Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

View Poll Results: Worst Civ Ever?
Civ I (Vanilla) 27 3.46%
Civ II (Vanilla) 23 2.94%
Civ III (Vanilla) 120 15.36%
Civ IV (Vanilla) 42 5.38%
Civ Rev 222 28.43%
Civ V (Vanilla) 347 44.43%
Voters: 781. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:34 PM   #1
C~G
Untouchable
 
C~G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,145
Worst version of Civ EVER?

You know the drill.
Same as with that other poll about Best version, here's poll for the worst version.

I bet there are lot of u haters (for whatever version that is) so bring it on!

You can remind us also shortly why it's the worst.

Keep it civil.
C~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:53 PM   #2
lschnarch
Emperor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,296
I was unsure whether to vote for Civ3 or Civ0.V.

Since the design AND its implementation are so poor in 0.V, I voted for this.

Civ1 was brilliant at its time, Civ2 was apparently made with so much love and Civ4, regardless of all its flaws, allowed for brilliant mods due to a consistent game design.
All of this I miss in 0.V
lschnarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Chibiabos
Prince
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 424
I have played every PC version of Civilization, and of those, Civ V is the worst.

However, I cannot answer the poll as it includes Civ Rev which I have never played, and after feeling disappointed with the $50 I blew on Civ V, I certainly don't feel compelled to shell out $300 to buy a console and another $50 or whatever to shell out on Civ Rev just to say I have played it so I could give a more honest, definitive answer to this poll.

In terms of vanilla versions, I'd say Civ V is even worse than Civ IV:Colonization which without Dale's patch is pretty bad compared with the rest of the series and expansions.
__________________
The ability to make a movie is much closer to everyone's grasp than most people realize. Join myself and others to learn how, share your talents and expertise, and collaborate on grassroots independent filmmaking projects at http://loupguru.com/Community/
Chibiabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Skwink
Bye
 
Skwink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,566
Civ 4 had a TON of bugs at release. BTS was great though.
Skwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Mutineer
Deity
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,613
I voted for civ 3. Corruption and other stuff just killed it for me in civ 3 straight away and otherwise there was nothing interesting.

Civ 5 is very bad, but because it had 1UPT + hexes and I never played hex based combat game before it had some novelty for me.
Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:27 PM   #6
PieceOfMind
Drill IV Defender
 
PieceOfMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,291
CivRev hands down. I can understand people being disappointed with civ5 and even not liking it at all, but CivRev still has nothing on it. Perhaps those voting for civ5 have not played civrev?

So far on the forum, I have not seen many arguments for civrev being a better game than civ5. Would be interesting to see how that position gets put forward.
__________________
Tip: Forcing Steam's Offline Mode
Civ4 Mods: Advanced Combat Odds, PIG Mod(discontinued), HEX Mod(discontinued)
Suggestion: Try karadoc's K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword
Read if bored: Zoom-To-Cursor, Good advice from Kaell for DX11 users, Nvidia beats AMD in Civ V
PieceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Skwink
Bye
 
Skwink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfMind View Post
CivRev hands down. I can understand people being disappointed with civ5 and even not liking it at all, but CivRev still has nothing on it. Perhaps those voting for civ5 have not played civrev?

So far on the forum, I have not seen many arguments for civrev being a better game than civ5. Would be interesting to see how that position gets put forward.
I like Rev for DS. It's great for long trips and stuff like that.
Skwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Osetjka
Gondorian Armor Command
 
Osetjka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 71
Voted for ciV. It simply had little to no wow factor whatsoever for me, even in the first couple of games (many ended in chores and frustration, in fact). The new hex tiles and great graphics were quickly overshadowed by gameplay issues, atrocious UI and many missing features (from cIV vanilla, not post-Warlords). But I'll stop right there - there's already more than enough discussion about those in the forum.

What amazes me is that despite of what people said about cIV being very divisive and disappointing during release (which I could find little to no evidence of in the forum archives) the game at the moment holds the lowest vote count for being the worst in the series w/o expansions.

Of course, like others here I've never played Revolutions, so I can't really comment on that. However, from what I had read it was marketed more towards casual gamers. And I'm fine with that - it wasn't the main entry in the franchise and in my opinion shouldn't be judged on the same standards as previous civ games, as it was more of a Civilization-lite. Only later did we find out that ciV was developed with similar undertones, a month after the game was released..
__________________
Destroyer vs. Longbow is the new Tank vs. Spearmen
Osetjka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Justicex
Prince
 
Justicex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfMind View Post
CivRev hands down. I can understand people being disappointed with civ5 and even not liking it at all, but CivRev still has nothing on it. Perhaps those voting for civ5 have not played civrev?

So far on the forum, I have not seen many arguments for civrev being a better game than civ5. Would be interesting to see how that position gets put forward.
I have been promoting Rev over V for a little while now. Rev may not be IV BtS, but is sure has it all over V. Having said that, both games are great and I enjoy all the hours I've spent with both. Looking forward to many maore
Justicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Black Gate
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olympia Theatre, Dublin
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwink Caesar View Post
I like Rev for DS. It's great for long trips and stuff like that.
That game is horrible! The UI doesn't tell you anything, and battle is so cheesy. They shouldn't have ever put such a large game on such a tiny processor.
Black Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:25 PM   #11
AriochIV
Analyst
 
AriochIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,460
There's no way Civ V is worse than Civ Rev. People are letting their anger cloud their judgement.
AriochIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Chibiabos
Prince
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 424
Nah, most of us avoided shelling out $300 for a console and $50 for the game, so couldn't rate it in determining which was the worst Civ game. I also notice CTP wasn't included -- which is good, as I didn't like what I read about it when it came out and decided not to get it.

Of all the Sid Meier's Civilization series for the PC, Civ V has successfully supplanted Civilization IV: Colonization (vanilla) as my least favorite in the series. Congratulations, Civ V team!
__________________
The ability to make a movie is much closer to everyone's grasp than most people realize. Join myself and others to learn how, share your talents and expertise, and collaborate on grassroots independent filmmaking projects at http://loupguru.com/Community/
Chibiabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Left Foot
Chieftain
 
Left Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Posts: 67
Civ 3 hands downs. The corruption, the city-flipping with the now-you-have-20-units-now-you-don't factor, the awful diplomacy (Turn 100: you are my bestest friend in the universe! Turn 101: Die scum!).

Followed by Civ 5.

Never played and have no intention of playing Civ Rev.
Left Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:11 PM   #14
PieceOfMind
Drill IV Defender
 
PieceOfMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,291
Just a thought, but if you haven't played civrev and are therefore voting for civ5 (or any of the others for that matter) because it's (believed) the worst of the main series, perhaps this poll is doomed to failure.

Honestly, if this poll ends up showing that civ5 is a worse game than civrev for the people who voted, something about this forum would just not make sense anymore. We have people complaining about dumbed down games, yet a game that is streamlined much more harshly than civ5 is considered to be more acceptable. (sarcasm removed)
__________________
Tip: Forcing Steam's Offline Mode
Civ4 Mods: Advanced Combat Odds, PIG Mod(discontinued), HEX Mod(discontinued)
Suggestion: Try karadoc's K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword
Read if bored: Zoom-To-Cursor, Good advice from Kaell for DX11 users, Nvidia beats AMD in Civ V

Last edited by PieceOfMind; Oct 24, 2010 at 02:32 AM.
PieceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:13 PM   #15
Skwink
Bye
 
Skwink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfMind View Post
Just a thought, but if you haven't played civrev and are therefore voting for civ5 because it's (believed) the worst of the main series, perhaps this poll is doomed to failure.

Honestly, if this poll ends up showing that civ5 is a worse game than civrev, something about this forum would just not make sense anymore. We have people complaining about dumbed down games, yet a game that is streamlined much more harshly than civ5 is considered to be more acceptable.
I agree. So far this poll shows that most people here would prefer Rev over V.

But all polls have flaws. So far, mine says the worst is Civ I.
Skwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:15 PM   #16
Psyringe
Scout
 
Psyringe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfMind View Post
So far on the forum, I have not seen many arguments for civrev being a better game than civ5. Would be interesting to see how that position gets put forward.
Perhaps people are holding it to different standards since it was a console game. From what I heard about, it should indeed lead this poll hands down. But I never played it (the last console I owned was an Atari VCS 2600), so I can't answer the poll.

Excluding CivRev, I think the answer depends on the frame of reference. Civ5 is definitely the version that fell most short (can you say that?) of the fans' expectations, and the one that fell most short of the standards for 4x games at the time of its release. On the other hand, if we ignore the release dates and just compare the gameplay, then Civ1 is probably worst: incompetent AI (throws units at you piecemeal, can't handle ZOC, can't handle naval invasions, will gang up on you to prevent you from winning), imbalanced cheesy strategies (ICS, conquer the world with 3 tanks, hoard money and buy everything, etc.), and much less content than the other games of the series (no multilateral diplomacy, no religion, fixed governments ...). The surprising thing is how close Civ5 comes to Civ1 in this comparison, basically you just need to exchange "tanks" for "horsemen", and interpret "fixed governments" a bit differently, and you can say the very same things about Civ5.
Psyringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:25 PM   #17
turboraton
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Civilization 3 for me and almost every peruvian is the WORST vainilla release.
turboraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:26 PM   #18
PieceOfMind
Drill IV Defender
 
PieceOfMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,291
Psyringe, yes, and here we come back round to the discussion we had about this many weeks ago.

The fact that civ4 was so enormously successful meant that civ5 had very big shoes to fill. A lot of people simply can't allow themselves to see the decent but imperfect game for what it is because of their enormous expectations they had from having experienced the joy of civ4.

It really is the case that if this game had been called civrev2 people would be raving about it. I think there is a problem with people's judgement of games if so much depends on what its name is.

EDIT
And personally I hold civrev to the same standards I do with every video game. Perhaps that is why I fail to see many positives about the game, unlike those who say there is some good fun to be had with it. Yes it can be played on a portable handheld, but so can civ4 on a decent netbook (I think?). I don't treat consoles and PCs like they are fundamentally different realms.
__________________
Tip: Forcing Steam's Offline Mode
Civ4 Mods: Advanced Combat Odds, PIG Mod(discontinued), HEX Mod(discontinued)
Suggestion: Try karadoc's K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword
Read if bored: Zoom-To-Cursor, Good advice from Kaell for DX11 users, Nvidia beats AMD in Civ V

Last edited by PieceOfMind; Oct 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
PieceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:31 PM   #19
Methos
HoF Quattromaster


 
Methos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12,952
I voted for Civ Rev, but in all honesty I haven't played it much. I got it for my iPhone and never could get into the game, so ended up deleting it off my phone. All past versions of Civ I spent many, many hours on, so they're not even possible choices. The simply fact I couldn't get drawn into Civ Rev was enough for me to place my vote for it.
__________________
My SG History

Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, HOF Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:56 PM   #20
kiwitt
Road to War Modder
 
kiwitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ (GMT+12)
Posts: 5,026
I voted CivRev - because I was never motivated enough to buy it. I would have bought Civ 1, but by then Civ 2 was out and I was hooked.
__________________
Modern Earth 1.3, which has over 1100 cities and 6,000 units, including lots of terrorists - ouch !!! - It should be called the Road to War on Terror - 1,000+ downloads
The Road to War - Historical 1.04a" - which is based on The Road to War - Original and has already had 5,000+ downloads. Dale (author of The Road to War) says "But what KiwiTT has done is take my core and expand the realism to form a version of RtW that is pleasing for the hard-cores. For that, KiwiTT gets a dip of my hat.
For future developments and info on these are future mods see ... Facebook/TheRoadToWar"
*** Need help installing Civ4 onto Vista/7/8 read my thread in here *** IOT GM of the year for 2011 for Iron and Blood 1
kiwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions > Worst version of Civ EVER?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR