PCSG2: Lalibela's Eleven Churches

Cam_H

Deity
Lalibela's Eleven Churches

"The highlight of Lalibela is the extraordinary collection of cave- and rock-hewn churches built in the 12th century as an attempt, it is said, to establish a new Jerusalem. The churches are unique in that all 11 of them have been carved downwards, out of the earth itself, and are connected by a labyrinth of channels, bridges and passages pockmarked with troglodyte chambers. Some of the latter are colonised by hermits solemnly reading the scriptures. Others, it soon dawns on you, are the final resting places for the mummified remains of pilgrims past. Lalibela is still very much a sacred pilgrimage site."

Leader:

Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia renamed "Lalibela" after the 12th Century King; Saint Gebre Mesqel Lalibela.

Creative : +2:culture: per city, double production speed for Libraries, Theatres, Colosseums.
Organised : -50% civic upkeep, double production for Lighthouses, Courthouses, Factories.
Oromo Warrior : Musketman replacement. Additional first strike, immune to first strikes, starts with Drill I and Drill II.
Stele: Monument replacement. +25%:culture:.
Hunting and Mining.​

Victory:

All victory conditions other than Domination are available.​

Variant:

Ethiopia must build eleven Christian Cathedrals.​

Game Set-Up:

Rivals:

n.b. Random Personalities;

Cyrus of Persia.
Hatshepsut of Egypt.
Mansa Musa of Mali.
Mehmed II of the Ottomans.
Saladin of Arabia.
Shaka of the Zulu.​

Roster: (as at 16 February)

lymond
vranasm
Brian
nocho
Cam
(Norvin)
(Frag)​

The first turnset of the game will be of 30 turns duration. The next turnset of the game of 20 turns. 15 turns per turnset after the opening two. Players are expected to complete their turnsets within three days of completion of the preceding player's. Swaps and skips are allowed. Players may be removed from the roster. Players may not 'play ahead' until the game is completed.

Start:

Attachments

• Lalibela BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    45.1 KB · Views: 323
Was keeping my eye on the previous game, hard luck on the bad map roll.

If the place is free I'd like to put my name into the ring. I've more time on my hands at the moment.

11 Cathedrals=33 Christian cities, so I see a lot of wars in this one.

Not sure about the effects of random personalities, never played that condition before.

Alright, this one looks interesting. You could add to the variant that Lalibela must actually found Christianity and build the AP. Even more interesting would be to convert all AIs to Christianity.

11 Cathedrals means 33 cities right? That's some serious rexxing.

Start looks modest, but has good cottage possibilities. Hopefully, there is more food somewhere but fps factor into the equation.

Too bad we can't move the scout to the southern PH on the 1t. Looks like there are more FPs to the SW or maybe even directly E. SIP might be okay or a move 1E or 1SE. 1E seems better to keep the hills though.

edit: I opened the save. Definitely 2 or 3 FPs at least in the E. I say we move Scout 2SW to view the area to be sure. I'm thinking settling 1E would be very solid for an excellent bureau cap. Get's rid for some of that brown in the west.

I assume everyone just plays with BUG in CA

Yeah, I have BULL installed in custom assets as well. I don't think it effects things either way if someone doesn't use a mod, as long as the start save isn't from a stand-alone mod.

BULL won't affect games, the reason why I have it sometimes is due to it conflicting with BUFFY for the SGOTMS, have to keep chaniging the .ini files around.

Interesting that my subscriptions page is saying 6 replies and no views. We must all be holding our eyes closed when typing.

I use a custom asset switcher app that ruff_hi created to switch my custom assets folders depending on the mod I'm using (BUFFY, BAT, BUG,other) and I have a little dos executable that switches the DLL file between BULL and vanilla. Really convenient.

great leader
(I love playing Zara Cam_H...you was the one mentioning financial leaders so I wanted to make compromise between cre and fin with willem ;-))

great capital!

I would farm the FP and corn though, then cottage heaven

Just from the looks Oracle is tempting. There is some gambit i tried on lower level with GP from Oracle bulbing Theo, should allow us to get solidly in hands the Christianity.

33 cities yay! will be nightmare late game :). Will see if we don't learn a bit about automation from TMIT in lategame ;-).

I don't see us doing early BW, would delay it probably after Pottery and would SIP.

I use a custom asset switcher app that ruff_hi created to switch my custom assets folders depending on the mod I'm using (BUFFY, BAT, BUG,other) and I have a little dos executable that switches the DLL file between BULL and vanilla. Really convenient.

Ah 5 seconds cut, paste, rename isn't much bother. Just that I forget from time to time.

So it appears the team is set. I say we get the pahty stahted. Cam, you should probably set up a play order. What is the generally turnset length?

I think we can take the first turns step by step. Let's decide on where to move the Scout, then the first player can move it and post a screenshot save for review. Turn 2 we decide if and where to move the settler then execute it.

My vote is to move the Scout 2SW or 1SW/1W to get a clear view of the W tiles. I could see an argument if we settled 1NE though. There appears to be an FP 2N and 2E of the scout, so we don't lose much either way. Another possibility is to move the scout up to the plains hill in the north. It would reveal more tiles.

I took the liberty of trying to predict the fog - screeshot below:

Spoiler :

I could certainly be wrong about some of them but I'm pretty certain we have some flood plains north and west.

hmm SIP brings 11 riverside tiles, which 3 of them should be flood plains (I agree with the fog analysis)
settleing 1NE - I don't see there much added benefit...

I was thinking with the scout move... 2N1W (on the plains hill on river) to see how far we are from coast

if we want to be sure settler could move 1SW and we should see what is in the fog to west and can settle at T1, but I am pretty sure that SIP is pretty strong with all those riverside tiles and hills (and those plains can be later workshopped...)

Order goes something like this;

lymond
TheFragleader
nocho
vranasm
Brian Shanahan
Norvin_Green
Cam_H​

I haven't heard from Norvin, who had the flu a week ago, so he could be dead now ... I might PM him.

lymond - certainly feel free to consult during your 30 turn turnset. 20 for Norvin (or The Fragleader if Norvin R.I.P.) and 15 from there.

I have no issue with SIP on what we know, but agree that having the Scout check out the west first is possibly our best move.

Do you want to take my spot rather than lurking? I'm quite OK with it if you do. :) ... I thought that you said you needed a break from Civ4?!

Yes -we need Norvin for SGOTM13, or else that Phoenix Rising team will hunt us down! :eek:

Do you want to take my spot rather than lurking? I'm quite OK with it if you do. :) ... I thought that you said you needed a break from Civ4?!

Yes -we need Norvin for SGOTM13, or else that Phoenix Rising team will hunt us down! :eek:
No, no, you can't step out before this one has even begun! I'm quite okay with my lurker status in anticipation of SGOTM13. If down the road you suffer from people dropping out I might help out if you want. For now keep a close eye on those Phoenix guys and the T'dr guy for that matter and don't open your book of tricks too much, we of course hope to beat them again next time around! :D:p

And oh, a break from Civ4 will be quite difficult for me I'm afraid, just lowering intensity atm...

Yeah, those Phoenix guys are a shifty lot...ugh...oh wait! :eek:

Spork You! :lol:

Cam, you can't drop out of this! :mad::D

I guess we can wait a bit for everyone to provide feedback. Basically just a decision on where to move the Scout. Once decided, I will move the scout and post a screenshot so we can confirm where we want to settle.

I'd like to add or...well...amend. what I said about moving the Scout. I was initially for moving W of the Settler, but really I think this will only reveal what we pretty much already know- except for maybe a resource on the non-FP tile(s). I don't think the Scout would see further than 1tile. It would be different if there was a hill that way - I often sweep a scout across a settlers path onto a hill. So really it may make sense to move the Scout in such a way that he "adds information" to our initial view.
Moving up to the N PH will reveal a a lot of tiles and possible a mecca - who knows. Moving East probably won't reveal that much and I don't think we want to move far from the hills that we see.

V - My think on 1NE was that although it's pretty much a wash tile wise probably, there would be a little extra commerce on the N PH, bu probably not worth losing a turn over.

Nocho - Feel free to chime in

Top Bottom