Retired Moderator
Game of the Month 116: November 2010

Game Settings:
Civilization: Babylonians
Map: Normal map; 4 civ's, flat
Difficulty: Prince
Barbarians: Raging Hordes
Restarts: Off
Extra rules: This month you are allowed to build just one wonder. This means that it is allowed to conquer cities with a wonder. It's not allowed to build Marco Polo. So think carefully which wonder you can use best. If you're going for a spaceship victory you're also allowed to build Apollo Program as 2nd wonder.

Starting Techs:
~ Alphabet
~ Bronze Working
~ Code of Laws

This month is again a special game. This month you are allowed to build just one wonder. This means that it is allowed to conquer cities with a wonder. It's not allowed to build Marco Polo. So think carefully which wonder you can use best. If you're going for a spaceship victory you're also allowed to build Apollo Program as 2nd wonder. Good luck and have fun.

Games will be due on January 2 th, 2010.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file).

Please sent the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Starting save is here

Last edited:
So I guess if I want to try for a spaceship win, I will either have to build no wonders until Apollo, or wait for one of the AIs to build it and then beat them in a space race.

Is there any restriction on how many wonders we can control (by conquering the AI city after it builds a wonder)?

Interesting set up. Thanks Magic. If we are unable to conquer a city that holds a wonder, conquest becomes extremely difficult as all wonder cities have to be razed. As haleewud pointed out, for space ship win we either have to make no other wonders or wait for the AI to build the Apollo. This setup also makes a SSC impossible.

Assuming conquering wonders is OK then the logical strategy is conquest. Without a science city and with only 4 civs in the game space ship strategy has serious disadvantages. Also lack of wonder making is a far more serious draw back for space ship strategy than it is for conquest. The only major draw back to conquest is not being able to quickly locate rivals using Marco.

Good points.....I forgot you need Apollo. I will change that in the rules. It's allowed to build Apollo Program because it's needed for space victory. So in this case you're allowed to build two wonders.

The extra rules mentions that you are not allowed to build more then 1 wonder. This means that it is allowed to conquer cities with a wonder. I will add this sentence to the extra rules so that this is clear for everybody.

Interesting scenario.Since I have Civ 2 installed @ work guess who will be "working" overtime the upcomming week :)

Game on.

Magic, thanks for the clarification and rules change.

By the way, this is a pretty dismal looking starting location. Not even a single grassland square. If anyone decides to build at the starting location, growth is going to be pretty slow. Is this a normal random map?

Given that conquering wonders is allowed, this is going to be mostly, if not totally, a war game for me. I am still undecided on the choice of wonder. Given that the game is at prince level, happiness wonders are not that important. My current front runners are Pyramids, Colossus, Lighthouse (depending on the geography), Copernicus, and Leo.

As haleewud pointed out the starting location offers slow growth but it could be partially compensated by making a size 1 settler.

I am still undecided on the choice of wonder. Given that the game is at prince level, happiness wonders are not that important. My current front runners are Pyramids, Colossus, Lighthouse (depending on the geography), Copernicus, and Leo.

I pretty much agree. I'm leaning towards LH (if playing for Green) or Pyr (if playing for Gold, and if LH not needed). I also agree that the rules favor conquest, which makes Cope's or Col unlikely. It is fairly common that an AI builds Pyrs or LH very early, and one can "steal it", but I probably won't plan on that.

Magic, thanks for the clarification and rules change.

By the way, this is a pretty dismal looking starting location. Not even a single grassland square. If anyone decides to build at the starting location, growth is going to be pretty slow. Is this a normal random map?

It's a random created map.....

I don`t want to spoil anything guys but the map so far is great.Deffo worth playing.Hell I`d consider trying it out(if I can) on King+ with full wanders.

Also as far as my game goes I think Im going to go for women sufferage+ Republic heavy conquesting.It will make it more challenging but I doubt I can pull amazing score either way.Hey I may win the most interesting iteration prize haha :)

Btw guys since I am new to the Gotm I forgot the 1 AD save.I have a 40 AD one.Is this ok or did I screw things up ?

Top Bottom