TSG5 - Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG5 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Once you've completed the game, head over to the TSG5 After Action Report thread.

I decided that I would build three or four cities, as I need some production to get units. At this level I was expecting the AI to be aggressive! Also a wonder producing city (the capital) does not hurt.
China proved me right indeed, and declared war on me, as well as England. The latter is too far to be of any concern, and I puppeted the cities of the former.

One of the puppeted cities dropped to 1 pop during the process (or was it already so low?)
But, it does NOT grow! The city keeps building stuffs, even a bank, although it is always at one pop, and the green growing indicator says "-", ie it will never grow. Do you have this problem? This city, who insists on working the mine instead of the farm, starts to cost me some..

Spoiler :

Ahah I'm first to discover El Dorado :) I used the cash to buy a settler, and made my new home close to the wonder, this way I had have 5 cultures quite early.

Merry XMAS :)

I keep getting an error at turn 430. Game just closes. Way to go Civ V. Since I wasn't doing to well im going to back and start over since this error is not going away.

It is now about 1400 AD. I have build two cities, the second one northwest of the capital, with access to marble (I can now see the 'secret' 25% marble bonus being applied). I captured Almary and the Chinese empire (two cities). I was doing well, but I think I did a bit too well. At this moment all other civs are at war with me. I suspect Catherine of having set them up against me. The war itself doesn't bother me. I've got riflemen and two pieces of artillery to deal with any invasions. But what really got me is that before all of them declared war (that took two turns) I had managed to have a research agreement with all of them! Six free techs lost! :aargh: Now I really will do some serious sacrificing, to make up for that :mwaha:

At 0 AD I have managed to build Stonehenge, the Great Library and The Oracle and am currently working on Porcelain Tower. I have a pretty good number of social policies...3 Tradition, 2 Patronage and all of Piety except the last one which I am saving for the final pick.

Jaguar is terrible...although I was surprised to see the culture gain from combat is actually pretty decent. Those +3s add up.

This hyper focus on wonders and culture led me to a military and economic crisis and I was forced to settle east for Iron as AIs were getting hostile and mocking my weakness. Managed to upgrade Jaguars to Swordsmen just as Wu declared war, got an archer, a catapult and a pikeman, and have fought off the attack and followed it up by puppeting her northern city. Darius hates me and has some units fooling around in the tundra taunting me...but hasn't pulled the trigger yet.

Now the decision is do I puppet Beijing? Or leave well alone and continue to hunker down focusing on culture.

I think I will do the latter, and at least try and frighten Wu into some decent concessions.

I played a bit for fun but the warfare with 1upt is just not for me. I wonder why El Dorado is chosen as part of a GOTM. It's plain luck whether you discover that wonder first for 500gold. Such a massive boost gained by plain luck has no part in a strategy game. The ruins are imbalance enough I'd say.

Settled 1NW, just to save the forest for later chopping. Bit of a slow start, only 3 cities and no Puppet States at 0 AD. Saved up initial SP choices until I had built The Oracle. By then, the Piety Branch was available, so took it as the free SP from Oracle, then took Organized Religion, Mandate of Heaven & Reformation and got the free Golden Age. At 0 AD, I have completed the Piety Branch, and taken the first two in Liberty.

My TSG5 Notes

Spoiler :
T0/4000 BC: Settled 1NW, between Lake & Oasis, just to save the Forest
Initial build = Monument; Initial Research = Pottery

T2/3920 BC: Jag discovers Archery from Ancient ruins
T7/3720 BC: Jag gets map from ancient ruins
T9/3640 BC: discover Pottery, start Writing; contact w/Napoleon of France
T10/3600 BC: Jag discovers Mt. Fuji Natural Wonder
T11/3560 BC: Jag meets CS Capetown, it is next to Mt. Fuji!
T13/3480 BC: Monument finished, building Jaguar
T17/3320 BC: May adopt Policy, saving for now; Jag meets China
IBT T18/19: China insults might Aztec Empire, ignored for now
T19/3240 BC: discovered Writing, start Mining
T21/3160 BC: completed Jaguar, building Worker
T25/3000 BC: discover Mining, start Animal Husbandry
T30/2800 BC: discover Animal Husbandry, start Philosphy
T33/2680 BC: Worker complete, building Library
T43/2280 BC: Library complete, building Jaguar
T44/2240 BC: meet CS Stockholm to NW of Capitol
IBT T44/45: accept OB Treaty offer from France
T45/2200 BC: discover Philosophy, start Trapping
T47/2120 BC: complete Jaguar, building The Oracle
T50/2000 BC: discover Trapping, start The Wheel
IBT T50/51: meet Persia
IBT T51/51: accept OB Treaty offer from Persia; meet Japan & Russia
IBT T52/53: accept OB Treaty offer from Russia
T523/1880 BC: Research Treaty with Russia for 200 gold
T55/1800 BC: discover The Wheel, start Horseback Riding
T62/1520 BC: complete Oracle, building Floating Gardens; adopt Piety as free SP
take Organized Religion, Mandate of Heaven & Reformation SPs; start 10-turn Golden Age from Reformation
T64/1440 BC: discover Horseback Riding, start Calendar
T69/1240 BC: complete Floating Gardens, building National College
T71/1160 BC: discover Claendar, start Bronze Working
T72/1120 BC: Golden Age Ends
T75/1000 BC: renew OB Treaty with France; sign Research agreement w/France
IBT T75/76: contact with Germany
T76/975 BC: discover Bronze Working, start Iron Working
T78/925 BC: complete National College, building Barracks
IBT T78/79: contact with England
T79/900 BC: adopt Free Religion SP; take Theocracy & Liberty SPs as free SPs from Free Religion; Piety Branch complete
T80/875 BC: citizens start Golden Age!
T82/825 BC: finished Barracks, building Archer; discover Iron Working, start Masonry
IBT T83/84: Catherine renew OB Treaty; discover Civil Service from Research Agreement w/Catherine
T84/775 BC: discover Masonry, start Sailing
T86/725 BC: finished Archer, start Archer; discover Sailing, start Optics
T88/675 BC: discover Optics, start Mathematics
T89/650 BC: Archer finished, start Settler
T90/625 BC: Golden Age ends
T91/600 BC: discover Mathematics, start Construction
T92/575 BC: finished Settler, start Walls
T95/500 BC: discovered Construction, start Currency
T96/475 BC: City#2/Teotihuacan founded, building Monument
T98/425 BC: Capitol finished Walls, start Archer
T100/375 BC: buy Iron tile near Teo for 50 Gold
IBT T102/103: Darius asks for OB Treaty, accepted
T103/300 BC: discovered Currency, start Engineering; Capitol finished Archer, starts Settler
IBT T103/104: England asks for Declaration of Freindship, accepted
IBT T105/106: discover Chivalry via RA with France
T106/225 BC: Capitol finished Settler, start Stable
T108/175 BC: adopt Collective Rule SP; City #3/Tlatelolco founded, building Monument
T111/100 BC: discovered Engineering, start Theology
T112/75 BC: Capitol finished Stable, start Worker
IBT T113/114: France asks for DOW against Russia, refused
T115/0 AD: Game saved

Spoiler :

Ahah I'm first to discover El Dorado :) I used the cash to buy a settler, and made my new home close to the wonder, this way I had have 5 cultures quite early.

Does the El Dorado tile show the 5 cultures? When I put my cursor over it only shows a blank. Maybe you have to be the first to discover it to get the benefit??? In another game I'm playing I was the first and the 5 cultures shows up.

In my game I had two considerations. The map seems like a pangea so far and there's uncertainty about the patch so I wanted to have a decent military to ward off aggression. Also I wanted to speed up research to get to the culture benefit wonders. I'm planning on picking up a few SPs but then saving. So I went with 4 extra cities (last one obtained 6 iron) and have been building up military. I'm planning on using this initial set of units with timely upgrades to puppetize as much as possible.
I "discovered" El Dorado but not first. England apparantly was first. However I declared on England early (move 24) and a few turns later flush with cash they bought their way out of it with over 700 gold! Interestingly not that many turns after that I noticed England was hoarding another 700 or so gold. Wonder where they are getting that from?
Another oddity is that all AI are expanding with 4 or more cities except for China. They built one extra early and have stopped. And aside from England early on there appears to be a dearth of gold to trade for. Not sure if its the map or because of war expenditures. Everyone is at war with somebody it seems all the time here.
At the time of this writing its now around 900 AD and I have 4 cities and 6 puppets (1 china, 1 Almaty, 4 France). Next up is Russia. BTW I'm not eliminating any AI as it seems like this is bad for trading.

Does the El Dorado tile show the 5 cultures? When I put my cursor over it only shows a blank. Maybe you have to be the first to discover it to get the benefit??? In another game I'm playing I was the first and the 5 cultures shows up.

It is a pop-up that showed me the yield, if I remember correctly.
Besides, I sometimes have to switch back to 3D view (instead of the flat view that I am using) for my cursor tool-tip to display the yields or unit info's.

Think IM somewhere around turn 170. Settled 2 southeast on a jungle tile. Ended up with el dorado as well for a free settler I dropped southwest in what I felt was a nice spot by a lake. Had 2 cities for a while to milk some tradition policies and finally placed a third further west between me and france. Keepin everyone happy so far cept china whom I just puppeted. Got stonehenge and porcelain but nothin else. Just popped tower scientist for rifling and did some upgrades. Military is decent and oligarchy is in place case anything goes wrong. Will move it a bit further along shortly but I feel good about it so far. Workin down piety now got all of tradition and 2 piety.

I'm currently at 540 AD / Turn 137.

I'm trying to play quite peacefully. I've settled 3 cities, the capital + next to ElDorado (did not discover it first :() + next to 6 iron. Elizabeth denounced me very early on, and I have no idea why. However, all other AI are Friendly with me and I haven't fought any wars.

I'm picking up lots of Research Agreements and heavily abusing the method to 'select' which tech you get for free. I also have 2 maritime CS allies, the two NW and SW of my empire.

Policy wise I was initially selecting them as soon as they came up: Tradition, Aristocracy (wonder building), legalism (-:mad: in capital), Piety and the one policy I hoarded was to pick up Freedom. Next target is of course down Freedom toward Free Speech, while teching toward Cristo Redentor.

I'm maintaining a reasonably balanced, small, and upgraded army - hopefully I won't need them. If not, then this could be my first ever Civ5 game without a war. But I doubt that!

For some unknown reason, my game crashed at T281/1822 AD. Autosaves were set to 1 turn, so I've reloaded and will endeavor to persevere.

Also note that Steam upgraded my Civ V to version 1.0.1.141 just prior to starting TSG5. I had set it to not update per the TSG4 pre-game instructions, but it must have been reset when I downloaded the 1.0.1.135 patch. :confused:

Re: my game - I've found El Dorado and settled next to it. Researching toward Telegraph & Cristo Redentor, 2 tech away. Two wars with China, one to liberate CS Capetown (maybe should have kept it, as it has Mt. Fuji?), and a second war made a puppet of Shanghai. Only the Chinese Capitol remains, will attempt to take it after my units heal & peace treaty expires. I'm on pretty good turns with other AI civs.

This is what we were afraid would happen with STEAM.

Please let us know if and how it affects your game. :thanx:

Here is a list of the changes:

[STABILITY]

* Fix for various rare crash bugs

[MODDING]

* Re-enabled LUA library unused in the core game. It was removed because we didn’t think modders were using it, and apparently many, many are using it.

[GAMEPLAY]

* Fixed bug where as Siam, food from Maritime City States didn't provide the expected result.
* Make a few more negative promotions not pass through on upgrades
* Made the Mandekalu mounted unit have the same negative vs city as the other mounted units
* Increased the chance that the AI will improve sea plots

The new patch didn't fix this: in the attached screen shot, Lizzie denounces me for my conquest of Montezuma! I got this right after I had liberated the CS of Budapest from the CS of Hanoi, who had captured Budapest while it was an ally of Russia. And Lizzie is still Friendly with me. :crazyeye:

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to submit my game because I did cheat and replay some turns and made some changes,

The main reason I did that was because of dramatic bug in the gameplay, at first, and than to enhance my performance.

About the gameplay problem, Am I the only one who had some incomprehensible bonus in research. For example, while researching Iron working, I skip 3 turns and that did happen at least 3 times.

Am I the only one who had some incomprehensible bonus in research. For example, while researching Iron working, I skip 3 turns and that did happen at least 3 times.
I am also noticing that occassionally when I'm nearing the end of a tech it might say 2 turns remaining and yet I still complete it at the end of the turn, and sometimes with lots of overflow to spare. I think some source of research isn't being accounted for correctly...

About the gameplay problem, Am I the only one who had some incomprehensible bonus in research. For example, while researching Iron working, I skip 3 turns and that did happen at least 3 times.

I am also noticing that occassionally when I'm nearing the end of a tech it might say 2 turns remaining and yet I still complete it at the end of the turn, and sometimes with lots of overflow to spare. I think some source of research isn't being accounted for correctly...
I have noticed this as well, same symptoms as aj; research completes when it said there were several turns remaining. Probably happened at least 3 turns in my game.

I settled in place and focused on getting the 3 luxury up and running, so I could earn some early money. I wanted the Floating Gardens, so my capital could grow as fast as possible. But I also wanted a second city to grab more luxuries, so placed it nw to get gold, silk and later marble.

In policies I went for Landed Elite as early as possible. This is a tremendous help against the aggressive ICS like behavior of some of the AI. After this I saved up a bit on culture, because I had an opportunity to take advantage of 3(!) early RA's. And even with a failed Great Lib (damn you Napoleon! - he beat me to GL, StoneH AND the Pyramids!), I still managed a 84 turn Astronomy (my record before this was 95). After this I started on the path towards Free Speech. And with the 100% culture bonus policy, both my cities are on double culture.

I have also focused on early Temples and cranked out 2 GA's for some +4 culture improvements. I did find the El Dorarodo natural wonder, but the general area was empty of both lakes and luxuries, so I have to create my own wannabe El Doradoes :lol:

Normally England always hate my in any Civ game, but in this one Lizzy is overly friendly, but Cathrine hates me for "trying to win the game". Bismarck did hate me, but then I lucked out and freed one of his workes, so now there is just love!

The plan is to stay on friendly terms with as many civ's as possible, so I can keep earning full value on all the nice luxuries. As long as I'm allied with a fair amount of CS's and keep a small army, then it should be ok. Though most of my early Jags are dead to some random barbs, so I have to be careful with the rest.

Next goal: get some Patronage policies and then befriend cultural CS's. For research I'm building Porcelain Tower to get a GS to crack open Archaeology (to get early Louvre and Hermitage), so I need to start the long wait for Navigation. I have some more RA's line up, so I need to time those as well. Btw the RA optimization trick still seems a bit gamey to me, but that wont stop me from trying to use it. It is definitely a bit tricky to use and requires quite a bit of planning, so maybe it's ok.

Oh - I've also experienced the "2 turns left" on an early tech changing into giving me the tech on the following turn. Strange, but I'm not complaining too much :)

Top Bottom