Monarch Student^ XXVI Joao II

BigTime

Prince
Welcome to another edition of Monarch Student Prime! In this 26th edition of Monarch Student we use one of the best water leaders! And no, it's not Williem :p

Yes Joao! He has a good trait combo in Imperialistic and Expansive, allowing him to spam out cities quickly and set them up quickly with cheap workers and granaries. He's a leader that doesn't see a lot of love, but it just as good as any of the other middle-tier leaders in my opinion.

His UU is the Carrack:

One of the few naval UUs, the Carrack is like a galleon that comes with optics, allowing for some early intercontinental warfare or settling. It's pretty good in my opinion, and will be quite useful in the map we are playing this week. It can hold 2 units.

His UB is the Feitoria:

A customs house that provides +1 commerce on water tiles. It suits the naval game of Portugal well and gives a nice boost to coastal cities. It's not gamebreaking, but it sure is helpful.

The Start:

Clams, clams, and clams! Pretty nice for a fishing start and we even have a plains hill to work to get out work boat out early!

Map is Big and Small, normal continents, islands mixed in! Meshes well with Portugal's unique characteristics! Make sure you get your cities fast, because there is a lot of land to be had.

Huts and Events are OFF, add events in the custom scenario if you wish. (just make sure to cover the top part with your hand so you don't see the AIs )

And a cut-and-paste from Meatbuster's Monarch Student games:

Save the file and place it in your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then unzip it into your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then use Playing a scenario to play your desired level. Or use custom scenario if you want to remove huts and/or events.

Recommended Checkpoints:
*1000BC or 1AD
*500AD
*1000AD or Liberalism
*Victory!

Please remember to put the journals of your adventures inside spoiler tags.

For Monarch+ players please try to add archery back to the barbs in WB. If you don't, AIs will capture cities with archers very early in the game, which is no fun. If you prefer easymode barbs, that's fine too, just don't go wondering why an AI captured a barb city in the very early BCs!

Thanks go to TMIT for making an excellent map creation guide and to mjg5591 for getting this series back on track!

And finally, the save!

Attachments

• MSXVI Joao II.zip
    67.1 KB · Views: 154
Hi guys. Going for this game on the difficulty that is 2 below Deity (Emperor?). Speed is normal. Didn't do anything in the WB, just opened the Emperor map.

played up to Turn 118, 75AD.

Spoiler :
1st session
SIP -> WB, Bronze
8: WB done, Worker
11: hi Kyrus
12: 21% across a river lion kills warrior.
15: -> AG. Esp. on Kyrus, so he met one
20: chopping another WB
23: -> AH
24. Mining PH
28: Warrior now
30: chopping Worker.
34: -> Myst.
35: Stopping 3rd chop, going Warrior.
36. Pasture Cow with 2 Workers
38: Judaism goes
40: chop into Stonehenge
41: hi Zara. Another cop into Stonehenge
42: 1 worker into woods for chop, 1 on horse.
44: chop into Stonehenge
45: switching PH to horse. The wheel done in 2. Worker on far east grass hill.
46. Horse worker to chopped grassland river
47: Stonehenge to me. Roading grassland, chopping hill. -> Pottery.
48: Chop into Settler. Road on hill. Grassland worker on hill.
51: Settler out -> screen.
53: -> Sailing. Risky moves with Settler but I saw Kyrus’ scout so figured it was save.
54: 2nd city 1NW of Sheep. Granary 1st while Capital builds warriors until 5, then workers and settlers.
61: I find Kyrus’ border at the south west pig hill. Need to claim land there with my new Settler
62: Porto at size 2, going Slavery. -> Masonry.
66: settling 1S of pig. Not coastal and no worker near, so worker first. Roading horse. Need some more warriors until I can road to 3rd because my warrior died to a warrior in the east desert.
69: OB with Zara. Gold hooked up.
70: hi Vic. Coming with a workboat from south. Scouting there now with a Chariot.
71: -> writing.
75: hi Hammu. Came from East, founded Hindu, Kyrus is Hindu. Moved on Hill to let Barb Warrior suicide on my Warrior and met the Northpole Gangbang Squad.
Spoiler :

76: Porto working gold mine, PH mine and sheep will build 1-2 chariots, then failgold from Pyra. No worker power to grow it more right now. Chopping into Great Wall at Capital. If I get it: great, if not, then it's also OK.
78: Chariot defeated first barb without damage and went to 2 exp, so I go Pyra right away.
79: 2nd barb down, taking health pack for 3 strength. barb archer is damaged for some reason. As was one of the barb warriors. My warrior lost the first fight. I'm confused
80: Wall went to someone else, going TGL. Barb archer dealt no damage to Chariot, giving it another health pack. New archer shows up north. I heal until it approaches.
81: Zara has Alphabet.
85: TGL goes. Moneys. Whipping a settler out. Building another one. ->Alphabet right now.
89: Switching to hunting.
91: settling 1N of deer and 2SW of Silk
95: Slider 20% but soon there comes that Prophet. Going to silk site with it as I will cottage there like mad. It is somewhat hammer poor to, due to no real food ressource. Makes sense? :)
102: Prophet settled after a long journey. Got scientists running, so its good. Hindu spread to me. Vic is Buddhist now, Zara still neutral
103: Alphabet done. Trading to Kyrus for iron working. Hammu is missing it. If he doesn’t get anything useful for trading I gift it to him anyways. -> Currency now. Iron shows up twice. One near capital
104: settling between iron and gold.
108: Alpha for Poly to Hammu.
110: settling 2W of Wheat.
116: settling whale city 1E of Cow
117: Zara already has Currency. I beg for 2 gold per turn. Merci!
118: Currency is here to save us . Porto still on Pyramids. I don’t need the wealth there now, so I let it build.
Currency for Maths, Meditation, 25 Gold to Vicky.
Myst for 30 Gold to Kyrus.

Land Area as of 75AD.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Tech 75AD
Spoiler :

What to do now? Go for CoL and stabilize the economy even more or go the Aesthetics route for brokering and going for a 2x fail gold Paya?

Edit: Tue, Jan 25:

I save at turn 221 and forfeit for now. I'm too frustrated to take a war that will be annoying like hell, take ages and still won't bring me into winning position, as the rest of the world, who all love each other, can go space, culture, modern armor or cultural modern space armor.

I try different maps now and wait for some posts here.

Im back from college a little earlier this week because of a flu, so i'll give this a try tommrow, siging in Emperor/Normal.

That sucks :( I've seriously had like five friends get the flu this week as well as my brother and my dad. Nice to have you back though :D

There's something going around allright in Ireland aswell, i noticed in my english and history lecture's that there were a lot of people were coughing :D, thats probally where i picked it up. Its a seasonal thing. I hope get better:)

Settler first, duh.

Comment on map.
Spoiler :
Its not big and small, its fractal/pangea

Spoiler :
Tough Map! Carracks helped alot, letting me avoid Astro to keep the Collosus going. But Hammy has a ton of land and is up to 19 cities already without war :crazyeye: I'm first to lib but they are catching up. We'll see how it goes.

I tried for a peaceful UN win without war, but i might have to restart:
Spoiler :

I did'nt realise just how terrible our land is, i tried for the UN but i just did'nt have enough votes. Looks like i'll have to kill cyrus with swords/Cats and take his land if i have a chance at winning.By the way Bigtime, vicky, Hammy and zara are huge (hammy has 20%land and pop,very difficult to beat an AI like that on high levels), you should've added at least two extra AI's, there's usually alot of land on B&S, so that would've made the game more balanced.

After a few immortal losses, I want a win!

Emperor/normal to 1 AD

Spoiler :

Holy crap our land is bad. Opened AG-AH-Mining-BW with work boat-work boat- worker. Took a run at the two gold sites then focused on wonders:

Actually got GW on accident as I was building it for the time period in between masonry and sailing. TGL was my ultimate prize, though. With this crappy land and the abundance of coastal cities on this map script it really helped my tech and helped me keep up with the AIs even with my crappy land.

Techs are good. I'm going classical on Cyrus to actually get some good land. Swords are being produced until I get construction then switching over to cataputs. He's a heathen and nobody really likes him, so I should be OK.

Crappy land, but making the most of it!

Emperor/normal to Liberalism

Spoiler :

I continue with my plan to build up swords + cats to kill off cyrus. Once I get around 10 swords and 10 cats I'm ready:

The war does take a while, but luckily Cyrus does not get feudalism so the cities are cut down pretty quickly. I beg gold from Hammurabi and Zara to make sure he doesn't peacevassal and finish him off. Nets me a LOT of land and 5-6 good cities.

My economy obviously was in the pooper by then, but with that much land tech will eventually come. I backfilled my lands and developed all of Cyrus's cities to get some tech going. I lost lib of course, to Zara:

But I didn't care. I'm going straight to Communism and then spamming some production buildings and from there deciding my plan of action. I will either go straight for UN if someone besides Hammu and Zara are number 2 pop or just slog it out with domination and kill everybody.

The techs LOOK bad, but a few monopoly techs will put me right at tech parity, which should suffice for any later wars.

Emperor/normal to 1735 UN

Spoiler :

Straight-shotted Mass Media after communism and set all workers to auto with every city emphasizing hammers. This net me >2000 bpt to beat the AIs there. I gift Huayna all the way up to Mass Media and let him build UN so it will be me vs. him for the victory. It works to perfection:

I thought me + Hammurabi + Zara + Vicky was necessary, but I didn't even get Vicky's vote and still won with just me, Hammurabi, and Zara. The triangle alliance we formed was very strong, causing the three of us to be the far and away leaders in just about everything.

So I wait five turns and...

Boom goes the dynamite.

Graphs and K/D with the Cyrus War:

The initial surrounding land is pretty terrible, and Hammurabi and Zara can get really big with all the land they have, but I believe that the key to this map is to take out Cyrus early, either via rush or classical warfare, to get some research going. Then you can play the game as it develops.

If UN wouldn't have worked out, I could have easily just gotten to computers first, built internet, then tech out all the SS techs and launch, probably in the 1800s.

for my first venture into the forums, I'll take a whack at this, being that I play Monarch but am not very good :p I'll start it soon.

I was going to do it at 1000 BC but missed the mark, so here's fine.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
**Sorry the pic is small, just click on it.** I settled in place, and soon after hooked up one of the clams and started to explore, I met one of Cyrus's Scouts in the northeast and one of Hammu's Bowmen in the southeast. I settled the gold site to my north, just for the sake of getting the gold, and I thought it could be a decent Workshop hammers city in the future. Then I settled the other gold in between the two lakes, warded off a barb attack on it, and that's where I left off. Planning on taking the spice city for myself, but first I'm researching Aesthetics for when the AI gets Alphabet. Once I get Calendar, I'll settle the Spice. P.S. The spice city will be on the riverside grassland

imm, Settler first to power horse archer rush (slower rush, more cities and more production, designed to take out 2 enemies)
Spoiler :

Hammurabi has bowmen and no bronze, if I heal and attack right away, I should be able to overwhelm him pretty easily.

Can start trading up for hr and head to courthouses.

1920AD Loss:
Spoiler :
I sword rushed cyrus but i fell behind in tech after, i did manage to catch up around demrocary, and State property really helped me out. Not great for somebody who was trying to get a space victory. Hammy ran away with this game, he had 25% land and pop. I tried to go for the internet but he got if first (being the tech leader it would'nt have helped him) Hammy then dowed on Zara with a bunch of tanks and capped him a few turns later. Vicky dowed on Hayuna, and so did Ragnar and his colony roosevelt.Hammy got a colony of his own, issy and vicky spun cartage off.I actually managed to get about 3 thrusters and all of the castings finished, but hammy launched in 1918AD. I had a stack waiting for this, but i wanted to finish SDI. When i finished it, i nuked hammy's cap, but i was out of moves, my navy SOD was wiped out on the next turn. Hammy launched a couple of ICBM's and tat nukes at me but my SDI shot them down. Hammy had SDI aslo. I just don't see a way to win this, so im going to say GG.It was a fun map, but BigTime, i really think you should have added another AI next to hammy. He expanded to 30 cities peacefully and its very difficult to beat an AI like that on the higher difficulty levels.

1920AD Loss:
Spoiler :
I sword rushed cyrus but i fell behind in tech after, i did manage to catch up around demrocary, and State property really helped me out. Not great for somebody who was trying to get a space victory. Hammy ran away with this game, he had 25% land and pop. I tried to go for the internet but he got if first (being the tech leader it would'nt have helped him) Hammy then dowed on Zara with a bunch of tanks and capped him a few turns later. Vicky dowed on Hayuna, and so did Ragnar and his colony roosevelt.Hammy got a colony of his own, issy and vicky spun cartage off.I actually managed to get about 3 thrusters and all of the castings finished, but hammy launched in 1918AD. I had a stack waiting for this, but i wanted to finish SDI. When i finished it, i nuked hammy's cap, but i was out of moves, my navy SOD was wiped out on the next turn. Hammy launched a couple of ICBM's and tat nukes at me but my SDI shot them down. Hammy had SDI aslo. I just don't see a way to win this, so im going to say GG.It was a fun map, but BigTime, i really think you should have added another AI next to hammy. He expanded to 30 cities peacefully and its very difficult to beat an AI like that on the higher difficulty levels.

Spoiler :

Stevoh, I don't even SEE the AIs and the land they are given. All I do check is that we are not isolated. I do think you are right that if I had added another AI the game would have been a little more balanced. I hate runaway AIs just as much as the next guy, but I still want to play the game blind.

Maybe you should have tried to attack Hammurabi yourself earlier? Like an industrial/renaissance type warfare, before he had such a commanding tech lead on his way to space. If you would have been able to cap him, or at least take a chunk out of his production, you maybe could have won the game.

Top Bottom