CCCM (That is, China in CCM)

Elephantium

Malcolm was a very good cat.
I've enjoyed playing CCM in the Rat41 succession game, so I decided to start a solo game. On a whim, I chose China.

================================

Our tribe started out next to the mountain:

We settled Beijing on the northwest side of the mountain, on the banks of the Sweet River.

From there, our scouts could see the second wheat, so we sent our second settler west. Soon, Shanghai was built near the mouth of the river (north of the horses that we later discovered).

Sending explorers east, we discovered the Snake River, the Desert of Life and Death, and the Great Forest. Near the edge of the Great Forest, we met the Greeks.

Going south, we discovered a range of mountains that we simply called "The Great Wall". It might inspire a building project someday... :mischief:

Unbeknownst to us, the Mongolians lived on the other side of the Great Wall. There were many long years of blissful ignorance before we finally met them.

Heading southwest, we found an isthmus and resolved to build a fort there someday. Beyond, we found deep forests and wild-looking lands. Once we met the Egyptians, we KNEW they were wild lands! :lol:

Our scouts kept pushing, though, and as they left Egypt behind, they came to a very chilly sight indeed. We've been calling it Patagonia :p

Back amongs the Greeks, we pushed further northwest and found the Monkey Jungle:

To our great surprise, the Spaniards greeted us there! Fortunately, they were hospitable, and they pointed us towards the most notable feature on their end of the continent: Bog Lake.

As the game progressed, we added several cities before getting crowded in: One by the Great Wall mountain range, a couple near the Desert of Life and Death, and one on the coast near the Great Forest. From there, we needed to resort to stronger measures to make space for our settlers. We had built the Great Library, so we had no research-related distractions to interfere with our war preparations.

The Mongols had built a city near the convenient isthmus to our south, so we sent a squadron of Horsemen to pacify it. There was little resistance, and once the area was secure, our Workers put forth a heroic effort to build a road across the Great Wall, right up next to Karakorum. Once the road was complete and our reinforcements arrived, Karakorum fell. Fortunately for them, the Mongols were willing to give up their other cities in the area in the peace talks :trouble:

(sorry for the late date on these pics; I only decided to make a thread today, after playing ~120 turns into the game!)

I didn't record them at the beginning of the game, I think they would have been:

Monarch, standard-sized map, sedentary barbs, other settings random.

Monarch is obvious ;), and I got the other settings by looking at what came up for starting a new CCM game.

Strangely, CAII only gave me Monarch. I expected it to have *all* of these details.

How come no units and cities can be seen? done on purpose? anyway, good luck

Ni hao. :) That is interesting, another story about CCM. Elephantium, I wish you good luck in your game. :) And may be we are lucky that you didn´t choose Russia, otherwise the title of your game could be CCCPCCM. :lol:

Yes, another read. This forum has slowed a bit...

Yes, another read. This forum has slowed a bit...
lurker's comment: Yep. I find it irritating that there aren't more stories that progress well into the Industrial Age and become epic through wars and such.

lurker's comment: whoa... I just discovered this thread. Count me in for the cheap seats. I find the empty pics really, really creepy though.:twitch:

:D

lurker's comment: whoa... I just discovered this thread. Count me in for the cheap seats. I find the empty pics really, really creepy though.:twitch:

:D

:salute: More empty terrain pics, gotcha. I think I can accommodate that in future posts :mischief:

=========================================================

Somewhere along the way, the rivals Britain and Portugal had both made contact with us. In a curious twist of fate, their capital cities were practically next-door neighbors! :lol:

By this time, the lands around our capital were well-developed and productive. The nation had progressed from primitive Despotism to an enlightened rule under the Theocracy of the Elephantine God-King. The pious worshipers of China were blessed with plentiful harvests, guaranteeing rich tithes to their pachydermic overlord. The only problems we were having came through the Great Forest. Mad doomsday preachers kept accosting our people, trying to lure them into vile cults and fraternities. This, of course, just wouldn't do; we need the worshipers working, praying, and guarding our borders, not chanting arcane phrases like "KAPPA SIGMA PSI" or "DELTA GAMMA EPSILON" :crazyeye:

We tried to reason with the Greeks, telling them to keep their crazies in line, but they ignored us, claiming that they had no knowledge of these strange goings-on. Silly Greeks, they should know better than to lie to the God-King.

Tensions soon gave rise to open warfare, and we quickly stripped the Greeks of their cities on the desert's edge, in the midst of the Great Forest, and even their capital city! Soon, we were moving on Corinth, their new capital:

Even that didn't hold out for long:

With that, the pious worshipers of the great Chinese God-King could rest easy, for the threat from the strange Greeks had passed. The people gave thanks, for they had secured a lasting peace ... or had they?

I see you chose theocracy. Are you planning to stay in the government or change later on. I would like to see a change to democracy or republic for a change. :D

I'll definitely change governments later. If nothing else, the tile penalty will be too much to suffer once rails come in.

I'll probably switch around the time my Monasteries go obsolete - that seems like a good breakpoint.

Sadly, NO! The blasphemous Greeks had created a new city, Pharsalos, north of the den of iniquity called Corinth. From there, they sent forth bandit archers to harass the Faithful:

Holy Riders of the God-King rode down the evil bandits (to much rejoicing by the Faithful), but the threat remained.

In the meantime, a new threat emerged. Further south, on the border with Egypt, tensions were rising. Slavers and heretical prophets regularly tried to cross the border, and some of our Holy Warriors were injured while carrying out their sacred duties.

Clearly, there was only one course of action:

Spurred by the outbreak of hostilities with the eccentric Egyptians, the Faithful established a new order:

Thus far, there has been little progress in the war. Holy Riders and border guards clashed with Egyptian Chariots and Horsemen, but no one has taken any land.

... yet.

General Chang of the southern army is putting together a major offensive across the isthmus, heading south to Memphis and west to the city peeking out of the fog.

General Chang's daring plan paid off! The Holy Riders moved south through a small forest, brushing aside light resistance. In short order, both Memphis and Heliopolis fell:

In desperation, the Egyptians corrupted the British and seduced them into an alliance against the Holy Order. At the same time, emboldened by this vile alliance, rebels in Heliopolis assassinated General Chang and his retinue! His reward was assured, and every soldier prayed for revenge. Especially...

The new General, Jin Qui, swore an oath of honor that Saint Chang's sacrifice would not be in vain. He pressed on!

Jin Qui succeeded in his quest and brought glory on his family and on the Faithful. Still, the fight was not yet over.

--------------------------

With the capture of the Dome of the Rock and the accompanying Muslim Communities, it opens up the Golden Mosque small wonder. Sadly, that's obsoleted by University, which is at most 4 techs away. It's tempting to turn off research a while and accumulate some Mullahs to supplement the priests (who, even though I tried to conserve them and use them on redlined units, died off rather quickly). OTOH, I do want to keep up a good tech pace. It's a tough call.

(P.S. :dance: for my 2000th post!)

Elephantium, congratulations to your 2.000th post and for the nice story. :)

Getting the Hanseatic League was good for morale, but even better was the capture of two more cities from our hated rivals. We continued moving against the Egyptians, and in the battle for Byblos, we witnessed the rise of another Great Leader! Shortly thereafter, Byblos had fallen, and we were on the way to Byzantion (I declared war on Greece again to make it easier to get to Dahshur).

I wanted to rush the Golden Mosque using the leader, but it was only a couple of turns out in Beijing. Memphis got a Bank, instead.

Another Great Leader proved himself in the Battle of Dahshur. I haven't actually used him yet since...

With the struggle against the Egyptians over, the people could turn their attention to other projects (Windmills and Town Clocks and happy buildings).

Top Bottom