ending turn with city list displayed causes ctd

Ciproflox

Chieftain
Hi

I didnt find anything like this in the bug list, so:

Game crashes, when a round is ended and the city list is open in the top left corner.
Reproducable: yes, it happened to me three times and I even tried reproducing it, it "worked"
Version: 1.0.0.621
Turn 1150
Map: Large

Well, I added a savegame, would be nice to find out if it s only "me". Usually I have research progress on top, I rarely need the city list.
Btw, it seems this bug is not altered by whatever actions I take during a round.

Attachments

• AutoSave_1150 AD-1988-.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 271
Please post a save file that illustrates this problem. Thanks!

Thanks for posting the save file. I played the game until turn 1158 with no crashes. If you would like to troubleshoot this further, please post your DxDiag file (see my sig). Many other players have reported similar crashes in the late game on large maps. We also know that 2K Games/Firaxis is aware of the problem and is working on it.

I tried that save & got the exact same behaviour as OP. It crashes immediately if I leave the City List on. If I don't, I am able to continue at least two more turns. Then I opened the city list, and it again crashes as soon as I hit Next Turn. Curious. Petek, did you try it specifically with the city list open?

That said, I am one of the folks who regularly has crashes with reloads of larger games.

...now it's really important that we get all 3 system specifications together.
Something has to be different between Perkus/Ciproflox and Petek, and something has to be the same in Perkus + Ciproflox systems.
Good chance to find the "trigger" of the errors.

That save crashes for me as well with the city info thing up. Crash Dump (I run the DX9 version at current patch level) and DxDiag attached.

Attachments

• civilizationv_203896_crash_2010_11_19T23_54_47C0.zip
    19.7 KB · Views: 261
  • DxDiag.zip
    7 KB · Views: 271
Hold everything! Perkus was right. I completely overlooked having the City Screen open when ending the turn. When I did so, the game crashed when the turn ended. The City Screen appears to have other issues unrelated to this crash. If you sort on Population, or anything else, the sort is lost when just about any other action occurs. This happens in other games I tested, so it's apparently not related to this crash.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

There's an awful lot of cities in that game. He might be hitting that limit of (what is it ? around 70 ?) that others have reported.

My head's starting to hurt. I thought that the "70 city limit" bug was fixed in 1.0.0.62, although it's not in the change log. The save file in this thread has way more than 70 cities, but I played several turns without a crash. I went back to that file. This time it crashed as soon as I entered City View and clicked on one of the cities.

How comforting. It seems to me, Civ is just dying over those calculations related to the city list an the number of cities (my Cities, puppet-cities, states (liberated, friendly and so on) but that might be just an intuition. It should be easy to find out, if the problem occurs on smaller maps at early and late game stages as well. Might just try that later on.

Aha! Nice to know I'm not the only one going through this bug. I've emailed take2support about this and they've been emailing back suggestions including those mentioned above and it's got no where. They also failed to mention that 2K Games/Firaxis were already aware of this issue.

My System:

Asus P5N32-E SLI Socket 775 Nforce 680i SLI FSB1333 Audio Firewire ATX Motherboard
Kingston 4GB Kit (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ecc CL5 Unbuffered 1.8V
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Processor
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 OEM PCI Soundcard
Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F1, SATA II, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, NCQ, NoiseGuard, SilentSeek
DVD LiteOn DH-16D2P-02C
LG GSA-4167BAL 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE
GeForce GTS250 1GB
Logitech Mx 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse
Nostromo n52 te Controller
Hi-Power Black 900W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU

I have bought and played every civ game from Civ2. Iconsidered Civ2 &4 the best. I consider Civ 5 to be badly flawed. The concept is goodbut the interface is very very bad.
1) It takes 3 minutes to load
2) It cannot be minimized
3) It is not stable in that the screen blanks out at random occasions.
Are there any patches to fix these problems?

Top Bottom