Pie's Ancient Europe III Modmod - Hellas

Keinpferd

King
This is basically a Greece map for PAE III, with a little modding added to make up for some drawbacks due to the local, limited map section (Greece only). That means, many resources, wonders and techs would be missing. Therefore, there are new techs, wonders and resources.

Suspense
There are two types of diplo victory and a philosophy space victory. The game will end in the year 2 AD after 1000 rounds completed. That means, a domination victory with the brave Spartans or invincible Macedonians won't be a sure thing, for the other Civs will go for the other victory types.

Persians
All victory types could be in vain, for the Persians are on the map. They start on the other side of the Bosporus from the very beginning, but get reinforcements from the map boarder, much like on a paperboard tabletop wargame. These reinforcements are Python staged. They will make the ground shake, as the coder, who did the Persians, has already brought us plague, revolt and meteorite. Therefore, the Persians aren't likely to come singing and dancing. Complain about the Persians to Pie!

Thrifty ressources
Few civs get copper and tin close by. Some get nothing. Stategic ressources are on islands or in the middle of nowhere. You will have to sail for them. Or one civ got double copper and the other one double lead. Maybe they're coming to an agreement? There is hardly any gold. You find it at places, where it was actually mined in atiquity. The Egyptians traded wine to Crete. So find the Minoans on their island. That's where you have to look for the first of vines.

More new ressources
Flax, fruits, clay, timber. Terracotta of PAE becomes redfigured ware.

Stone age techs (inspired by The_Triturador and avain)
Ressources will be invisible at start. Gives you something to do at an early stage. About 15 new techs to research! The first of them reveal what ressources you got and in what direction you might want to research. If you're overeager to get a religion first and neglect your worker techs, you're gambling; if you are growing fast and forget about getting a religion, you might be set back in bronze age. Leave out the military techs – and get sacked by your friend Greek neighbours.

New peoples
From PAE on the map: the Athenians, Spartans, Thebans. In the northwest the small tribe of the illyrians. New Civs are Thrace, Troy, Lydians, Minoans, Arcadians, Achaeans, Aetolians, Epirotes, Thessalians, Corinthians and Argives.

Map
The Greece map from the Warlords scenario was touched by El Hidalgo and antiquified and redesigned by myself.

Maritime villages
They give a few more bucks than ordinary villages and must be built on terrain type Shore.

Early maritime colonization
An early pre-bronze-era boat, the Keftion, helps the expansive peoples explore the map, so that they know in the age of colonization where to go with their emigrants. Only the civs, who were blessed with timber or pine tree, can build the keftion.

Movement
Ships' movement is speeded up to cope with the huge map size.

Units
Enough isn't enough. There had to be some more skins, to avoid that all Greek armies fight in a generic way with same looks. Look forward to especially poor looking chariots of the especially poor civs, Dorian, Ionian, Macedonian and Scythian mercenaries, three kinds of Sarissa-phalangites and just about every Civ soldier being present who can hold a spear and looks Greek.

Formation
All hoplite units now stand in more dense formation in melee groups of six, except the crème de la crème like the Spartiats or Thebes' Sacred Band (who were the first to defeat the Spartans).

Bonus special units
In PAE III, there are several villages spread about the map that you have to conquer or settle nearby, in order to train local special bonus troops. Modded, the Assyrians change into Agrianians, the Teuton footmen into Molossians and the Balearian Slingers into Ionians. The Molossians excell in wearing an extra long gown, the Ionians are particularly good at attacking from the sea, and the Agrianians were a light elite unit of Alexander's army.

Dangerous new animals
Three quadrupeds, two of which can gallop and one being rather stolid. An eagle is yet in the making. His task will be circling and creating atmo. If I had an owl skin, I would make it Minerva's owl attached to the Athenians, as early ancient air recon.

Hunting
A unit Hunter, strong against animals, weak against military. Combined with PAE's hunting feature, the hunters will let civs with crappy starting positions in the woods keep track. In PAE, animals are very strong. They enter cultural boarders. If a civ starts in the woods, it will take a long time, until workers can improve the land safely, unless you protect them with hunters. Use them in pairs to counter multiple attacks from PAE's beasts.

Gathering
A female forager builds camps on river tiles. They yield a sparse +1 gold, but even that can make up a bit for a bad starting location and help research. There's a vast amount of ethnographic and archaeological evidence for a sexual division of labor in which men hunt and women gathered wild fruits and edible plants, so that's why it's a stone age girl skin. She also cuts trees and builts vineyards. As the process of civilization proceeds, she will wear more textile later in the game.

Cultural techs
Epics and Theogony are on the tech path to former Monotheism, now Mysteries of Eleusis. The Mysteries, themselves, are the former "Jewisch Monastery". They can be built only once and will produce Initiates of the Mysteries, formerly "Jewish Missionaries". The "Jewish Temple" becomes the Panathenaean games, since every other Greek city could have worshiped Athena as her main godess and dedicate her a festival. Salomo's Temple is, now, the Erechtheum of the Acropolis.

Wonders
The Erechtheum, a Heraion (Hera-temple), a Poseidon temple, the Panathanaean games.

Key tech
Judaism is replaced by Pallas Athena, but remained in terms of gameplay the same religion as in PAE III, which grants a great science boost. This represents a scientific dominance of one Greek city states (doesn't neccessarily have to be Athens), that at a certain point (founding of the "religion" Pallas Athena) even more explodes. The Jewish freedom fighters of PAE fit in this scheme very well, as representing the internal quarrels of city states that were often accompanied by exile, civil war and violence.

Religions
Rather for gameplay, than to make religion historians happy, several new religions were added. They are only meant to create religious anger between the civs, to avoid a boring eternal peace between the all Greek civs. Don't take the division of "Olympianism" into different "religions" too literally. It's there because of the interlinked way religion and diplo are working in BTS. They relate to the Greek's attaching site-specific surnames to the Olympians, such as Zeus Olympicus or Zeus Dictaios. Some worshiped a Zeus Pelasgicus, and the Arcadians knew a Zeus Lycaeus. On a side note, by adding the Zeus Lycaeus, the "wolf-Zeus", I learned some strange new things on how werewolves were part of Greek mytholgy…

Another cult
While Pie's latest add, the cult of Dionysos, was like practically made for this modmod, the Mithras cult changed into Asclepius'.

Civics
A little Grecized (Ephores, Tyrannis, Oligarchy…) und revaluated.

Two types of diplo victory
Found the Delian League and achieve a diplomatic victory according the Apostolic-Palace victory in BTS. Or found the Peloponnesian League, provided your civ possesses the "Peloponnese" bonus ressource that's located singularly on one tile on the peninsula.

Victory of Reason
Analogously to space victory, this victory type requires the works of ancient Greek thinkers, which will be assembled just like the spaceship parts in BTS. If you complete all the great writings of Pythagoras, Aristotle, et cetera, you got it made. The new Academy buildings in PAE III will add production to the sages's "projects", just like the Spacelift did. The las project of this kind will be a work of Epicure. You will need th tech Hellenism to start working on it. So, there will be time, to prevent science victory by force or treason…

Leadertraits
Kroesus, king of Lydia, is according to his legendary wealth, FINANCIAL, while Periander, tyrant of Corinth, is for the Corinthian colonialism and trade based economy MARITIME. MARITIME gives a free lighthouse in each new built city, more income from water tiles, faster builds of maritime buildings and promoted ships from the assembly line.

Sound
A little variety to the Civ oldies.

Troyan Horse
The poor Achaeans get the horse to make up for their miserable starting position. The horse is but a ram, that reduces city defences rapidly. When lost or the Achaens being conquered, it changes back into a regular ram. The Achaeans are at permanent war with Troy. Maybe they will ask you to join them. Because they got the horse but not quite the soldiers to lay siege on well defended Troy…

Additional Credits
Pie, Thorgal, wolfman1234, Scanner, Manifold, Bakuel, charle88, asioasioasio, Alazkan Assassin, Modfreak, Aranor, Ambrox62, SaibotLieh, poy`son, Kathy, The_J, The_Triturador, Avain, LunarMongoose, Kael, The TAM team, primeordial stew.

Download

I must say i have great fun playing the mod, and i think its perfect for some historical scenarios. Good work, keinpferd.

Keinpferd, here goes my argosian game if you want to see how it goes.

Attachments

• Diomedes BC-2568.CivBeyondSwordSave
    767.1 KB · Views: 91
Keinpferd, here goes my argosian game if you want to see how it goes.

Thanks, wolfman. Ts, the Troyans even conquered a couple of barb cities and no one felt in the mood to conquer them… But that's only because you're in your preBeta test copy game. Now, the core Greek city states are permanently at war with Troy with no option to make peace, so maybe they will set sails.

The oracle told me, that the Persian reinforcements will show up in a certain while:groucho:.

Welcome angelitocarc!

If you haven't already tried that, set the language to English.

Do you have this problem with other mods, too? Are you running the BUG-mod?

Make sure, you have BTS 3.19. The mod folder must be installed in the right place.

You can also open the Hellas.ini file with notepad or any text editor and change the lines Custom Art from user folder is not loaded NoCustomArt = 0 and Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded NoCustomAssets = 0

into

Custom Art from user folder is not loaded NoCustomArt = 1, and Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded NoCustomAssets = 1, respectively. Good luck!

I got a crash, here's the save.

Attachments

• Alexander BC-0742.CivBeyondSwordSave
    530.8 KB · Views: 70
Can you access the WB from your save? Because I can't, crashes at once, and all the Python debug log tells is: "City Acquired Event: Lissus." Which isn't uncommon, that a city's ownership changes:dunno:. Some crashes, however, seem to be connected to instances like that. Try to play from two saves before and maybe get access to the WB from there and see what's happening around Lissus. (Delete, what seems suspicious!)

I found a city called Lissos, but there isn't anything odd going on around it. I found some workers or slaves and deleted them on the chance that they took up arms and took over the city but that didn't stop the crash.

Here's a file from a few turns earlier.

On a side note, playing from that earlier save averts the crash.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-0744.CivBeyondSwordSave
    528.5 KB · Views: 74
Hope, you got around before and uncovering the map didn't spoil your game…

PAE IV beta isn't crashing anymore at all:p, and one new feature (at least) calls for a little Hellas update: In PAE IV, ships will be moving as fast as in Hellas, and if you noticed the unwanted side effect, that ships leave the harbor, inflict some damage, and then scurry back in that harbor again, without giving the other fleet a chance to engage, this was really needing a tweak. Very unrealistic and typical for turn based games, impossible in real time games. Now, ships loose half of their movement points after combat, and move slower when damaged or carrying cargo, so naval warfare will be much more interesting.

Spoiler :
I hope so. PAE V is going to be cool. Giving plenty of reason for an update! Thanks for asking, blue_inStinCt!

Are you a German speaker by the way? I'd guess you are, because only German speakers sometimes add a letter "l" in my avatar name;). If you are, check us out on the German forum, too, and catch the public Beta while it's up.

Great to hear Keinpferd! :scan:

hehe, Keinpferd, yep ur suspicion is true, iam a native german speaker, and tnx for pointing me to the public beta, DL'ing atm.
gotta register on the german forums soon i think, the discussion is very much alive there :)
i am really hoping to get a LAN game going with my mate, we havenot been able to do so in ver IV cous of too frequent crashes to desktop.
do u have any experience with LAN MP in Hellas mod? if my memmory serves me right in PAE III OOS is an issue
greetings

edit: haveing a lan game on Hellas would be awesome for us aswell since we had a common warcry for years now if we wanted to play civ (and that started in civ III days)
!!!!!!!!!GEN ILION !!!!!!!!

my mate will go nuts if he heres that there is a mod where he can actually set sails to ilion :)
Kudos

Tschuggi, while the horse itself isn't pretty, the art is:D! You're reminding me, that I always wanted to clarify, that the map called "Hellenic" included in PAE is a different thing than the modmod "Hellas."

blue_inStinCt: I'm a bit skeptical about the MP. Would be a pity to abandon a good game in a late state. But one reason, why these problems haven't got solved yet, is that we may just not have collected enough data and error logs. I don't know anything about troubleshooting MP, but I suppose, if more people are taking the risk of not being able to finish an MP game, there would be a greater chance of finding clues, what's wrong with MP in PAE. I remember that PAE II was MP compatible:help::).

Great stuff!
I've played a game or two, without much thinking, just exploring this modmod.

In one game, barbarian freedom fighters appeared and totally ruined me. :rolleyes:

That's OK. I'll get them eventually, but it was somewhat illogical (to me, anyway) that they have emerged from one of my cities and had strength 8 (and there were more than 20 of them), while my most powerful unit was axeman with strength 4.

Thanks!

Top Bottom