NC LXIV: Louix XIV of France

dalamb

Deity
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Louis XIV of the French, whom we last played in NC 32. The French start with Agriculture and The Wheel (which happen to be prerequisites for Pottery, should you decide you want an early Granary or Cottage).

• Traits: Louis is CREative and INDustrious. CRE gives +2:culture: in each city -- which means your cities expand without needing an early cultural building like a monument. You get some cheaper cultural buildings, like Library and Theatre, which might make a cultural victory attractive (especially given the UB); if you go cultural, consider jesusin's strategy guide. IND gives 50% faster wonder-building and forges, making it a lot easier to get whatever wonders you want (perhaps especially those that enhance culture by generating Great Artists).
  • The UB: The Salon, an Observatory that gives +25%:culture: and a free Great Artist, which can help with a cultural victory.

• The UU: The Musketeer, a Musketman with 2 moves, turning a unit generally regarded as weak into something that might be interesting in some circumstances.
And the start:

Spoiler map details :
6 custom continents, low sea levels, giving each civilization a fairly large not-particularly-contested territory. "Not particularly" means that with these settings it's possible for the AI to intersperse islands and even merge continents so that civilizations aren't necessarily isolated pre-Astronomy.
Spoiler edits :
Made sure we weren't isolated by swapping with an AI. Moved us to a place that had an agricultural resource in the BFC. Changed a few deserts to plains, but not all. Checked that AIs had some sort of strategic resource.
Spoiler who :
Tokugawa, who usually self-isolates anyway.
Expanded one island to be more useful (an r_rolo1 trick from an old LHC).
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strategies don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC 64 Louis XIV Noble" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting, or Deity to add Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Note for those who hate goody huts: open the WB save file with a text editor and delete all lines that say
ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_GOODY_HUT

Attachments

• NC 64 Louis XIV.zip
    84 KB · Views: 303
I'm planning on a peaceful cultural victory; I've added a link in the first message to jesusin's strategy guide. I figured if I don't start playing right away I'll never get around to it. I've got a dotmap for comment but expect to go ahead and plant one more city before I consider comments on which of the others to plant next.
Spoiler :
I teched mining > fishing > pottery > BW, building worker > workboat > granary and after BW chopped a 2nd worker; I usually try to chop a worker first because historically building too few workers has been a problem for me. Then mysticism > meditation > priesthood for the oracle, and I've just finished writing. Somewhere in there I chopped a settler and put him 1N of the stone, and my just-chopped 2nd settler is going adjacent to the marble -- but I'm not sure exactly where.

There is room for the 9 cities that seem optimal for all the temples needed to build 3 cathedrals for a cultural victory. My current settler will go on white, 1SW of the marble and taking in the pigs and copper (and avoiding mountains in the BFC). Red on the NW coast is a last resort, and light blue to the NE isn't much better, but they can build temples and so would be worth it eventually. Beyond those first-and-last choices, I'm not sure. Perhaps yellow next for the horses as barbarian protection (against the eventual barb axes).

I've turned off research to build a library (to get the multiplier). I'm waffling about whether to build the Oracle; with IND I can probably get it, but jesusin warns against polluting the GPP pool with anything but Great Artist (possibly one Great Scientist for an academy).

@dalamb
Spoiler :

no plans for gems? I would probably settle directly on rice.

what wonders you plan to take?
why build barracks in city 2? you don't have something better to do? You have stone there

I would place the horse city 1NE probably to have it inland or coastal depending if you GLH.

That said. I would not go oracle. Colossus without financial isn't that strong. I am thinking about GLH, am not sure with mids and GL.

that clam+sheep city where you have WB will be important for me. It will give you 2 base commerce for some of our cities.

Hapiness will be issue on this map. you should plan what to do with it.

edit:
that teal city kills 1 fish, hmm as it seems one of those 2 fishes will be killed anyway. I am not sure I should play the map now that I know I have to move cap.

Emperor Normal to 1160BC (since it made sense to stop there)

@dalamb just one general remark... you really should avoid putting huts on, it really skews things a lot.

Spoiler :

because... out of 3 huts I got 2 techs and 1 hostile villagers.
I got Masonry and Metal Casting as techs. Can you imagine such luck? Exactly those 2 techs I really like and need.

To the actual gameplay. I went with fishing, worker, after fishing switch to WB on PH, then finish worker.
mining->bw->sailing (then I got that lucky masonry pop, I would go masonry else). then pottery->writing.

I don't see me building cottages, probably at all.

Finished GLH

Spoiler :

tried for GW in city 2, but didn't got it, got 86 gold though so i burned it on the techs :)

I got a bit nervous with quick GW so I beelined in cap after GLH the Mids which I got at 1160BC.

City 2 will build some workers/settlers, i plan to populate my part of map quickly and probably will send some land party in the land I know from you dalamb ;-)

The capitol will work on forge->Colossus, I have copper so I hope it will be quick.

Civics I switch after Mids with rep+slavery in 1T to not waste turns.

Spoiler :

Should be fun map after this... with so many wonders

Emperor/Normal No events- To 25AD.
Spoiler :
I decided to move my warrior 1SW and SIP. After scouting to my north east i saw that we have stone, Ind+Stone+Marble Means some serious wonderspamming. I Decided on the GW and Mids and stonehenge; if i could get it. I teched AH-Fishing-BW- Popped masnory from a hut-pottery-alphabet- (to build research so i could continue REXing) Asethetics- Literature and i am now teching currencey (1 turn from finishing it.) My builds were Worker-Warrior- WB-Warrior-Settler-Warrior-GW, Mids, Work boat (for exploration) Granery- Library- Pantheon.
I met justianian through a workboat, i think he's buddist. He only knows me so he wont trade anything eccept monthiesm. I got the all three wonders: GW, Mids and Henge. So i guess thats good enough.
I was thinking about going for the orcale but that was built before i could get to the marble site. I'm planning to make Paris a good GP farm.
So at 25AD i have 5-6 cities,(I got the Marble and gems site's settled) enough workers and 85 BPT. From here i think i'll tech towards COL-CS-and out to optics then out to liberalism. I am also building the Great library in Paris and have two workers ready to sink some chops into it. I need to build at least three more cities. The AI can have that crappy land to my north if they're stupid enough to settle it, an i don't really care about the islands around us.
Oh and i almost forgot.... I got two GP, one spy and one scientist. I settled the spy and used the academy for the scientist. Seemed like the most logical thing to do. If i get another spy i'll use him to to steal techs of justianian. I'm not sure yet what victory i'm going for, mabey domination. Its too early to tell anyway.....

And here's the save......

Attachments

• NC 64 Louis XIV Stephen AD-0025.CivBeyondSwordSave
    156.7 KB · Views: 73
I played this one to around 1000AD on Emperor normal.
Spoiler :
Adopted a wonder spamming strategy and even though I did it in a haphazard way, making some really huge blunders (built Moai in cap before I realised I misclicked on it :cringe:)
The only 2 non shrine wonders I have missed are the GLH and Colossus, I even built Chicken Pizza and Hagia Sophia for the lulz :lol:

This pic says it all really
Spoiler :

Emperor/Normal to 1200BC (Turn 70):

Spoiler :
The Ind/Cre combo offers some nice potential for expansion, both in terms of wonders (and a cultural victory thanks to the UB) and grabbing land.

Exploration was a bit slowed by the first hut, which spawned barbs that took out my warrior. The second warrior explorer also met an untimely end, but those early explorations revealed that I had stone close and seemed to have a lot of land to grab. What to do? Great Wall!
Spoiler :

Good chance I'll get a GS as a result, which is OK. I'll settle the first one, and plan on using espionage more this game.

First contact was Justinian, by sea:
Spoiler :

The lack of near land neighbors rules out a rush, but at least I'm not isolated. I'll explore down the islands towards him ASAP, to see what else is out that way. I need trade partners.

Since I've got an IND leader, a coastal start, and no need for a rush I went for TGL. It'll be built next turn, giving me something besides spy GPP. I'll probably go for the Mids in this one too. I'm teching math now to make chops more efficient, to help get the mids.

At the moment, I'll pop a settler out of my second city soon, which will go to the SW coastal spot I have a warrior guarding. I'll pop out a couple of Axes next, to grab territory from barbs.

After TGL is done, I'll probably do a settler there before going for the mids, but I reserve the right to change that.

After Math, it'll be time to go for Poly/Aes/Lib for the GL. I should be able to get the Marble location before that point.

Current empire and techs:
Spoiler :

@dalamb
Spoiler :

I've only done one cultural game, so no comments on that. However, I'd move the yellow city 1NE so it isn't 1 off the coast and still gets the Horses. The overlap on Cows isn't really a problem, and is better than getting a couple of useless coastal tiles.

No early warring on this one, and the lack of happiness resources is going to necessitate either expansion across the seas or lots of trading.

Deity - NSC
Spoiler :

AI's are teching so horribly bad on this map, total idiots when it comes to civics in these set-ups. I'm not really complaining, but it sure makes the game a lot easier...

Not even 1500 AD yet and I'm already finishing off Mass Media in a few turns. I've grabbed most the wonders, but started to split them up among three of my key cities since the beggining. Even mids didn't go into my capital.

Anyhow, at this point it's just a boring builder game until I launch so time to quit while I'm ahead..

View attachment turn251.CivBeyondSwordSave

Went for the culture victory,dead easy to get on this map.I switched the tech slider to culture after researching engineering for Notradam but kept on teching to gunpowder/astromony through pyramid power and size 21 citys.

I dont think much to the UB,seems to come too late to be of much use,and it also obseletes monuments.I built 3 salons anyway as i was only 20 turns or so off victory but I think they probably lost me a turn not gained me one.

This one is so much easier than previous game. Totally different game if played on the level.

monarch/epic, thru 1630AD:

Spoiler :

OK, Idefinitely should have played this one at emperor. :sad: Way too easy with marble and stone on the continent. I've built every wonder in the game (except for the religious shrines) so far. Infiltrated the GSpy from the GW into Fred and stole a bunch of techs (construction, engineering, feudalism, theology). Tech was my standard beeline for nat> lib> take MilTrad as the free tech, then tech to rifling with a detour to econ to grab the free GM. Upgrade cuirassiers to cavalry, kill. I wiped out Fred first, then vassaled Justinian, Sulieman, and Toku. Only Boudi and Shaka are left (Boudi doesn't even have compass yet :lol: ).

Yep, this is definitely one of the easier games. I'm playing IMM and doing VERY well.

Top Bottom