Gotm 24

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
This month’s GOTM is a combination of ideas.

First, you start in Fundamentalism. You are not allowed to change governments at all during the course of the game.

Second, the AI players start at either Monarchy or Communism. They are allowed to change governments during the course of the game.

Third, no huts.

You are Tokugawa of the Japanese and start the game with Bronze Working and two settlers.

Deity level, Normal Size map, Restarts are off, Barbs are set to Restless Tribes.

GOTM 24 Save

No huts is gonna complicate figuring out the specials pattern... but thanks for another Fundy start. That'll help us deal with Deity...

Two settlers on deity... an unexpected but needed bonus!

As far as AI governments go, I hope that they change to Despotism as soon as the game starts! :D

Be sure to read about this in Gotm18, the last time we tried this Deity Fundy game.

Max Science is 50%, then halved I guess, paltry to be sure.
Irrigation is useful right from the beginning.
Trade helps Science.
Pyramids appear very desirable, as there is no Celebration Growth without Republic and Democracy.

Originally posted by Marlos
Two settlers on deity... an unexpected but needed bonus!

Were you being sarcastic here and I've just missed it?
:confused:
This looks to be another interesting game but will definitely prove difficult for the OCC-only players. :crazyeye: I think that some may not even attempt this because it will be so difficult as OCC. I'd also like to see an additional points bonus for those who finish with spaceship, because that's going to be one heck of a challenge! :goodjob:

Anything science related in Fundy is a challenge.

MAC and PC are fully compatible.It will work.May take some fiddling.I used to take the PC save and compress it with stuffit with dropstuff,then just decompress and that worked.I'm sure there is a much simpler method though.Been so long since I turned my MAC on :eek:

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
Keep the cash flowing, deliver caravans, and rule the world. Simple. ;)
Dont forget to build some nice weapons to take out the enemy Capital:D
Try to get your Military advisor to say"lets bonk some heads":)

Given the "freedom" to avoid the initial technical goal of monarchy, the second question is what to push for in research at the outset? The first question is...Classic or MGE?

I think Masonry for the Pyramids.

I think I will go with Horseback Riding first, which is very unusual for me. It's good to have a couple of horses around in case nasty barbarians show up close to the capital. Since there are no huts we have to build the barb killers ourselves.

Next I will get Trade, Map Making and Masonry, probably in that order. I think Marco Polo and Pyramids are two very good early wonders for this type of game and I also want to settle other continents as soon as possible. I will play this game ICS style by the way.

Next research goal is monotheism and then invention-gunpowder-railroad.

And if I combine that with Starlifter's Super Gold City idea I think I this game will be easy to play.

I agree with cliff. HBR first, to explore quickly. Map Making might be unnecessary if the continent is big, but I'm not counting on it (although I can see it's already bigger than in GOTM 23 :) ). Hopefully there's a river or whales nearby for an SSC.

Trade will be very important, as will getting Michelangelo for the cash! Let's go, boys!

PS I wasn't being sarcastic, duke, just happy that we have two settlers this game. Starting Fundy we will need all the population we can get!

Originally posted by Xyvyr
Hmmm... no GOTM for the Mac minority I assume? :(
I am a Mac user and I have been playing all GOTMs since 16. As TheStorm mentioned just download, run civ2, choose load game, and pick the downloaded game.

Originally posted by GaryNemo
Max Science is 50%, then halved I guess, paltry to be sure.
You are right. The game gives you the false impression that you can set science higher than 50%, but if you set it at say 60% only 50% will go to science and the remaining 10% will go to taxes. Whatever you set the science at, the amount of beakers would be half what they are under other governments.

Another unusual challenge. Thanks Duke.

I was anxious to do another OCC given my bitter loss last time around, but given the parameters that has to wait. Doing an OCC with no huts, stuck-at-fundamentalism, a 1 special origianl site, and the AI starting with an advanced form of government is insane. Maybe super players like Smash, Kev, Starlifter, ... can pull it off but definitely not me.

For an OCC this would be much harder than GOTM18 and few dared try it back then. Kev was the glaring exception, he conquered the world with just 1 city. No one else who turned in a result did an OCC.

For the sake of comparison, I've 'bumped' my thread regarding my OCC in GOTM #18 so you can see what went on with that. It was tough - and really not something I even expected to win. I got lucky in the beginning though, and the rest fell into place nicely.

This setup as an OCC would REALLY be a difficult endeavor. Without huts, it takes away the ability to get some free cash, non-units, tech, and perhaps that extra nomad. Barbs can be a great boon if you're popping huts with a few dips. No more.

Allowing the AI to change governments is evil, but a lesser evil. By conquer, Library and by looking pathetic one can usually keep up in tech at least. Further, I'm wondering if the AI might not switch around to Despotism anyway - it's kooky like that sometimes.

Haven't looked at the start, but one shouldn't worry too much about specials in a Fundy OCC. In fact, it's likely better to have some hills rather than ocean squares to make for production. The extra trade from something like fish/water or the extra food from something like wheat just won't help all that much. Once you reach max pop in this OCC, scientists are almost useless, elvis' are redudant and taxmen won't contribute all that much either.

This is a smaller map, I think, than #18 so a conquer try is still possible. A spaceship landing victory would be amazing. Very interesting to consider the possibility...

Originally posted by Ali Ardavan
Another unusual challenge. Thanks Duke.

I was anxious to do another OCC ....and the AI starting with an advanced form of government is insane.

The AI's with Communism will undoubtbly switch froms of government. Then they wont be able to get back to Communism is the forseeable future. (a weakness in the scenario, the AI's should be the Communism or Monarchy tech and we should get the fundimenalism tech to be fair, but then we would have fanatics at start which would be grossly unfair)

just my opinion/idea :)

Top Bottom