Congratulations to CFC for getting us FREE DLC! (the mongols)

Me 2! But I though Genghis Khan was already in the game, just with his real name and not the more infamous title?

Maybe this is in another thread, but I also note in that post that Babylon will be available for only $5.

There was grousing before release that a civ wasn't worth $10, but might be worth $5. Sounds like 2k agrees.

While a free DLC is appreciated, how is that in any way fair to the people that bought the D2D package. Will they use up one of their free DLCs for a free DLC?

At least it's a start by Firaxis in admitting that there is a problem here.

The Mongol Civ does sound pretty decent though. Terrorizing city states sounds good and horsemen are pretty powerful in Shafer 5 as it is. Adding an extra movement will make them every better. :lol:

My favourite Civ is getting some love. :D

Should have been in the game to begin with.

As someone else said, it's just a marketing ploy. What better way to calm the masses than by giving away "free" DLC. This was obviously decided pre-release.

I'll take it though. :D

I'd rather have the patch that they outlined a few days ago, but I guess I can't complain about free stuff.

Should have been in the game to begin with.

As someone else said, it's just a marketing ploy. What better way to calm the masses than by giving away "free" DLC. This was obviously decided pre-release.

I'll take it though. :D

I'll take free DLC as well. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the many other issues with the game but it is a small step in the right direction.

It definitely is a marketing ploy though. Damage control.

Somebody made a good comment on that article. If you purchased the Digital Seluxe on Direct2Drive, you got ciV Deluxe, Babylon, and the first DLC free. I took that offer with the "school sucks" promo to get it all for $49.99 USD. So that means my first "free" DLC was free anyway...
Hmm... I have supported ciV so far, but it really seems that deception is running rampant at 2K these days.

Kind of reminds of the "uh, guys... the super-secret unit IS the GDR" announcement. They were forced to make THAT announcement because we were all trying to figure out what the "REALLY specific way you have to play" to get the super-secret unit was.

What will be the spin for my first DLC for free being a... FREE DLC??? This should be good.

Don't be fooled, this was totally planned.

God, people will complain even with a free DLC. First, it was stuff that was taken from the game to sell later as DLC. Now the DLC is free and "OMG, it was all a marketing ploy". I, for one, am glad they are release a new Civ for free, planned or not.

God, people will complain even with a free DLC. First, it was stuff that was taken from the game to sell later as DLC. Now the DLC is free and "OMG, it was all a marketing ploy". I, for one, am glad they are release a new Civ for free, planned or not.

I would be happy for free dlc too, if not for the fact that I bought into a promo for a first dlc free, when it was in fact already PLANNED to be free. You don't see problem with that?

For the record, despite ciV's problems with bugs/diplomacy (I'm still having fun with it, though), this is the first complaint I have vocalized. Issues with the game are highly subjective. Deceptive marketing is a completely different story.

Yep. But i am also glad that people voiced their opinions and the 'shut up and go play Civ4', and 'get with the times' echo's didnt silence people, also that the point of these posted comments (someone in charge to take notice), worked.

I thought there were 18 genghis' already in the game, frankly i just want the AI and the diplomacy fixed.

Somebody made a good comment on that article. If you purchased the Digital Seluxe on Direct2Drive, you got ciV Deluxe, Babylon, and the first DLC free. I took that offer with the "school sucks" promo to get it all for $49.99 USD. So that means my first "free" DLC was free anyway...
Hmm... I have supported ciV so far, but it really seems that deception is running rampant at 2K these days.

Kind of reminds of the "uh, guys... the super-secret unit IS the GDR" announcement. They were forced to make THAT announcement because we were all trying to figure out what the "REALLY specific way you have to play" to get the super-secret unit was.

What will be the spin for my first DLC for free being a... FREE DLC??? This should be good.

Don't be fooled, this was totally planned.
Then you have an issue with Direct2Drive, the one that actually offered that deal.

You could try to invoke some conspiracy theories between Direct2Drive and 2K, but it's not that far-fetched to believe that Direct2Drive was simply offering an incentive to purchase from them, not knowing what the first DLC would actually be. I mean, I could be totally wrong about this and that's fine, but it's a bit of a leap that this was all schemed by 2K to make extra money for Direct2Drive, of all distributors -- a company I just really doubt they'd care to put themselves on the line for to concoct such a deception (esp. at the expense of Valve, a company they are directly working with, who did not get in on any of this deceptive goodness).

I understand the motivations behind DLC and the fact that really game prices havent increased much the past few years. I was thinking though rather than giving certain ones for free what if with purchase they gave a number of points that could be redeemed for DLC's so people could pick and choose what they wanted for free and then purchase after that. Probably not a popular idea but if DLC is here giving users more control over what they get for free is good (provided "balanced AI" isnt a DLC)

I would be happy for free dlc too, if not for the fact that I bought into a promo for a first dlc free, when it was in fact already PLANNED to be free. You don't see problem with that?

For the record, despite ciV's problems with bugs/diplomacy (I'm still having fun with it, though), this is the first complaint I have vocalized. Issues with the game are highly subjective. Deceptive marketing is a completely different story.
The free DLC was probably a D2D promo, unrelated to 2K. You still don't know if this is what will count as free DLC.

What to you think is more likely? A blatant lie by 2K that would certainly be found out as soon as the DLC would be announced or that the poor reception due to bugs made them rethink releasing a paid DLC one month after release? That they felt they could apologize a little by releasing the first DLC free? Call me naive, but I think the second scenario is much more likely.

Exactly this! :goodjob:

Also, I think that US$5 per Civ is very expensive. I was thinking more along the lines of US$2.5 per Civ. But I think this is just for the Babylon civ, as it was part of the Deluxe bundle. If they announce more Civs at US$5, they I think we have all right to complain about abusive DLC.

Then you have an issue with Direct2Drive, the one that actually offered that deal.

You could try to invoke some conspiracy theories between Direct2Drive and 2K, but it's not that far-fetched to believe that Direct2Drive was simply offering an incentive to purchase from them, not knowing what the first DLC would actually be. I mean, I could be totally wrong about this and that's fine, but it's a bit of a leap that this was all schemed by 2K to make extra money for Direct2Drive, of all distributors -- a company I just really doubt they'd care to put themselves on the line for to concoct such a deception (esp. at the expense of Valve, a company they are directly working with, who did not get in on any of this deceptive goodness).

First, try NOT being so condescending. I'm not some wingnut conspiracy theorist. I just think a lot of people are buying into an obvious ego-stroke on 2K's part.

It seems FAR too coincidental to me that D2D had this offer, and now 2K is saying "oh yeah, this is all because we value your community SO much." Sounds like as much bunk to me. And this will be the last time I bother responding to you, since it seems you can't help but to be uncivil.

Top Bottom