Does anyone having a CPU AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ play Civ5?

ambrox62

Emperor
Spoiler :

I've realized playing Civ5 that CPU overheats just after 15-20 runtime mins.
When temp reaches 63°C the game freezes and stutters for 3-4 minutes, with CPU at 95-100% while temp drops down quickly

I wonder if anyone having the same CPU can play without troubles, otherwise which cooler he bought to solve the issue. I think it needs a top class cooler to get rid of a 25°C increase in so short time

Spoiler :

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,104
  • temp2.jpg
    temp2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,124
  • temp3.jpg
    temp3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,118
Sounds like throttling to protect against overheating. It reduces the CPU clock to maybe 50% to let the computer cool off. I had similar problems on my laptop in graphic intense games. My advice, clean out the fan of any dust (PROPERLY!!!). On my laptop I pretty much had to unscrew the entire heat sink and then screw the fan portion of the graphic card off. There was alot of hidden (really, hidden! can't be seen from outside!) dust. I also replaced the thermal compund connecting the cpu/gpu to the heatsink, but that may have been overkill.

How long has it been since you cleaned your fans/heatsink from dust?

EDIT: The above procedure reduced my temperatures by almost 25 degrees back then, I think o_O

-civ BEAVER

Indeed, 63°C is the temperature where a x2 6000 starts throttling.
Dusting off would be a good first step.
Also make sure that you have a good airflow in your system.

Voltage looks a bit to high. The 125W X2 6000 is specified for 1.35-1.40V. Try setting it to 1.38 in the BIOS and countercheck with coretemp which voltage the board actually applies.

If it is still throttling after that, you could try some fresh thermal glue.

The 125W 3GHz+ X2s are really pushing the envelope of the K8 design and the energy consumption is dependent on the specific CPU specimen and also the used mainboard.

It's probably not worth the investment in a new cooler, as those things really need a high-end (=expensive) one. If your board supports it, it might be even cheaper to switch to a modern CPU :D

Thanks guys ;)

I never opened the cabinet before.
I removed lots of solid grey dust from the fan, the heat sink below the fan and all around the cooler. I'm not skilled enough to separate CPU from heat sink replacing thermal paste, so I only clean from the outside.
As results, temp now stays around 48-52°C playing Civ5 in windowed mode (see the attachment), and it seems enough to let me play, although it is still a high temp I guess.

The second step will be to add a cabinet fan, because there are no fan inside at the moment.

Again I wonder if I'm the only man playng Civ5 with the Athlon 64 CPU described in the title. I'm just curious to compare my temp with others.

Attachments

• temp_new.jpg
    temp_new.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 129
52* is nothing to worry about I think. My laptop was hitting 95 degrees before I cleaned it out! Laptops do get warmer overall though.

Top Bottom