion would skip the marsh and AI didnt seem interested ever to buy the tiles

a few added bonus resources in siberia and NA west coast. AI wasn't expanding there as much in their initial city expansion because of the lack of food

tweaked city state resources slightly. better now but still needs fine tuning

siam got a banana boost

oil increased and oil in water tiles split and spread out

coal+aluminum boosted
  • v1
    first release

todo/wishlist:
Spoiler :

• always need more late game tests. autoplays reveal only so much, and most of these are stopped by the mid renaissance.

• nile delta the east grassland tile doesnt have a river bonus :confused::confused:

• make sure the AI does or doesnt use build order queues for city build management

• update settler canfound on destination status. they might not be able to and then it can potentially get stuck with the default AI expansion behavior

• use the icsing mod method for settlertrack, and write out rules to take over every AI's early expansion

• city states, while solid now, can still need more tweaking in regards to their strategic and luxury resources given out.

• axe useless islands or populate them with a city state or two. australia, new zealand, small pacific isles, atlantic, indian ocean: the AI doesn't care about these so they largely remain player only free gold/science/resources

• resources, much in line with city states todo, still need some attention. the goal is to have 'luxury zones', which is working, but i still feel the luxury side can use more fine tuning. strategic resources are well used with the only worry being modern era results, namely aluminum and uranium

• come up with, then nerf more gamey tactics

• the map can still use some bonus resources in some places. ukraine always gets my eye as one place that could use a little love, but then the consequence of one wheat there can totally throw out the balance of things. like the above point, a table tracking data over time would work great to dynamically add new resources to select plots/areas

• trim down loops and hardcoded indexes in the lua

• axe mongolian city state and put in the new civ. let them keep horses and see how it goes. mongols are going to add a whole new aspect to that part of asia and will need some testing

• check out more various db/xml changes. lots of cool mods that ive browsed/read that bring about good changes that could be placed here

• more lua events in line with player punishment but also some rewards would be fun:goodjob:

• more tracking/fixing of wandering/idle settlers and workers. they still can get stuck or just do nothing

• despite being unable to shape diplomacy directly, there's a lot of values that affect how AI interact. it would be great to influence establishment of power blocks, something i think this scenario can really benefit from

please post any ideas/bugs/help needed/feedback/criticism in this thread
enjoy!

Attachments

• 80x52_thumb.jpg
    80x52_thumb.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5,693
  • Standard earth (80x52) (v 1.21).zip
    27.2 KB · Views: 3,223
screenshots
Spoiler :

war with greeks after the british navy helped them get europe

can gandhi's little india get a cultural victory?

america dow on rome to liberate europe

rome 190 ad: 186 turns of war

persian sneak attack on russia while busy with rome in the west

need.. more.. oil..

Oh ! Nice ! That i wanted !

Great work, alas at the moment i uninstalled my version of Civ 5

new version uploaded, minor map tweaks

currently testing out events and one build cost increase: settlers. will see how that goes and either get another update this weekend or just scrap these tests altogether

version 1.1 upload. now needs to be MOD activated. settler changes i was testing took a 180, but i'm very happy with the pacing of expansion now which is what i was trying to get anyway. also using lua to do a couple of things in the game

probably something for first circumnavigation, first contact with the new/old world, the plague. just ideas at the moment

I like this scenario - can't whait until you implement Mongols ;)
Some questions/suggestions:
1.Could you point, how exacly did you change rules? I found rulechanges file and know most of changes - but I didn't learn modding yet and I am not sure of some updates.
2.Are you planning make bigger map with this projection?
3.Would you rescale game rules for other speeds and difficulty levels?
4.Could you rename map? Those "_" and numbers are not so pretty ;)
5.Are you planning to make this mod a scenario (like mongolian civ scenario)

I was going to ask something else, but I foregot :p
Great map and scenario :)

PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE SIZE OF THIS MAP!!!

The size is perfecto! If you make the map larger it will be too much like all of the other earth maps out there. What makes this map so much better is it's size (a) creates more conflict and (b) keeps the time between turns bearable.

BTW - Great job so far, and if you do make changes, please keep the size right where it is!

1.Could you point, how exacly did you change rules? I found rulechanges file and know most of changes - but I didn't learn modding yet and I am not sure of some updates.
3.Would you rescale game rules for other speeds and difficulty levels?
4.Could you rename map? Those "_" and numbers are not so pretty ;)
5.Are you planning to make this mod a scenario (like mongolian civ scenario)

I was going to ask something else, but I foregot :p
Great map and scenario :)
1- as of 1.1, asides from one settler per player, the rules are the same just some values (costs for example) got changed
2- no
3- no
4- noted :lol:
5- yes id like to add some flavor with some goals/missions. for example human player is brit, discovers ocean travel tech, then offer rewards for circumnavigation, colonies. for romans, offer rewards for conquering, stuff like that. lots of civs to do though, and not enough ideas for all of them, but its something to look forward to eventually

A very good map, just the size my comp can afford.

Playing the japanese, I had maybe too much ease settling in Mankuria but that should be solved when mongols are added. The other down side being I was able to settle south eastern asian islands without opposition. (well, mostly what i think is new zealand, gold/gems, and what I think is Philippine, sugar/pearls/one other ?) Only solution I see would be to have the AIs consider long range colonisation before late game. (the 'problem' should be the same for all human played eastern civs : resource guaranteed if you move before industrial age)

with the tests ive ran with the mongols they either had russia or china overran or near to it by 500AD. they need some attention to fit right but at the moment i'm trying out different ways to help the AI jap and brit

for your case though, a good outcome i think would of been china settling in manchuria and siam grabbing some islands.

if the lua stuff im doing for japan/england works well i'll have siam use some of it so it moves into the islands instead of steaming into china as it usually does. china on the other hand should just be more aggressive on the expansion. sometimes it is, other times its not. the AI can easily get stuck in a loop trying to build the early wonders, only to get beat, trying at another wonder and get beat again. thats more scripting needed to correct the AI's city build

human japan can be real easy. grab the islands and you're set, no one is ever going to invade. removing some resources if a player moves in is an option ive thought about to make things a little harder, although i'd prefer to see an AI china actively harassing human japan player

What about using free version of Babylon, the barebone one ?

i didnt know there was one

you can add babylon in the world builder, but its going to be a very tight fit with persia probably coming on top most of the time

What do you plan for the next version ?

v1.2 uploaded: asides from a few rule stuff main thing with 1.2 was taking over jap/brit early expansion.

as for the next versions i'm going to be using that lua and apply it to other civs that i think could use some help on the early expansion and direction, unless something real fun pushes me in a whole other direction ;)

Any news here ?

The Mongols work properly on your Standard Earth ?

What wouldn't be creating a version with official DLC Babylon ?

Top Bottom