Most & least favorite RUIN bonus?

I would have to say that my favorite bonus is either getting a free technology or +90 culture. On the other end, I get crazy frustrated when I get the free map bonus. I usually reload the game at that point and see what else I get.

What's your most/least favorite RUIN bonus?

I haven't looked recently at the updates. Did they fix the tech bonus bug?

1st-culture bonus
2nd-cash bonus
3rd-population bonus
4th-free tech
5th-upgrade bonus(one only)

Edit : gold bonus second for multiplayer purpose...if you can save many turns to buy a worker you can get a nice advantage for crucial early development.

My favorite was the free settler
then tech or culture
then money
then population
then weapons
map is useless and my least favorite

1. Culture and 2. population is top.

Gold, tech or upgrade can be OK depending on the circumstances.

Map is usually unless you find another ruin.

WORST: "You discover location of 2 barbarian camps"

I like the free tech the most - especially when you get something you need that isn't on the track you are researching - those techs often have to wait a long time. population boost second. Then upgrading scout to archer (warrior to spearman, meh).

Culture is of little use, because I normally don't buy SP until renaissance or industrial, so the extra culture now doesn't do much of anything. Gold is similarly useless - it might help a bit in 30 or 40 turns when I make a rush buy or bribe my first cs, but useless now.

maps are useless (except when they show you some other nearby ruins).

location of barb camps makes me mad. Grrrr.

I've never gotten a settler. That would be nice.

My favorite is the map.

Oh wait no, the map sucks! Especially when you get it late game.

1.Tech
2.Culture
3.Upgrade
4.Pop early game, late game gold.

Culture. In the really early game, you probably can get a first or second policy a dozen turns earlier.

The map bonus is terrible though.

Ruins are a real problem for things like the game of the month and hall of fame runs; they just add a huge element of luck.

A few upgrades in a row basically ends the game. Whether you can get that depends on the map type (e.g. it's easy to get max upgrades on archipelago maps.)

If you only get a few, population, culture, and (the proper) tech are all quite powerful. Gold, map, and barb encampments are weak.

Barb encampments....... don't remind me :)

I HATE getting the map. It is invariably of an area I have already explored or 90% ocean. That said, with no crappy options it would lessen the 'YES! WOO!' excitement of the good options.

1. Tech
2. Culture
3. Pop
4. Upgrade
5. Cash
6. Map
7. Barb Loc

I've never seen a free settler, so I'm not sure you can get such a thing? If you can, that'd probably be in 3rd place, pushing pop and the others down a spot.

I've never gotten a settler. That would be nice.

My favorite is the map.

Oh wait no, the map sucks! Especially when you get it late game.

1.Tech
2.Culture
3.Upgrade
4.Pop early game, late game gold.

Getting a free settler may only be possible at lower difficulties. I played through a Settler game last night to unlock several achievements I had been missing, and I had never gotten a free settler before.

Top Bottom