[Tutorial] Merging New Unit Graphics Into 1 Modd.

LoneGamer

Warlord
So you have enabled 2 unit graphics and they look like spearmen! WHaaaaat?!

Well this will tell you how to get around that.

(This problem has to do with civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and civ5artdefines_units.xml)

Step 1

First off you will need to open up the folders of each mod and modbuddy.(I will be using the housecarl and marine as an example here.)
Spoiler :

Create a new Mod, I called mine mergedunits.

Step 2

Now Drag the art folder and xml folder of housecarl into Mod buddy.

Then open the art folder of the marine unit, select all the contents but the Animations folder, and put that in the art folder in ModBuddy. Then open up the animations folder of the marine, select everything and drag that into the animations folder in ModBuddy. Do the same with the xml. You should get something that looks like this.
Spoiler :

Step 3

Notice we havent added the civ5artdefines_units.xml or civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml yet, so go ahead and add that from housecarl into the main project folder.

Now click the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and scroll all the way down.

Spoiler :

The selected area is what has been added, now we need to add the marine to this. So open up the marines civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml in notepad or something similar. Scroll all the way down and copy the marines unitmemberartinfo.

Spoiler :

Now paste it into the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml in modbuddy, you should get this.

Spoiler :

Now we need to do the same with civ5artdefines_units.xml. So again open up the marines civ5artdefines_units.xml in notepad, scroll all the way down and copy the unitartinfo of the marine.

Spoiler :

Paste it in the civ5artdefines_units.xml in modbuddy and you should get something like this

Spoiler :

Step 4

Now you need to add the marine and housecarl to the Actions in properties.
Right click your project name(for me its MergedUnits) and go to properties.
Spoiler :

First thing you want to do is check Reload Unit System in Mod Info

Now go to the Actions Tab, and add 4 items.
Set Type FileName
1-OnModActivated UpdateDatabase XML/housecarl_c.xml
2-OnModActivated UpdateDatabase XML/housecarl_cLanguage.xml
3-OnModActivated UpdateDatabase XML/marine.xml
4-OnModActivated UpdateDatabase XML/marineLanguage.xml

Looks like this:
Spoiler :

Now save, build your project and lets see what happens in game.
Make sure to disable the mods you just combined and enable the one you just created.

Now lets see how this plays out in game.
Spoiler :

OH LOOK, No spearmen! Now you can have new graphic units side by side. If you want to combine more then just follow these steps with another unit.

Ohh no! Moore Spearmen!

I followed a hundred times all these steps and what I have are more and more Spearmen. My doubt is: in Civ4 we used to refer to the art files pointing their address like "<NIF>Art/Units/Russian T90/T90.nif<NIF>". In Civ5 this seems to be not necessary. People just write "<Granny>T90.fxsxml</Granny>" and the system apparently knows exactly where look for the file. But in my case, this insn't happening. The system is not finding the art files. I can imagine 2 possible mistakes:

1) I may be placing the "civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml" and the "civ5artdefines_units.xml" on the wrong place (they are currently in the main project folder), and so the system is not finding them, or

2) Maybe the ".fxsxml" have been placed on the wrong folder. Actually, I've tried everywhere without success. At the moment they are located on the Art/Units folder.

I tried also add the "civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml" and the "civ5artdefines_units.xml" to the "Actions Tab" on the Modbuddy, but I am not sure this is really necessary. Is it?

So please, if anyone could provide me this very basic help, I would really appreciate.

i have a problem as well. i am trying to combine the WW2 units pack mod with houscarl. but there are no art or animations for the infantry. there are only blender files. so how can i do it with this. thankyou in advance.

I am facing the same issue than Duque d'Caxias, are recent MOD using the wonderful units created by Nutty, Bernie and Danrell ?

If I check a MOD correctly managing the units, I will probably find what's going wrong.

Thanks for your help.
Kwadjh

I am facing the same issue than Duque d'Caxias, are recent MOD using the wonderful units created by Nutty, Bernie and Danrell ?

If I check a MOD correctly managing the units, I will probably find what's going wrong.

Thanks for your help.
Kwadjh

Hulfgar's Modpack, Another WW2 scenario by rhettrongun, R.E.D. Modpack and R.E.D. WWII Edition.

Thanks Gedemon.

I notice that you have not implemented the Housecarl graphics, is there a reason why ? This is the unit I try to implement right know and I go back in windows each time I try loading the MOD after adding the files...

I start beginning to thinks it's maybe coming from the unit itself.

Hello again,

I confirm it seems, the bug is coming from the housecarl files, it's working well with others units like the german knights done by Bernie.

What is not explain in the first post is that the files (civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and civ5artdefines_units.xml and all art / animations files) have to be "import" so that a MOD know that they are here and will upload the "new" civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml files.

The mod must also "Reload Unit System" in Mod Info.

To clarify, all the .fxsxml, .dds, .gr2 have VFS set True.

When specifying the "Granny" tag, use the path in modbuddy NOT the relative path on disk. When Modbuddy "builds" the mod it copies the files as set in the "solution explorer" window from where ever they were you dragged them into said window.

as Primordial Stew wrote all graphic files need to have their VFS option set to "true".

To do so right clic on them in modbuddy and select "true" for the VFS option.

But this applies for the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and civ5artdefines_units.xml as well !

If you just load those files via the action tab in modbuddy whithout setting their VFS to true you will get spearmen.

Kwadjh I don't see a reason why the housecarl would not work, I use them in my mod and it works well.

Is there a better way to merge mods via SQL?

Since the patch 674 units graphics can be modded via SQL, you still need the graphic files VFS set to true but you need to use the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and civ5artdefines_units.xml which is better for compatibility.

See Gedemon's RED Modpack for example :)

Since the patch 674 units graphics can be modded via SQL, you still need the graphic files VFS set to true but you do not need to use the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and civ5artdefines_units.xml which is better for compatibility.

See Gedemon's RED Modpack for example :)

just to clarify ;)

(in fact you can't use them at all in a mod)

Top Bottom