New Unit: Polynesian Voyaging Canoe

embryodead

Caliph
my 1st unit - UU for the Polynesian civ - double-hulled voyaging canoe. pedia text & icons included. there are no "water" effects as I wasn't able to do them. thanks for Neomega for making me download Rhino.

BTW it won't look any good if multi-figured ;)

download:
hokulea.zip

Attachments

• hokulea_preview.gif
    hokulea_preview.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 5,109
Is that little flag the civ specific colour? but it seems like a very good unit for me, is there a leader head for this Polynesian civ or do I just use the Hawaiin Leaderhead?

that's a needed addition and thanks for makeing it.

can someone tell those of us that don't know, what mulifigured is.

Perfect!

I'm using the Hawaiian LH for my Polynesian civ, as it is the only one available right now. Besides, one Polynesian leader should be as good as another. Unless, I suppose, you're Polynesian. :)

I'm guessing by "multi-figured", you're referring to the suggested unit mod that has several of each unit represented in each unit graphic?

rd

HotDog Fish, yes, the flag is civ-specific colour. Hawaiians are of Polynesian origin so it's ok. Basically Hawaiians came to Hawaii by voyaging canoes, so this unit can be for Polynesia or Hawaii, depends how you like it. If anyone needs polynesian cities/leaders I can post those from my mod.

As for the multifigured, yes I meant that idea of several units in one square. Actually it will look ok multifigured, I just have doubts about it in general ;)

Originally posted by bhiita
that's a needed addition and thanks for makeing it.

can someone tell those of us that don't know, what mulifigured is.

Kryten (and now Steph) have developped a way of gathering many units instead of just one to represent a real phalanx, squadron,... They can different behavior within the same square.

Originally posted by embryodead
my 1st unit - UU for the Polynesian civ - double-hulled voyaging canoe. pedia text & icons included. there are no "water" effects as I wasn't able to do them. thanks for Neomega for making me download Rhino.

BTW it won't look any good if multi-figured ;)

download:
hokulea.zip

Nice and original.

What is Rhino, where to get it and is it easy to use ?

I might as well try to join in the fun... even if it is a likely failure

Originally posted by Kal-el
Now we just need a king Kamehameha leaderhead and we're all set. :goodjob:

Thanks, but what's wrong with Liliuokalani? Its damn good leaderhead.

Originally posted by LouLong
What is Rhino, where to get it and is it easy to use ?

You can download evaluation copy from www.rhino3d.com but it will be best if you check Neomega's tutorial in tutorials section. Learning 3d with Rhinoceros is really easy.

Looks really good... much more polished than my first attempt was :)

Kal-El: Piernik's king Porus makes a great Polynesian leader I think.

Originally posted by embryodead
Thanks, but what's wrong with Liliuokalani? Its damn good leaderhead.
Nothing is technically wrong with her, its just that I wouldn't really consider her to be the best choice. What did she do? Not a whole lot. Whereas king Kamehameha united the Islands and created the largest empire in the south pacific.

The Liliuokalani leaderhead is very nicely done. She's just not my choice for leader of the Polynesian Civ. Just as I would rather see a different leader than Joan of Arc and Mao. Just personal preference thats all. And Piernik's leaderheads just don't have the same quality as Sween32's or the Liliuokalani head. I guess I am just being picky and maybe I should shut my mouth and be grateful that any of these things are being made at all. :)

Originally posted by Nahuixtelotzin
Kal-El: Piernik's king Porus makes a great Polynesian leader I think.

I do not agree. Porus is too dark to be Polynesian though he could do for a Melanesian leaderhead though.

My 2 cents'

The resolution looks awesome, that would be an excellent unit for a civ in the south-pacific, maybe make it an upgrade to galley or something.

Heh... Thanks for the defense of the Lili leaderhead.
Embryo, I cannot thank you enough for this unit! I've been needing it *forever* to make my Hawaiian civilization work in my game ^_^ Now I can stop doubling up on the canoe...
And Kal-El, perhaps Kamehameha was a better leader, but I did my research of Hawaii/Polynesia about three weeks after I had already begun my Queen Liliuokalani leaderhead. I've always been partial to Lili, and Kamehameha just doesn't have the public recognition (And history book space!) that the last Hawaiian Queen did.
Also, Queen Pomare IV would also be a good alternate leader choice for Polynesia. You may want to look her up, especially if you want a female leader that made a halfway decent contribution.

I am interested in making a new leaderhead, but the difficulty with Poser is that there are separate models for men and for women, and seperate downloads, clothing, poses, skins, etcetera... I downloaded all the Female files I need for Poser, and no male files, and I'm loathe to download all the male stuff until I absolutely have to. If anyone has any good ideas for a female leaderhead, or even a female unit, I'd be glad to hear them. Right now, I'm just playing around with Poser to increase my skills, and doing a bit of idle work on a female National Guard unit...
If you need an example of what I've been doing with Poser lately, take a look at my future avatar ;)
http://www.jsspace.com/lommtwt/images/Cowgirl2.jpg

Top Bottom