Ghengis Khan and the Mongol Terror

Trickster7135

Prince
Soon to be released free DLC: http://apolyton.net/content.php/162-Genghis-Khan-released-as-FREE-DLC-on-October-25th

The thread that has been made in general forums for this has been reduced to b:)tching and crying about patches, bugs, DLC, ect... so lets just discuss strategy of this new civ, k?

Mongols ability is: "Mongol Terror", which means: "Combat strength +30% when fighting City-State units or attacking a City-State itself. All mounted units receive +1 movement points"

Looks like the Greeks have a new rival in the best horsemen strategy.

The Mongols have two unique units; the well known Keshik and the Khan.

Keshik: Replaces Knight
225 Hammers
5 Move
2 Range
R. Str: 13
Str. 8
Req. 1 Horse

Earns Promotion at double rate. Battles contribute double to Great General Progress

Khan: Replaces Great General
5 Move
Same combat bonus. Is a double medic. Each unit around it heals an additional 2 per turn

I don't think any strategy can be discussed until we find out what The Khan does... He's definitely more than just a unique unit. He's also obviously very integral.

From the SS I saw, the Khan does look to be a unique GG! That would be pretty awesome :)

Edit: except I just thought about how bad AI's are with GG's and got sad :(

From the SS I saw, the Khan does look to be a unique GG! That would be pretty awesome :)

Edit: except I just thought about how bad AI's are with GG's and got sad :(
It might be the case where the change with him being a unique GG makes the AI use it wisely

Great general that can fight? I'm not sure how eras would be handled though.

The UA is ok. City state fighting doesn't really help as it's rare that you find yourself fighting them. Additional movement for horses could be very good, depending on if they nerf horses at all.

EDIT: See http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/civilization-5-mongols-and-babylonian-civilizations/3478870/#/3 for a screenshot containing the Khan and, I think, the Keshik, which doesn't seem to be a horseman replacement.

Keshiks replacing knights makes a bunch of sence considering that the Mongols were kicking arse in the medieval era, not the classical era.

Keshiks replacing knights makes a bunch of sence considering that the Mongols were kicking arse in the medieval era, not the classical era.

That was my thought as well.

Looking at the Khan in the SS it doesn't look like a combat unit. My best guess is that it's like the Great General but has a much higher movement speed to keep up with the mounted armies.

Hrm. Well the anti-CS bonuses will be useful for the AI, I guess.

+1 movement on mounted is quite good. I guess we shall see what the Khan is, but other than that it seems like you'll be aiming to end games before the Industrial Age when you will essentially have no bonuses hehe.

Erm, guys, Khan is just as a common title as Sheriff or Prince. It can given to a leader of a small tribe as well as a king of an entire subcontinent. As such, it might be a Unique Great General (although the chinese already have those), a foot unit, an artillery piece, or a lancer replacement. Basically anything that gives synergy with Keshiks.

Judging by that screenshot the Khan really is a great general replacement. Probably with 4 movement so he can keep up with the rest of the mounted army.

And the Keshik seems to be some kind of mounted archer, judging by the Keshik's icon in this screenshot:http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/civilization-5-mongols-and-babylonian-civilizations/3478870/#/1

It could be a Knight replacement similair to the Arabian Camel Archer, but it could also be a Chariot Archer replacement. Possibly with the ability to move after attacking and without the rough terrain penalty.

You might be able to rush a neighboring city state with 2 warriors, or warrior plus scout with mongol terror. Could be interesting for getting a crucial 2nd city very early without building settlers, or ammassing a very early empire of puppets to bring in research and gold.

I think Mongol Terror is interesting because it has something to benefit the AI as well as something to benefit the human player.

Attack bonus vs city states will help the AI, but smart humans don't attack city states much so it's uselees. +1 movement for mounted on the other hand will give minor benefits to AI, but will be extremely powerful in the hands of a human doing a Horseman rush.

I think if the Mongols took over city-states, then "we" would have to liberate them, to get the eternal love in return.

Could make some interesting scenarios.

I think if the Mongols took over city-states, then "we" would have to liberate them, to get the eternal love in return.

Could make some interesting scenarios.

I think it would be very interesting if the XML data gave Ghengis Khan a very low priority for attacking city-states, wasting his ability in the hands of the AI, just like how Alexander has a very high priority for attacking city-states, ruining his fantastic leader trait.

to me it looks like this mongol terror will bring one more problem. there`s always an AI who rolls over CS`s and then proceed to own their whole landmass. Genghis will make it even sooner. The game will be even more of a duel between human player (who rushed his continent) vs. superpower AI on the other landmass.

Maybe the bonus is just for the scenario. Anyways, massive bonuses for attacking city states is a completely useless ability (even worse than the Ottomans' one).

Maybe the bonus is just for the scenario. Anyways, massive bonuses for attacking city states is a completely useless ability (even worse than the Ottomans' one).

Don't forget the +1 movement for all horse units, which is incredible.

Khan as an unit? do i can produce khan on my cities? Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, Tamer Khan (upps its laing/lane not Khan), dont know what other think, but i found it funny.

Top Bottom