Turns, Ticks & Theaters

Part_Time_Civer

Warlord
I labeled my ideas, because I want to be able to label sub-ideas. It makes it easier to discuss them (I hope) but is by no means intended as some sort of statement about their worthiness (such “my idea is the number 1 idea” or something like that). Maybe it would be a good idea for the administrators to label all ideas, so it becomes easier to make a list (for the purpose of voting for instance).

Idea 2: Turns, Ticks & Theaters

October 1942, El Alamein, North Africa. German general Erwin Rommel has just ordered his tanks to dig in. Allied general Montgomery shouts out: "Hey Rommel, are you done moving your tanks? So it´s my turn then? Don´t forget to press enter, thanks!"

Bizarre? Ludicrous? Absolutely. Yet this is the way every single Civ release so far works. In reality, both parties hand down orders to their troops, not knowing what the enemy will do. For instance, Montgomery might have told his tank divisions, move from here to there, if you see German tanks, engage if they´re Panthers, stay stationary and call backup if they´re Tigers, and withdraw if they have tactical air support. Of course he wouldn´t know for sure if his tanks would encounter any Germans at all.

How do we emulate this process in Civilization? To me, the solution is simple. Each turn in the game is divided in 2 phases. Edit: I just noticed that Windsor has proposed a similar idea (see his thread Combat between turns? ) only in less detail. Would love to have his feedback on my proposal.

In phase 1, each player (whether human or AI) tells his troops where to move, without actually being able to move them. Little arrows appear on the map, indicating where you units are ordered to go. With all the arrows, your map will look like you´re watching Great Commanders on the History Channel. Of course, you don´t see the arrows of you opponents (unless sufficient espionage has been done). You can however see what your enemy have done in their previous move. This is –I propose- visible as little grey arrows.

In phase 2, the actual movement -of all players- takes place simultaneously.
First the strategical air units move. So Rommel bombs Alexandria (I don´t think he ever did that, but for the example´s sake let´s assume) at the same that that the Americans bomb some Pacific island (for instance). The point is, both events happen simultaneously.
Then the ground and sea units move. Units can obviously attack other (stationary) units, defend while being attacked, or encounter enemy units. What happens if they encounter an enemy? That depends on the Marching Orders (Sub Idea 2.1). I will get back to that.
Now, to calculate whether and where units encounter each other we need to keep in mind that some units are speedier than others. For this I propose to use the Tick System (Sub Idea 2.2).
Just as in previous Civ releases, each unit has a certain amount of movement points. I propose there will be 3 ´ticks´, and in every tick each unit spends one third of his movement points. The (rounded down) amount of Accumulated Points determine the actual movement. Any surplus is retained. After the move, the (unrounded) used movement points are substracted from the total.

Complicated? Well, the player doesn´t need to understand these rules in order to play. So playability is not at stake. The programmer does though, so let´s work out 3 examples.

Say you have a tank which has 3 movement points (assume). It has been ordered to move 3 tiles, simple terrain, so no hills or jungle or anything. At the first tick, the tank invests 1/3 of 3 movement points, which equals 1 Accumulated Point. The tank will move 1 tile on it´s chosen path. At the second tick, the unit invests 3/3= 1 movement point again. It will move one tile again, and so it will in the 3rd tick.
What if the tank´s chosen path includes a hill on tick 2? It needs 2 point to cross a hill tile, so in tick 2, it doesn´t move. Because it doesn´t move, it retains 1 point. In tick 3 it invests 1 point which is then added to the retained point totaling 2 points, which is enough to cross the hill.

Now, there is also a destroyer at sea, say 8 movement points, which has been ordered to move 8 tiles. At the first tick, 8/3= 2.67 movement points can be invested. The unit moves 2 tiles (rounded down). The unit retains 0.67 points. At tick 2, the destroyer invests 2.67 again. It´s total accumulation before moving is 2.67+0.67= 3.33. The unit moves 3 tiles and retains 0.33 points. At tick 3 total accumulation before moving equals 2.67+0.33 = 3. The unit moves 3 tiles, and Accumulated Points equals zero (this is always the case).

Let´s also assume that Gandhi has some phalanx running around somewhere. 2 movement points (suppose). In tick 1, the phalanx invests 2/3= 0.67 movement points. Rounding down yields zero, so the unit doesn´t move in the first tick. It gets to retain all it´s invested points though, because it doesn´t move. In tick 2, it invests 0.67 movement points again. Now the accumulated total is 0.67+0.67= 1.33. Rounding down yields 1, so the unit moves one tile. The unit retains 0.33 points. At tick 3, total accumulation before moving equals 0.67+0.33= 1. The unit moves 1 tile and Accumulated Points equals zero as before.

So far so good, but what if units encounter each other?
Basically, if you ordered your tank to move 3 tiles, at each tick a couple of things may happen:
a) No enemy units are encountered.
b) Allied or friendly units are encountered.
c) Neutral units (belonging to a civ with whom you are not at war) are encountered.
d) Stationary enemy units are encountered.
e) You pass through a tile through which enemy units pass as well, but at a different tick.
f) You pass through a tile through which enemy units pass as well, at the same tick.
g) You pass through a tile through which enemy units, as well as allied or friendly units, pass as well, at the same tick
h) You pass through a tile through which enemy units, as well as allied or friendly and neutral units, pass as well, at the same tick .

In scenario a, b, c and e no combat takes place. It is totally possible for multiple units (whether friendly or allied or neutral) to pass through or even end up in the same tile. The notion that a tile the size of Belgium cannot contain multiple tank divisions has always eluded me. As you will see later, the stack of death is not always a viable strategy though (I will explain in the Supply Lines section).

In scenario d, combat takes place as it always has. I suggest we return to the previous ADM (attack strenght-defence strenght-movement point) system, because in my view, it does make a difference whether you´re attacking or defending (that difference being the element of suprise). Combat worked fine in Civ2 in my opinion, with 1 notable ommission; we are dealing with soldiers, who are thinking human beings. That means they will (try to) withdraw if losing the fight. Unless they´re Japanese-style kamikaze warriors, I will get back to that in the Marching Orders section.

Withdrawing occurs when hit points get close to zero and only if at the particular tick there is no enemy unit (besides settlers/workers) in the previously occupied tile. Defending units can withdraw as well, if sufficient movement points remain (always the case as we´re talking about a stationary enemy unit), they will move to the opposite direction. For example, if you attack an enemy unit from the south-west and they are losing the fight, they will withdraw to the north-east. If that´s not possible (because of terrain or enemy units blockading their retreat path) they will move either north or east depending on the presence of friendly (from their perspective) units.

In scenario f combat will take place if at least on of the passing units is willing to engage the enemy. That´s right, units will decide themselves if they fight or not, but their decision depends on the Marching Orders. Let´s assume for now combat takes place. Now who´s attacking and who´s defending? Neither party is, so combat probabilities depend not on Attack nor Defence strenght, but on a new metric which I propose we coin Encounter Strenght. Unit stats are thus decribed according to the ADEM system instead of ADM. Maybe Encounter Strenght is simply the average of Attack and Defence strenght. I leave that for the programmers to decide.
If sufficient movement point are left, the losing unit will withdraw if possible (see above). A unit cannot withdraw more than once during a turn though (so if it withdraws in tick 1 it can´t withdraw in tick 2 or 3).

In scenario g and h the same thing happens, but multiple units take place in combat.
Multiple friendly (or allied) units always create synergy while fighting. Some units have particularly high synergy percentages. Such as tanks and helicopters. Neutral units don´t affect the outcome, they just pass through or remain stationary in that particular tile.

Now here is an important point. Multiple units create synergy, so that means it is good strategy to make sure several of your units pass an area at a particular point in time. And this is exactly what real generals do. Watching military documentaries, you often hear the commentaror saying “army group A was supposed to meet army group B at location XYZ…etc”. This sort of planning is what I would like players to engage in.

Sub Idea 2.1: Marching Orders

As mentioned before, combat takes place if 2 opposing units are present in a tile (by movement or by simply being fortified) at the same tick, and if either of them (or both) decides to engage the other. How does that work? Well, the decision to engage in combat is based on the assesment of succes. Think about this, if you are a (low ranking) officer in any army at war, and you see the enemy you will only engage them if you think you´re going to win. Chances of succes are calculated the same as they are now. How high must the probability be to engage? That depends on the Marching Orders. A cautious player with a small army may tell it´s troops that it should be at least 70%. Other players with excess (obsolete) units may go for 60%. A player may assign an engagement percentage of 80% to a very expensive (highly upgraded unit. So you can differentiate between units. Anything less than 60% only works with particular units, i.e. special forces, such as marines, SAS, Jaegers and the like. They are willing to fight against the odds. Anything less than 40% may only work with religious fanatics (they think they go to paradise), or with special forces of a fascist state (they fight at gunpoint).

Marching Orders do not merely include the engagement percentage. They also prescribe if a unit will withdraw. Normally units do withdraw if they are in dire straits, but special forces and the like can be told not to, and fight to the death.

Sub Idea 2.2: Tactical Air Support

Units with are about to engage in battle (whether voluntarily or not) can call for air support, if any tactical bomber (such as Stukas, Mig15s, Phantoms and the like) are nearby. Those air will decide whether an where to fight on their own, based on a certain order of preference. Suppose 1 tank division within the operational range of a fighter is about to engage in combat. The fighter will help the tank, improving it´s combat statistics. Suppose there´s a tank and a cavalry unit, it will help the tank (it´s more expensive). Suppose there are 2 tank divisions within the fighter´s range, it will help the one who is closest, unless 1 tank has preferential rights (you assign that to units which are important to you, for instance units that have a lot of upgrades.

Sub Idea 2.3: Artillery Support

Artillery Support works the same way as Tactical Air Support. Artillery units can be ordered to move like any other unit, and will decide when to fire and at whom the same way as fighters do. Firing doesn´t cost movement points and can be done during any tick, only 1 time per tick though.

Sub Idea 2.3: Theathers of Action

So what if you supplied orders to all of your units and you press enter? Think of the real world. You´re playing the WW2 scenario as the Germans. The Americans fight the Japanese. Should you be able to see the action? Yes, because your Japanese allies would inform you. You fight the Russians. Do you see the action? Of course, it´s your own troops. How does that work, considering the fact that events take place at different parts of the world? This is where the concept Theathers of Action comes into play. Ideally, the game would assess where there´s fighting and then define separate parts of the map to be viewed by the player(s) in order. So first you´d see the Americans do their bombing on in the Pacific, then you´d see a U-boot sink a freighter in the Atlantic, and then you´d see the Russians capture Stalingrad on the Russo-German frontline. The whole sequence of events may be saved afterwards, so you can enjoy your brilliant tactics later on.
Now, the establishment of theaters (deciding which contested tile belongs to which theater) requires some intelligence built into the program which may well be impossible or not feasible from a performance viewpoint. If so, an alternate method would be for the computer to pre-define Theathers of Action during map generation. I leave that for the programmers to decide.

Summarizing, the whole combat system is overhauled and deepened for fanatical players, while easy to grasp for novice/occasional players. The former may play without extensive knowledge of the combat system, where the latter may develop complicated tactics and than save and display their battles on this site and brag that Zhukov would be proud.

Your premise here seems to be that combat in civ is unrealistic. I don't agree that this is a problem. The game is not meant to be a war simulation, or a tactical war game. It is a turn based strategy game centred around empire management. Unrealistic warfare is fine, so long as it is fun and fits the criteria of 'turn based strategy'. Simultaneous moves would be a significant departure from this long held standard.

Also, although the movement of units may not be complicated in the sense that you don't necessarily have to understand it, it would cause gameplay problems. What if two friendly units were going to the same tile on the same turn? Neither would be able to move. As it is now, you aren't inconvenienced by this, because you can see exactly where other units are, and movement is instantaneous.

I agree with you that civ is not a war game pur sang. As a matter of fact, I don´t think it´s just a game, I think it´s a historical simulation. Now, of course I know Sid would disagree and state that gameplay is everything, but I believe that if he wishes to sell copies in the long run, he needs to alter his approach.

With that in mind, I think that in the conquest part of civ, human players can have an unfair advantage over actual historical figures because they can exploit a trial and error methodology (i.e. saving before combat and reloading if it doesn´t work).
That means that as a human player, you can make up (partly) for being bad at managing your empire by perfecting your war tactics, because you can control all the variables. In reality, war is complex and cannot be totally controlled (even if a mighty nation, such as the US, would attack some minor nation, it would still be a perilous venture for them because they wouldn´t be able to predict the exact outcome in terms of amount of casualties).

As for your question about 2 players (humans or computer) who move into the same tile, my proposed solution covers that situation. If they are friends, they just move into the same tile (there can be more than 1 unit per tile, as in previous releases), if they are enemies than combat occurs (see: Encounter Strenght).

Hmm, well I guess that situation would be resolved if 1upt was removed.

As for the point about the human gaining an unfair advantage through exploiting tactics; this can be true to an extent, but the solutions here would be to diminish the importance of tactics, making warfare more strategic, and simply improving the tactical AI. I'm not sure that simultaneous resolution is required to fix the problem; it's only a matter of whether it would be a better solution than working out how to remove the problem within the turn based framework of the game.

(...)to diminish the importance of tactics, making warfare more strategic, and simply improving the tactical AI(...)

You´re right, these would certainly be valid solutions to the human advantage problem as well (even though it doesn´t eridicate the option of cheating, but neither does my solution). I just think the game would have more depth (and be more fun) with simultaneous moves. I guess it´s a matter of opinion.

I would say simultaneous like this certainly allows for a much more strategical combat model. Just the fact that you have to order units to move without seeing the result (do I move my entire army, or just a few units? How many is enough to kill those units? Can I hold this line? What will he hit me with? Do I allow for air support?) changes the game. Of course, this is also a lot more multi-player friendly.

My main question is "will players find it fun?" I'm afraid that you make complex game rules the player doesn't understand the logic behind. While players don't always need to understand specific mechanics, they need to understand the broader rules. Also, I'm afraid of a lot of "the AI is cheating!!"-complaints. And I wonder how fun it will be for the human to win battles, I'm afraid the whole concept is making the player feel more like a spectator. With the current system where the player can attack with one unit, then another and so on gives a lot of "mini-rounds" with lots of rewards. So my questions regarding this model really isn't the model itself. I would really love to playtest it.

A nice benefit is of course the graphics. This combat model allows for extremely much more impressive combat animations rather than the dull 1on1-animations we have now.

On combat and realism: Well of course it's a problem when the game isn't realistic. It doesn't have to be detailed. It might be abstract, but it shouldn't be unrealistic. Spears killing tanks is not a good thing!

And Civ being centered around empire management isn't really true. Civ5 is very much centered around warfare. Also, simultaneous turns(Civ will still be a TBS!) doesn't have to kill empire management at all. Time-wise I believe a model like this could be faster than the Civ5-model (but not as fast as the Civ4-model) giving enough time to make the empire management and diplomacy part interesting and meaningful.

Anyway, I'll think about this suggestion for a while and maybe I'll come back with more concrete opinions on advantages and disadvantages.

(...)I'm afraid the whole concept is making the player feel more like a spectator(...).

This is a very valid point. Personally I would find it gratifying to see my entire army move at once, and my predictions about the opponents moves come true (or not). But I see what you're saying. Maybe this should be researched/polled.

(...)Spears killing tanks is not a good thing!(...)

Well, to be fair, they don't anymore since the release of Civ2 and beyond. But what bugs me is that players can use the exact amount of units neccessary to capture a city, and therefore maximize the effectiveness of their army (so can the AI, but they're not smart enough to do so).

Thanks for you're feedback!:goodjob:

I think SpearMan should always kill tank ;)

I think this idea has alot of merit even though it is a radical departure from civ as we know it. I like the idea of all units fighting at once instead of politely waiting turns.

And at least you'd have a consistent experience between single and multiplayer (no more multiplayer click fests).

I'm thinking about good old Axis and Allies here (for those that know it) - you move all your units then you resolve all the combats (so not for 1upt).

You could do this simultaneously or one player at a time. You could even use it with the tactical combat map ideas that have been floating around - with the unit start locations corresponding to the direction they came from (you could surround your enemies).

But what bugs me is that players can use the exact amount of units neccessary to capture a city, and therefore maximize the effectiveness of their army (so can the AI, but they're not smart enough to do so).

Yes!

It bugs me that if I have 100 tanks and a railroaded nation, I can attack enemy cities one tank at a time. 7 tanks for Berlin, 13 tanks for Amsterdam, 80 tanks left ... etc.

Top Bottom