Iceco

Warlord

Not Another City States Mod (v. 11)
---- by Iceco

Features
  • Really great Readme.html in which I put way more effort than this post
    Seriously, read that one instead.
  • Modular design
    Don't like a city-state? Have another mod already adding that city-state? Delete that CS's XML file from
    Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Not Another City States Mod\ and voilà! Fixed.
  • 6 new traits
    :c5gold:commercial, :c5influence:diplomatic, :c5science:intellectual, :c5production:productive, :c5greatperson:progressive, :c5happy:progressive
  • 44 new :c5citystate:city-states.
    (See the list in the spoiler below. The ones in yellow.)
  • ‘Lesser' civs named after countries
    City-states named after countries, featuring leaders.
    For realism, the name of the city they build on the map is kept, so you don’t go conquer a city named Belgium, but still Brussels, thereby removing the Belgian civilization from the game.
    Spoiler Example image :
  • Compatibility.sql
    Checks for certain DLC (and Mod) civs and adapts the availability of certain city-states accordingly.
List of city-states (Outdated, look in the readme for the updated list)
Spoiler List of city-states :
Blue: vanilla
Yellow: added
Red: planned
Here is a map!

Version history
Version 11 (Jack of all update)
  • 3 new city-state traits: diplomatic, progressive and prosperous.
  • 12 new city-states:
    the 'Lesser' civs of Cuba(Havana), Ethiopia(Addis Ababa), Mayas(Tikal) and Switzerland(Bern)
    and the normal city-states of Aboriginals(Ayers Rock), Abu Dhabi, Andorra, Anfa, Carthage, Inuit(Iqualuit) Liechtenstein, Luebeck and Macau.
  • Latest patch compatibility:
    Removed my Quebec as the patch replaced Oslo with Quebec City.
    Renamed the Danish lesser civ to the Australian, as the patch replaced Copenhagen with Sydney.
  • Updated some 'Lesser' city-state popup tops:
    Updated the right-hand side icons to reflect the trait changes of most Lesser civs since the addition of the new traits.
    Correctly named Scotland's leader James VI. (Was wrongfully named James IV.)
    Maria Theresa replaces Franz Joseph as leader of Austria.
    Éamon de Valera replaces Daniel O'Connell as leader of Ireland.
  • New icons for commercial and intellectual city-states. Used the icons for the Great Merchant and Great Scientist respectively.
  • Compatibility.sql: added Cuba, Carthage, Ethiopia, Mayas and Switzerland.
  • Bug fix: resolved issue that on ally status you'd still receive the friends bonus as well.
Spoiler Older Versions :
Version 10 (really working update)
  • Bugfix: resolved issue that the effects of the new traits were not being applied.

Version 9 (working update)
  • Bugfix: resolved crash on unpacking the mod. Mods are so much more fun when you can install them.

Version 8 (trait update)
  • 3 new city-state traits: :c5gold:commercial, :c5science:intellectual and :c5production:productive.
  • Bugfix: City-state messages headed f.e. "King of The City-State of Norway has a Message." Removed the "The City-State of" part and also fixed the coloring of the message.
  • Combatibility.sql: Fiji removed because it was found actually not to conflict with the Polynesia DLC.

Version 7 (CS leader update)
  • 6 new city-states:
    the 'Capital' city-states of Byzantium(Constantinople), Holland(Amsterdam), Portugal(Lisbon) and Spain(Madrid)
    and the normal city-states of La Isabela and Strasbourg.
  • 'Capital' city-states now have a leader representing them in the Greeting and Diplo popups.
  • The Pygmy and Basque Nations' cities now go by the names of Ituri Forest and Bilbao respectively. However they are not 'Capital' city-states.
  • Combatibility.sql is extended:
    Amsterdam: CS removed if Holland/Dutch/Netherlands civ present
    Bilbao: Spanish city of the same name removed if Spain civ and Bilbao CS present
    Constantinople: CS removed if Byzantine/Byzantium civ present
    Lisbon: CS removed if Portugal civ present
    Madrid: CS removed if Spain civ present
    Strasbourg: French city of the same name removed if France civ and Strasbourg CS present

Version 6 (flag waving update)
  • 'Capital' city-states now have their country's flag show up in the Greeting and Diplo popups.
  • Added Combatibility.sql, which checks for the presence of the Polynesia DLC, in which case Hawaii, Fiji and Rapa Nui are not available as city-states.
  • Ragusa now refers to the Republic of Ragusa (Dubrovnik) instead of the Sicilian city. (No longer a 'Capital' city-state and Civilopedia entry edited.)
  • South Korea (Seoul) is changed to Korea (Seoul).
  • Addition of updated Readme.

Version 5 (relaunch)
  • 9 new :c5citystate:citystates:
    Dubai,
    Jericho,
    Luxembourg,
    Malta,
    Puntland,
    Quebec,
    Sri Lanka,
    Taiwan,
    Ur

Version 4 (first feature update)
  • New feature: ‘Capital’ city-states renamed after their respective countries.
  • Improvement in lay-out of the ReadMe and Mod description.
  • Added language tags for German, French, Spanish and Italian, so the names show up properly in those versions. (Did not yet actually translate though.)
  • Bug fix: Vatican City now shows up properly

Version 3 (maturation update)
  • 9 new :c5citystate:city-states:
    Bahrain,
    Eritrea,
    Fiji,
    Guernsey,
    Hawaii,
    Jerusalem,
    Kurdistan,
    Masada,
    Vatican City
  • (Hopefully) Fixed the description in the mod browser to be easier on the eyes.
  • Added a Readme file. It's awesome. Seriously, check it out.

Version 2 (public release version)

Version 1 (private version)

Plans
  • Batches of 9 or 18 new :c5citystate:city states per version. (See the spoiler above. The city-states in red.)
  • Civilopedia entries.
  • Language support in the other languages.

Wild ideas (Read: Modules will be implemented if people like it AND I am able to.)
  • Some :c5war:militaristic city states would be able to produce UUs.
  • The possibility to trade with city states, like with normal civs. (Currently way out of my league.)

Thanks
Gazebo for the 'peace dove' used for diplomatic city-states.
Thalassicus for getting me into modding because of his wonderful Balance mods.
Kael for making the awesome Modder's Guide to Civilization V, a crucial learning document.
Alpaca for making the Lua tutorial on the Civ 5 wiki.
Onni, again for a tutorial: on UI mods.
Garett20, Opera, Zappara and everyone participating in their threads, for making ace city-state mods which I looked at for code implementation and city-state inspiration.
mihaifx for the code for the flags in the city-state diplo popup. Credits go to Gedemon and Zyxpsylon as well, for their contributions in that mod's thread.
Gedemon, for the code of the Compatibility.sql major civ flagger (lent from his YnAEMP mod) and helping me on the (future) implementation of the UUs for militaristic city-states.

So fire away. Questions, suggestions, tips, bugs,...
One thing: don't ask me to include capitals with no real history of their own.
Another thing: If people want to copy parts from this mod, integrate it or take inspiration from it, that's fine, but please let me know and give credits where they are due.

Attachments

• RenamedCSesLarge.png
    RenamedCSesLarge.png
    438.7 KB · Views: 2,786
  • CityStateTrait_Part1.jpg
    CityStateTrait_Part1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3,023
  • Not Another City States Mod (v 11).civ5mod
    543.5 KB · Views: 4,724
Ok, working on the next iteration. It will probably feature:
  • 9 more city states from the list (Bahrain, Eritrea, Fiji, Guernsey, Hawaii, Jerusalem, Kurdistan, Masada, Vatican City),
  • [NEWLINE] tags in the mod description to hopefully break the wall of text,
  • a readme file and
  • if I have the time, one of the plans/wild ideas features.

Some questions in the meanwhile:
  • Should I change the city of the Basques to Bilbao? (Keeping the Basque Nation as the civ though.)
    Similarly for Gaza, renaming the civ to Palestine. It would put the focus on present day Gaza, rather than the historical one, but I guess that's the one people know most anyway.
  • Is there some place that tells about a character limit or guide for text marp-up for the mod description in the mod browser?
  • Is there a character/BB-code limit for this forum? (So I know if I can keep including wikipedia links for each civ.)
  • The 'Affects Saves' tag, is that for incompatibility with existing games, or just those having an earlier version of the same mod?

Just to point this out, a gold-giving city state might be redundant because the most popular way to influence city states is buying their influence. Sort of a "what goes around comes around" situation.
Other than that, fantastic idea! Would you mind adding a Saigon city state? (I think Maritime would probably be most appropriate)

It would be an 'investment' mechanic, investing money to eventually get more out of it again. Pretty much like you can now do with the major civs: they value 5 :c5gold:/turn lower than 150 :c5gold:.
Maybe it's a little bit forced, I don't know.

About Saigon, it will probably not be added in any of the next versions, because it doesn't really have much of an identity separate from Vietnam.
Interesting history though, so I might add them once I burn through my current list.

Thanks for the feedback.

v. 3 is up, with some much needed work to get this mod matured. Hopefully this will pique people's interest.
(This is a shameless bump, but I hope that's forgiven if it is to announce an update.)

Version 3
  • 9 new civs: Bahrain, Eritrea, Fiji, Guernsey, Hawaii, Jerusalem, Kurdistan, Masada, Vatican City
  • Fixed the description in the mod browser to be easier on the eyes. (Still some work to do.)
  • Added a Readme file. It's awesome. Seriously, check it out.

Questions remain largely the same:
  • Make Basques-Bilbao and Palestinians-Gaza? (see 3 posts up)
  • How crazy can I go on this forum with post length/BB-code lay-out?
  • Is there some list of what [ICON_...] and [COLOR_...] tags I can use for the mod description?
  • And where can I find all necessary files related to the city-state traits (cultured, maritime, militaristic). Currently I have AI\GlobalAIDefines.xml and BasicInfos\CIV5MinorCivTraits.xml, but I think I miss a file connecting the two.
    (The part that says: if cultured/maritime/militaristic, then apply those bonuses.)

And I'm always open to suggestions.

Little bug: the Vatican City CS shows up as: TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_VATICAN

Thanks. Is solved now.
I uploaded the most recent version as an attachment to the opening post. It's an updated v. 3 with the readme.html actually showing the images and the the Vatican showing up properly.
(I guess you can download it to the MODS folder and then the game will recognise it as a downloaded mod when you're in the mod browser and let you click 'install' in the 'installed mods' screen.
Otherwise, unzipping it using any unzipper you like should do the job.)

Fyi:
  • I found all (79) icons you can use in the modbrowser, plus how you can make your text any colour you like, using [COLOR:255:255:255:255][/COLOR], where the 255s are respectively the values for red, green, blue and alpha (transparency).
    I though others might find it helpful.
  • I decided to go with the Bilbao/Palestinian changes.
  • In the line of ethnic groups, what would you guys say of adding a Jewish state? Maybe a little touchy, with the Palestinians around. (The Palestinians had a serious dispute with the Jewish Nation..., things like that.)
    Another addition could be the tribes from India, collectively named the Upajati (literally 'tribes'). Implementing them like that isn't exactly canon, but I figured individual tribes are virtually unknown to the average person.

I still miss a few big and/or important European cities. Most of em aren't in any mod as far as I looked for it:

- Amsterdam, Holland
- Rotterdam, Holland
- Prague, Czech
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Barcelona, Spain
- Milan, Italy
- Zagreb, Croatia
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Lisboa, Portugal
- Sevilla, Spain
- Madrid, Spain

If you look at the map I linked in the opening post, you'll notice pretty much every capital in Europe is a city-state, except for Amsterdam, Madrid and Lisbon. If you read between the lines, it's basically proof they'll be one of the civs of the expansions packs.

Of course, that's not really a reason not to add them now. But in my opinion, if the cities don't have an identity independent from their respective countries, they don't belong in the list of city-states. I won't add cities just because they are capitals, big, or well known.

(Reading back, it sounds like I'm irritated. Don't worry, I'm not.)

This is actually why in the next version (out tomorrow?), you'll still see Brussels/Warsaw/Vienna/Bucharest/... on the map, but when you talk to them, they'll be named Belgium/Poland/Austria/Romania/... So their cities keep their name, but the nations behind them change. (Of course, does not apply to Monaco, Venice etc.)
I thought acknowledging they are actually gimped civs, rather than insisting they are city-states, would add to the immersion.
Of course, this change can be removed just as simple as the new city-states. (Either deleting the VanillaCityStatesUpdates folder or any of the files within.)

I'd release it now, but I haven't been able to play test.

Version 4 is done. See the opening post for details.
The main feature is the altered vanilla city-states.

I tried to upload it to the mod browser, but I get an error code "failed code - unknown error". I tried to solve it but don't have the faintest idea why it doesn't want to accept it. If someone could help, that would be appreciated.
Meanwhile, the mod is attached to the opening post, so you can still grab your copy there.

I tried to upload it to the mod browser, but I get an error code "failed code - unknown error". I tried to solve it but don't have the faintest idea why it doesn't want to accept it. If someone could help, that would be appreciated.

I am getting the same error message when I try to upload. I wonder if we have a similar problem? I noticed earlier in the thread you were asking about description length, mine is pretty long I wonder if that's causing it?

Edit: Sure enough I deleted about a paragraph of my description and it uploaded fine. lol you would think that would be easy to catch and not be "unknown"

Interesting actually, as when I went over the character limit (which is 1024 characters, by the way) it told me so, but after it being corrected, it still wouldn't upload.

I might have to give it another try, I guess.

ok I admit I did make a stupid troubleshooting mistake and changed 2 things at once, in addition to removing half of my description I also removed my Home Page link which was a super long link to forums.civfanatics at the same time. Perhaps it was the home page link and not the description that was causing the error.

I keep getting the message. Changed everything from author to description to the readme. Also created a new mod twice, copying the files over.

There's not much more I can do. I guess that means the mod is discontinued.
Sorry for those that liked it.

Having the same issue. Can play the mod fine but can't upload it. Has this issue been resolved?

Top Bottom