[FIXED] Combat Problems with 1.0.0.621: Can't attack, no valid adjacent enemy unit

kuukkeli

King
I posted this to a thread in general discussion but I think it belongs to here as well:

I've had some weird stuff going on after the latest patch.

1) For a couple of times I've ended with more than one unit in the same hex. Seems to happen especially with ranged units that have already fired - a melee unit just walks to same hex and it becomes impossible to choose ranged unit.

2) At times units are unable to attack even though I think they should be able to do so. Here my horseman is trying to attack Ecbatana. He has 1 move left (started the turn on grassland east of Tarsus) but according to UI "No valid adjacent enemy target" even though the city is right there. Also the horseman is at full health, the red hit point bar belongs to catapult that is again in the same hex.

I haven't noticed this kind of behavior before the hotfix.

--

I'm thinking that path finding has gone broken. If I remember correctly it wasn't possible to attack through your units before the patch (probably because failing to destroy the target would cause you to retreat to an occupied hex). Now I right clicked the city when horseman was on that grassland and path finding chose the route through my catapult. Seems that attack is still impossible even though I already occupy the tile I'd retreat to :crazyeye:

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I did have enough move to attack legally: initial grassland and the two following hills all have roads so they'd use 1½ move, NE to hill with sheep costs another 2 leaving me with ½ move to attack the city. Now it shows that I have only 1 move left which suggests that I paid for the attack that never happened.

This post should be split into two separate threads.

I think the first issue (more than 1 unit in a tile) looks like a bug.

The second issue (unable to attack when stacked) is probably not a bug. It is possible that you're not allowed to attack if you're stacked. If this is a change in 1.0.0.621, it might represent an undocumented bug fix that came live.

Here's the save from the exact moment the screenshot of #2 was taken. Horseman in question should be currently selected unit.

I have noticed that when moving into fog of war you can move onto an enemy unit if you have movement points remaining. I can't see how this could apply when moving on top of your own unit.

An interesting save game, because it reveals more gameplay horror.

I guess if the horseman attacks the Persian city it will retreat which creates an illegal situation, because
the tile is already occupied with a unit with out of movement points.

The next turn, suddenly, a Persian longsword is also present in the city, while
there's already a crossbow garrisoning the city.
After capturing the Persian city, the phantom Persian unit (longsword) is still there in the city.

With the 1.0.0.62 patch I had similar situation where I couldn't see and activate one of my Khans, while it was only sharing a tile with one military unit.

This was tested with the 1.0.0.621 patch.
Btw, I was forced to update this patch while being on-line.
I guess after every update, Steam stays in the on-line mode, so
I'll to have check it every time I've done an update and set Steam back in the off-line mode. Very annoying.

I take this comment as a confirmation -> Moderator Action: Moved.

An interesting save game, because it reveals more gameplay horror.

We could make a contest for the most bugged savegame.../sarcasm.

I'm getting this too but for a Caravel vs a Priateer.

Moderator Action: Please do not narc a four year old bug thread marked as fixed. A new thread should be created instead.

Top Bottom