Patch 1.0.0.62 - City Governor lets city starve

lschnarch

Emperor
As described (and partially discussed in this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=393537), there seems to be an error with the City Governor ("production focus").

In short, if setting the "production focus" it may happen that the governor let's the city starve.

To the best of my memory, this has not happened previously, although people are reporting that it did.
Anyway, with the new patch it has happened to me for the first time, yet for three different cities. This seems to indicate that something *has* changed and not for the better.

Actually, it renders the governor almost obsolete, if you have to manually adjust each and everything.

Note: Sorry for the strange way of linking, but at the moment I cannot add the link via "insert link". An error message comes up:

Attachments

• error message.jpg
    error message.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 263
I've just played a game where my capital grew to size 5 and immediately starved down to size 4 again the following turn. It was in particularly poor tundra location but even tundra produces 1 food.

I can confirm that and it is really annoying when you don't want your cities to shrink.

Gao is in size 5 and stagnated at this point:

songhai1.jpg

After clicking next turn:

songhai2.jpg

It drops to size 4 without warning. What's happening here? My guess is that a governor switches a 1-food tile to a silver mine worker just repaired causing starvation. He shouldn't do it in a first place, and certainly a city shouldn't starve during just one turn like that. :mad: This is a version 1.0.0.62.

View attachment Askia_0060 BC-1600.Civ5Save

With the new patch, the production emphasis/focus in cities seems to be too willing to let them starve.

In the example savegame I've attached, the capital city has just grown to size 2 this turn. Going into the city and selecting emphasise production would cause the city to have -1 net food, and would thus shrink to size 1 straight away.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think emphasise production was working so badly before the .62 patch.

Screenshots: (before and after selecting production emphasis) (note that the food basket is also bugged, and should look like it is empty in this scenario rather then full)
Spoiler :

EDIT
Just realised I missed the existing bug report. Anyway, here is more evidence and another gamesave.
Moderator Action: Threads merged. :D

Attachments

• Emp Production bad.Civ5Save
    352.1 KB · Views: 192
I have noticed this as well. I don't really have anything to prove it, I thought I was noticing it more because of how frustrated and how many times I've banged my head onto my desk being irked with the sudden worsening of AI trading and the "promised land" of the road-to pathing being fixed proven wrong the first time I tried to get a worker to build a five-hex road it decided to at least become a 7-hex road by kinking it to a side :/

So far, 1.0.0.62 seems to be worse than 1.0.0.20. :/

Meanwhile, even the default focus let's cities starve.

I am at 1:( and having my capital on "default focus". Yet, the governor let's people starve while their children are crying of hunger.
Enough food is available.

Screenshot and savegame will come in a minute.

Attachments

• Kyoto_starving.jpg
    Kyoto_starving.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 99_Kyoto_starving.zip
    747.1 KB · Views: 186
It is not governor.

Just city starve if it is food neutral after grow. If I take guess, I will say that food basket is negative after grow.
So, even with out governor, if you make your city food neural after grow (May be only on supplies food of 1), city will starve.

Horrible bug, as city may simple do not have ties to give it +1 food manually to prevent starvation.

I encountered what I believe is a bug in my most recent game. I have the latest patch (not sure the exact version number, and don’t have access to my PC as I am currently at work).

Here is the issue – I captured a city from an AI, and made it a puppet. In doing so, the population went down to size 1. The city has a gold mine in its influence, and since the AI is telling the city to focus on gold production, guess what tile the city chooses to work? Yep – the gold mine – which means it has exactly zero growth.

I have to trick the AI into growing by pillaging my own mine to make it chose a different tile to work. Once the city grew to size 2, I re-built the mine, after which the tiles worked became the mine again and a coast tile (had the most gold available). Guess what – no growth again!

I have to pillage the mine again (and later replace a trading post on a plain with a farm) to force the city to choose tiles that will allow it to grow.

This seems like a bug to me – has anyone else seen this happen?

I can post a save later if that would help.

EDIT: Figured it was already reported. I searched but couldn't find this thread. Thanks for merging!

The emphasize is better since that patch. Before the patch it was like this:

This is real funny. If I let my governor focus on hammers I do 24 a turn. If I focus on culture I do 25 a turn. How is this possible?

EDIT: On food focus it is even 39 hammers... :s

But now the starving is indeed the problem, I discovered it too. I don't know how this was in Civ IV, but the govenor should at least let your city stagnant. And preferable let it grow (because when it grows you can add additional citizens to hexes or let the unemployed which gives production +1 etc.).

Because if you start a new game and want to focus on production and there is a hill, your city will remain size 1...

Top Bottom