Remember the Primarchs (the WH40K-mod for Civ 5)

Skajaquada

Crazy Engineer
Just thought I'd clean this OP up. As of now the work isn't really that active but you never know, Civ-games I can usually take year-long breaks with and then come back. I've also released the units and some extra stuff like the XML for the civilizations and some LUA-files, here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449649 so that anyone can do whatever they want with them.

Overview

It's really suppose to be this take on WH40K like Civ-games are "takes" on history, so the technology-tree will encompass the known eras in WH40K through Age of Progress, Dark Age of Technology, Age of Strife, Crusade Era, Heresy Era, Age of Imperium and Far Future with techs like "Warp Engine", "Las-Weaponry" and "Secondary Heart". The early units would then be the Imperial Guard and later on you'll build Space Marines and Chaos-units. The Orks would be barbarians and Eldar could be city-states. Then the Tyranids would be part of some late-game event. The yield-names would also be switched, most notably Culture would be Dominance and instead of culture-buildings it would be things like Titans and whatnot. The water would also be space and all the boats would be space-ships. The playable civilizations would then be the 18 original Primarchs and their respective Legion, again sort of like starting with Washington in the normal Civ-game.

Features

To keep it simple here are some features I was thinking of getting to making:

* Make the Ork-barbarians seem more Orky like how they're suppose to breed by releasing spores in battle. This is actually done more or less. I just wrote some simple LUA-script to store the starting-position of all barbarians, then when they die or fight I can do whatever either creating new barbarians, baribarian-camps around the starting-position.

* Sorcery, it probably wouldn't be too hard to implement. I think the promotion-system could be changed so there's a timer on some promotions that sounds like spells. Then the sorcery-units could have a timer built-in like a mana-pool for when they're allowed to use the spell-promotion. The UI could also easily be modded to show this meter. I think the fun challenge though would be to make it appear as a new system keeping the original promotions the way they are for wargear for example.

* Turn-dial on units and make the direction a unit is being attacked from matter. I think the actual UI could be borrowed from the bombard-code. I just need to always have a one-tile radius and then some quick function to make the unit turn towards that tile. There are then functions for the unit-objects that can be used in the combat-event that says what direction a unit is facing.

* Fear/morale, it seems somewhat appropriate for WH40K to have some sort of morale-system. One easy way I guess is giving all units a meter that decreases as the unit loses combat or just fights units with a high fear-spread value. Then when the morale-meter decreases beyond a certain point the unit becomes routed and is uncontrollable and randomly moves a tile every turn.

* Corruption, I don't know really... It could be fun if the normal units could be "upgraded" to Chaos-units at some point. Maybe fighting Daemons and other corrupted units could increase a corruption-meter though the ruins-improvement could have a chance of spreading the original corruption. It seems very much like WH40K, some marine is sent to investigate an ancient ruin and get corrupted by some shrine in there. Also, though it'll probably require the DLL I think it could be fun to have the Ruinous Powers spread like religion in Civ 4, or just have it as a yield that lets you build Chaos-units.

* Tyranids, they simply appear late-game to shake things up. Perhaps it's easy to add some checking like if they clear an entire island (planet) it'll spawn even more Tyranids on that planet making it a sort of incentive to stop them.

* Eldar, it's still pretty much a question-mark what interesting thing I can do about them. I think in this they would really fit as city-states AI-wise, that is not expanding and just making strange requests. However the rest I think it could be fun to shake up a little.

Download-link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449649

Original OP:

Spoiler :
This might be a long read so I've attached some pictures of what I've done to keep you interested. They're all from in-game except the last one that I'll talk a little about later.

Background

What I do is that I take units from Dawn Of War 2, assemble them with their mod-tools, export them to 3DS Max, load and save the animations into the scene (note all frames in a text-file), put together textures from the different maps that gets exported from DoW2. Then I import them to Civ 5 the same way as everyone else.

I was thinking it could be a mod where you play as one of the original 20 Primarchs commanding their respective legion. It could be fluff-accurate in the same sense Civ is historically accurate, so there's no need to invent a scenario like a Warp Storm. I was thinking it would play like a normal Civ-game where you start with a Tech Priest as Settler.

I think it's the best way because we don't have models for all the races. I also don't really like scenarios. Then the Orks can be the original barbarians, the Tyranids can be the super-barbarians showing up later in the game. The Eldar can be city-states acting like city-states (acting like Eldar :) ).

I was also thinking the Legions wouldn't be aligned to Chaos or so, it would be more of choices in the tech-tree, which is what the final attached picture is about. They're assembled based on the versions of the Power Armour (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour) with the top left to right being the Mark 4 "Imperial Maximus Suit", Mark 5 "Heresy Armor", Mark 6 "Corvus Armor", Mark 7 "Aquila (Eagle) Armor" and Mark 8 "Errant Armor". Then the bottom ones are Chaos Marines.

It might need some explaining, I saw this Space Wolves veteran-model once with a Chaos Marine-backpack, though that link doesn't really confirm it, I've since imagined the pre-heresy Space Marine looked more like the current Chaos Space Marines. Then the Chaos Legions simply weren't equipped with the newest version of the Power Armour since they were rebelling at the time. Then instead of improving their armour they simply put more fetishes on it to appease the Chaos Gods.

Anyway, those models would be the base for units you get advancing through the tech-tree. It's also fitting since Chaos doesn't have Terminators in DoW2 except a hero-unit that one branch (or an entire tech-tree) would be about advancing better armour and more powerful weapons, while another would be about Chaos. Then it's also fitting the Chaos-weapons look a little older and modified to work better in melee.

Help

What do I need help with? I'm a programmer by profession so I don't need help with that and as I hope the attachments show I don't need help with the models. Though anyone is free to help me with that busy-work if you want to be a part of this. I can also work my way around Photoshop (it does says "Civilization 5" on the Ultramarines-banner :) ) so making icons and loading-screens won't be a problem.

What I would really appreciate help with are those tiny pictures for techs and such. As I said I can probably Photoshop together a loading screen and icons, but I can't draw. I'm thinking there's just not enough pictures to Google from for even a small tech-tree. So can anyone draw WH40K-pictures that would fit in Civ 5? Perhaps I should visit a WH40K-site, though I might do that after a more clear design has been established.

Also if anyone is good with 3DS Max I think it would be really nice with units that I haven't just taken from another game. Like a normal over-sized Titan, or a Space-Race victory to assemble the Emperor Titan :)

One more thing: Music. I can't produce music either, I suppose I can use the background music from any WH40K-game, but I think it would be fun with our own. Just if anyone's able and want to leave their mark.

Tech-tree

Perhaps the main reason I'm posting is to get some ideas for the tech-tree. I was reading another thread about multiple tech-trees in a mod and it got me thinking it could be cool with one advancing the Adeptus Mechanicus, getting better Power Armours and weapons. Then another perhaps advancing research in the geenseed of the Space Marines (each tech is an additional organ :) ), so just advancing the former leads to Imperial Guard with better weapons and tanks, but you need both to field the mighty Space Marines. Then of-course one tech-tree advancing the psykers, leading to Daemons and whatnot.

Another distinct tech-tree I was thinking about, since it's incredible easy to move models around between units and change formation, would be one advancing combat tactics or what to call it. For example advancing all the other tech-trees could lead to pretty uniform squads with ineffective formations, these techs could make that interesting, attaching veterans, dynamic squads with different outfit and better formations. Though I'm not a military-buff or very knowledgeable in WH40K-lore I've pretty much no idea what should be in there, except that one technology is forming the Chapters (leading perhaps to foundling chapter sending their elite home to the Chapter House, different textures representing them is also dead-easy).

Misc

I've also read a thread about layered maps. As you might have guessed I'm hoping this mod will be a little on the complex side, I think it could fit nicely if each Legion started on his own world (perhaps non-playable IG civilizations could populate the bigger maps as well). With the help of scripts and a nice picture, it might even be possible to Virus Bomb a planet locking it down. Then naturally to justify it, if the Tyranids remove all units from a planet their strength increase while still locking the planet.

I'm planning to look into things like that now but it would be nice to know if it's impossible, or rather what's possible? It would be nice with ideas, thinking on what can be done. Like could we have a morale-system, where say if you end a turn with a unit next to another there's a chance the weaker unit will automatically move to flea the next turn? Can you even add columns to the units like "morale" that can be accessed in LUA? Another thing naturally I was thinking about was how spells could work, if it's possible to do the normal slowing of units and such (reduce their moves naturally).

As I said I'm planning to look into things like that now. I don't really need help with the busy work, I'm just interested what anyone's thoughts about it are. Maybe the best help would be reminding about actual game-mechanics that remind about this so I can look into that if they've got scripts in the LUA-files.

Terrain and effects

I'm also planning to make some custom of these. I'm dying to use the tool Werkzeug again or similar for nice textures and normal-maps. I was thinking mostly about just making the textures a little darker, but also nice ones that would make the entire map look like a city-scape covering the entire planet. However I couldn't get the Nexus terrain-editor to work and it seem no-one can yet, so it'll have to wait.

About effects, I might as well ask, will we ever get a tool to make custom-effects, will we have to learn to just use the built-in ones, or can some existing program produce the needed files now? I suppose what I'm most interested in is if anyone know or can guess just how the effects will be added. I feel reluctant to begin making the new models not knowing if they will all need a marker with a special name to show where the effect is added.

Units

There's one thing about the units that's pretty unrelated to the rest. What we have to work with are alot of idle-, melee-, crouch-, aim-, fire-, throw- and reload-animations. There's a lot to use, in-fact there's too much to use. Should fortify be the units aiming or should they be crouching? Should the normal attacks always be melee and bombard be ranged attacks? Then should city-attacks be throwing grenades and shooting or just one?

When I did the Orks I had the aim-animation for when the units fortify and crouch when the all-melee (e.g. two-handed axe) units fortify. I then figured for the rest that the crouch-animation was probably best for all, if someone bombards you or shoots you from afar standing still aiming won't help, but crouching and it looks like you're taking cover behind rocks and whatnot. Of-course if the default attack is ranged I suppose aiming will increase you chances when they advance on you.

The Imperial Guards are a little different, they've got some that stand still and shoot while others shoot as combat ready then run in and stabs with their bayonets. It really looks nice, but I'm thinking that completely separating the attacks to make all normal attacking melee and all bombard is shooting would be best for a WH40K-mod. I'm not really familiar with the Table Top-game but this would really help separating the damages between "melee" and "ranged". Then the attack-city can always be throw grenade and ranged attack for a little variation. I also suppose some combat ready-animations could be shooting for variation as well.

I've also got a video here if you want to see some animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLgSInlnLw

It's pretty laggy because Fraps was giving trouble, but it actually runs pretty smooth with all those units, even though they're 4000 or so polygons each. Another thing that you might note is that the units are a little twitchy, it's because i reduced the frames in the idle-animations without any further processing. The next batch and I'll make extremely short idle-animations going some 10 frames or so, then play the same 10 backwards to make it always start exactly where it ends for a smooth idleness. Shortening the idle-animation seemed to reduce this bug that their attack-animations wouldn't start, but it's not gone completely.

One last thing about units, what do you think of the textures? I know the pre-heresy Space Marines for each Legion have very differently colored Power Armours from the current ones. It doesn't really support this gradual transition I was talking about. I was also thinking about adjusting the colors a little to fit with in Civ 5 and choosing freely between pre-Heresy and current ones so all civilizations will look distinct, I suppose it's al-right. Then also the foundling Chapters for each legion could be a distinct pattern that goes right over the middle like the Novamarines with one half the original color. Of-course Apothecaries and sergeants have their special colors as well. I'm thinking this since the colors will essentially be the team-colors they need to be distinct, or am I taking something away from the fluff? :)

Conclusion

Anway, I think that's that. There's much to discuss and decide yet. I'm not even sure about the name, I was really close to calling it "Beyond the Warhammer", but I don't know, something about Primarchs? Project Primarch? Then someone was shouting "Remember the Primarchs! They watch over us still!" :)

EPIC MOD IS GONNA BE EPIC! holy crap this is the one mod ive been dreaming about for ages and i cant believe someone has already ported all the models over from Dawn of War! youve totally blown my mind O_O

i would definately be interested in helping you out and i have a fair bit of graphical modding experience for civ, so the tech buttons and other icons etc should be easy (im not too shabby on photoshop myself) ive also got 3DSMax 10 and quite a bit of experience in that department too. (mind you ive never successfully made a unit, but ive made a plethora of buildings from scratch)

if you like create a list of icons you need images (with size specifications etc) for and i shall do them :D

(IM SO EXCITED)

Wow, great unit models!

I got tons of tech/unit/building icons in my mod that you can look through and utilize if I can borrow some of your unit models for my mod. :)

Looks good. What do you intend cities to represent in this mod? I don't really see the 'nids plonking down a city and building a monument to the Norn Queens.

Regarding the space marines with chaos backpacks, I'm not as up to date with 40k fluff as I used to be but iirc the space marine backpack isn't supposed to have changed a great deal since it was first created (if you look at the old metal mini's representing early power armour patterns the backpack vents sre still behind the shoulders), CSM power armour has been altered by the power of the warp, leading to the vents being on those long stalks projecting beyond the marines shoulders. I suspect the Space Wolf with a chaos backpack would be one of the 13th company from the 13th black crusade event that GW did a few years back. [/nerd]

There are Capilary Towers that can be exported from DoW2. If the Tyranids are just barbarians I think they can make nice camps, though of-course it doesn't make much sense. I think a challenge here might be making the Ork-barbarians and Tyranid-barbarians attack each-other, just now I searched for "barbarian" in the asset-folder and I didn't find anything conclusive how they work. There's a barbarian civilization as well as a leader defined, the civilization is just set to unplayable and if I set the barbarian leader to any of my civilization the game crashes. The LUA-files just seem to handle the popups.

One work-around might be to make the Tyranids an unplayable civilization, if their cities are Capilary Towers standing in ruins of normal cities, and if they don't have any settlers, it might work. There's just that initial spawn to worry about... Perhaps they should always be there? One city sending out Lictors (powerful enough so you can't scout it out and be rid of the Tyranids too early), then more and more powerful Tyranids, if they manage to swallow one civilization you're screwed. I don't know, just something that makes them feel different from barbarians?

That's really cool about the backpack. Then in that attached picture of the Power Armours I think the first two can just have the normal backpacks representing the normal versions. Then whatever techs leading to Chaos can start to change the armour in a Chaos-like way. There aren't any more helmets than the ones I've used there though so I still think the Chaos-helmet on the first two top left makes a nice pre-Heresy helmet.

Please don't make the nids unplayable. Some of us like Nids and like to play as nids.

if i was to design a mod like this, (which i have thougth about a lot, lol) i would have a few phases of devolopment. the first phase would be the 20 primarchs of the space marines, the second phase would be the Chaos gods and corrupted chapters of space amrines, and the third phase would include the Xenos like orks, eldar, dark eldar, tyranids, tau and necrons etc.

so basically i agree with Jennar on not making some civs (like tyranids, orks and eldar) unplayable, and just give them some unique mechanics and civ traits (for example we could leave barbarians as Orks as well and allow the Ork Civ to be at peace with them, which would give them a great early game advantage). other civs like your Tyranids could have swarming mechaincs that allow limited stacking of some unit combat types; terraforming in the form of spreading synapse and consuming living matter (forests jungles etc) and a steamroller effect that makes it difficult for them to start off, but once theyre going youd have a hard time destroying them.

I think the depth would be a little compromised with more playable races. The way I was thinking was that the different marks of Power Armour could almost signify beginning of eras from Civ-games. This might also permit us to have techs that don't just lead to weapons because there would be some room to fill. Also aren't the Orks born with all the understanding of technology they need? Aren't they with the Eldar pretty ancient races? I don't see how they could advance together with the 20 Legions. Even if we had models for all the races (which we don't, making everything seem incomplete on top) the scale would probably have to be smaller for all races to make it seem believable.

However since the Tyranids basically have a tech-tree already with that chart of their evolving, I suppose that can be used. I remember coming across entries at which turns different barbarians will start to spawn. That can be used for the Orks, but if the Tyranids are a non-playable civilization they might still need a tech-tree. I suppose they can fit as one extra race with only one faction perhaps as a little *extra* :)

:bump: any news Skaj? my offer to help with icons etc still stands :D

It's going forward thank you! :)

I managed to replace the terrain-textures with some from DoW2 using Devliverator's little guide. Sadly it was a dead-end as all their ground-textures have half the resolution of Civ 5's ground-textures. They're really nice actually. Also the terrain-textures spread quite a bit over a lot of hexes and hills, so it would probably be hard making any sort of city-scape or "Forge World" textures that would be meaningful. I was thinking the forrest-sprites could be ruins perhaps.

I don't know, it would be fun to do something with the terrain-textures for that "Total Conversion"-feeling, if just to darken them a little to make the units fit, but I think the bright-blue smurfs fit in nicely already with Civ 5's colorful terrain. I might have one request though: Anyone know how to tyranoform textures in Photoshop? It would be cool if say one continent's textures was replaced with a version that looks infected by the Tyranids, or whatever "Tyrannoform" is :)

BUMP! :bump:

I was planning to update any day now. It's progressing. The Dark Gods speak more clearly every day :)

During the weeks I've posted this idea at a WH40K-community here if anyone want to follow it, otherwise I'll post a summary further down. Civ-wise I've succeeded in changing the terrain-textures (was really easy when I found out Devilerator did that 6 month ago :) ) and re-scaling and using the existing effects for my own units. That's really 100% complete (at-least figuring out how it's done, it might take several months getting in all units with effects). Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ29ADpDixk

That Dreadnought sounds-like (minus the hovering) and uses the effects of the Gunship. The great-person effects will also make nice magic and the blue-muzzle effect from the Mech will make nice plasma, however the lasguns will fire gunpowder. If anyone asks, imagine if you will a super-hot laser-pointer that sears the gun as you fire it, creating something vaguely similar to a gun-powder effect. You're worshipping the wrong Emperor if you think Stormtroopers fire red-beams of light :)

Tech-tree

A little quick about the tech-trees. I was thinking there could be one Adeptus Mechanicus that lets you travel through the technical advancement in the WH40K-universe leading to Power Armours and whatnot. Though only researching here will only lead to Imperial Guard units as well as civiliation structures (I really do want it to play like a normal civ-game and not a all-out war-game) like factories and similar.

Another tech-tree would be advancement in the geneseed, maybe even every tech could be one of the 20 or so additional organs the Space Marines have. I'm not sure how this will work in a Civ-game, but I was thinking the Space Marines could be as they are some sort of tank-units or super-heavy infantry. Please post any thoughts how you think this will work or could work in Civ5 as I've really no experience making mods for Civ-games and balancing them. A little general I was thinking the gas to used to produce the lasguns could be much more common, and maybe the IG require less to build more, than say the adamantium and ceramite to build the Space Marines.

Another tech-tree would naturally be Chaos. I was thinking (though now I've just read it could be hard) that Chaos-buildings or even tech would give negative Happiness to make them a little different. Then instead of Happiness we would call it "Corruption" to make it seem a little more grimdark. If possible it would count up and not down. Then we'll see how that can be balanced, if Chaos Gates spawn Daemons every other turn and yield negative happiness or some Plague Aqueduct (from Nurgle) gives unhappiness but gives a lot of food.

I was also thinking there could be some tech-tree Legion Codex for upgrading units, like the Imperial Guard Commissar isn't really a Adeptus Mechanicus "tech". Maybe these techs could also provide free promotions or how that can work in Civ 5 (I actually haven't played a Civ 5-game in 6 month or more, so I'll have to pick that up soon to do some "research" :) ). A minor thing I was thinking about here could be something about the formations the units use. It won't really be heavy-coding, I was mostly thinking a set of unique units, maybe even tied in to the other techs so I won't have to make one unique-unit for every that already exist. Anyway, inspired by those pre-Heresy pictures with a sea of Space Marines that first units you build could all use the warrior-formation then you research some Advanced Tactics and they spread out more, maybe even build in less numbers to represent more efficient warfare. Naturally one "Unit" of Space Marines would cost less strategic resources.

Then I think there should be another tech-tree, but I've no idea what could be in there. Something comparable to the Philosophy-tech in normal Civ 5? You know if Adeptus Mechanicus gives civilian factories something should give Culture- and Happiness-producing buildings. But I don't know, it might fit in the Legion Codex tech-tree, if Happiness is Corruption it's not so much about entertainment as perhaps Inquisitorial Fortresses. Maybe even Culture could be replaced by something more grimdark?

Social Policies

Naturally something would be changed here. I haven't given it much thought yet but perhaps some "Administratum"-branch with things like "tithe" doubling output of strategic resources or how that works. Another branch could perhaps be "Machine God" giving bonuses to factories and vehicles. Though the Machine God isn't real a happy tech-priest is a more productive tech-priest :)

Buildings

This is what I've been working on the last week. I haven't really given the bonuses any thought, it's mostly just for fun for now. One thing to note is that I was thinking the National Wonders could be for example Battle Barges, Strike Cruisers or even Warp Storms (requires a number of War Rift-buildings to build) but they're all named for your Legion. I suppose that wouldn't be hard, right? Even with the mod-tools we've got now I could just have copies of the techs for all civilization leading to their own National Wonder. I was also thinking unnamed Titans and ships could be buildings, then for example a National Wonder could be "Titan Legion" requiring a number of those, but it might be too many war-structures with barley no civilian structures. On the other hand I'm really hoping for a massive scale, and civilian structures might be easier to just invent names for. Then Titans and whatnot giving morale-promotions could be just right.

Anyway, here it is:

Spoiler :
Great Wonders

Golden Throne - Length of golden age increased by 50%
Chamber of the Astronomican - 2+ move on ocean hexes, city must be near mountain
Ecclesiarchal Palace - 33% culture in all cities
Eternity Gate - Enemies move slower in your land
Ultimate Gate - Enemies do less damage in your land
Luna Labs - 33% more generation of great people
Inquisitorial Fortress - Defensive buildings in all cities are 50% more effective
Imperial Palace - Cities connected to this produce 1 more culture
Forbidden Fortress - Unhappiness by cities reduced by 50%
Fortress Monastery - Indicates capital
Sanctum Imperialis - 2 great artists appear at capital
Imperial Dungeon - Gain a free technology
Temples of Officio Assassinorum - Produce free assassin-squad every 10 turn
Vindicare Temple
Callidus Temple
Eversor Temple
Culexus Temple
Venenum Temple
Vanus Temple
Tower of Heroes - 25% generation of great people
Bell of Lost Souls - New units recvieve morale-promotion
Chapel of Fallen Heroes - Cost of adopting new Social Policies reduced by 33%
Citadel of Kromarch - 50% more defence in this city

National Wonders

Battle Standard - 1+ culture for every 10 Space Marine-unit, free unit Ancient, "revived" when killed
Ark Mechanicus - Omnissiah's Victory, 50% more production in all cities.
Battle Barge - 20+ defence in city and 1 free Space Marine Squad each turn
Spoiler :
Dark Angels - Undying Faith
Emperor's Children - The Agony and the Ecstasy
Iron Warriors - ???
White Scars - ???
Space Wolves - Holmgang
Imperial Fists - Hammer of Terra
Night Lords - Umbrea Insidior
Blood Angels - Bellus
Iron Hands - Fist of Iron
World Eaters - The Conqueror
Ultramarines - Octavius
Death Guard - Reaper's Scythe
Thousand Sons - Scion of Prospero
Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus - Breakspear
Word Bearers - Destiny's Hand
Salamanders - Hammer of Nocturne
Raven Guard - War Talon
Alpha Legion - The Alpha

Apocalypse Class Battleship - 25% defence in city
Emperor Class Battleship - 5% defence in all cities on continent
Oberon Class Battleship - Slow enemies around city
Retribution Class Battleship - 1 free Imperial Guard-squad every turn
Strike Cruiser - 1 free Space Marine-squad every 5 turns
Spoiler :
Dark Angels - Sword of Caliban
Emperor's Children - Andronius
Iron Warriors - ???
White Scars - ???
Space Wolves - Claw of Russ
Imperial Fists - Titus
Night Lords - Covenant of Blood
Blood Angels - Tycho
Iron Hands - Heart of Gold
World Eaters - Blood Shrike
Ultramarines - Vae Victus
Death Guard - Barbarus's Sting
Thousand Sons - Waning Moon
Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus -
Word Bearers - Infidus Diabolus
Salamanders - Forgehammer
Raven Guard - ???
Alpha Legion - ???

Emperor Titan - All built units in this city receive morale-promotion
Battlefleet - Requires battle-ships

Buildings

Company Chapel - 3+ culture
Penitorium - Reduce unhappiness in occupied city and 1+ happiness
Communal Dormitories - 2+ food
Guest Chambers - 1+ science for every 2 specialist
Foundries - 15% production of land units, requires ceramite nearby
Shuttle Silos - Forms trade-route with capital
Teleportorium - 2+ production from sea-resources
Launcher Pads - 12+ defence
Armoury - 15% expereince for all land units
Apothacarion - 50% food for city growth, needed to build Space Marines
Assimularum - 2+ culture and 2+ happiness
Reclusiam - 5+ culture
Refectory - 15% food and 2+ food for worked lake hexes
Oratorium - 2+ science per population
Librarium - 50% science and 5+ defence
Cells - Less unhappiness from population
Hydro-culture - 15% food and 2+ food from worked lake-hexes
Terrarium - 25% food for city-growth and 2+ happiness
Scriptory - 1+ science per population, 1+ culture and 1+ generation of great people
Solitorium- 15% experienc for all land units and 1+ culture
Dungeon - Reduce unhappiness in occupied city, requires diamantine nearby
Generatorum - 25% production
Defence Laser - 10+ defence
Local Defences - 5+ defence
Missile Silos - 15+ defence
Catacombs - 2+ happiness and 2+ culture, doubles gold to enemey if captured
Great Hall - 5+ culture
Barbican 5+ defence and 2+ culture
Schola Progenium - 2+ science from worked jungle-hexes

Chaos Buildings / Wonders

Chaos Gate - 1 free Daemon every turn
Black Crusade 1 to 13 - Chaos Space Marine-units are 4% stronger for each built
Rubric of Ahriman - Free great person
Ascension - Achieve rank of Daemon Prince, can build Greater Daemons
Formless Wastes - Second palace, connected cities produce culture and gold, Requires Ascension
Warp Rift - 5 less happiness, 10% cheaper Daemons
Warp Storm - Requires 10 Warp Rifts, 50% cheaper Daemons, 10 less happiness
Spoiler :
Dark Angels - Perfidian Gap
Emperor's Children - Vortex of Despair
Iron Warriors - Van Grothe's Rapidity
White Scars - Mosaik Sector
Space Wolves - Goridion Prime
Imperial Fists - Storm of the Emperor's Wrath
Night Lords - Ghostmare sub-sector (Syranius Sector)
Blood Angels - Bethsamnel Sector
Iron Hands - Celtor's Flux
World Eaters - The Dark Maw
Ultramarines - Storms of Judgement
Death Guard - Heart of Darkness
Thousand Sons - The Storm of Magnus
Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus - Hive Calatalcus (Orphian Secundus)
Word Bearers - Inferno Reach
Salamanders - Maelstrom
Raven Guard - Tallarn
Alpha Legion - Gates of Fire

Resources

Diamantine
Adamantium
Ceramite
Plasteel
Promethium

These are the ones I've found in the WH40K-resources. Then Plasma Weapons and the lasgun apparently use different types of gas producing the different colors. Some other general ideas is that the strategic resources could be cultists, psykers etc. you recruit from the country-side.

Team-colors and textures

Just a little note on this as I mentioned I wasn't sure what to do in the OP. I've since decided all Legions would basically have three colors: Pre-Heresy, Heresy and Chaos. It's vaguly based on the three distinct colors of the Luna Wolves (though they might have changed color when they changed their name) and the fact that the Dark Angels and Space Wolves that had some traitors as well as came into a lot of contact with the Warp, was the only loyal Legion that changed their colors.

Anyway, I was thinking after a number of Chaos-techs, or a choke point Chaos-tech your Legion would then change color. Again not really something done with heavy-coding but having a new set of unique-units. If it's too much work I could probably be happy enough with pre-Heresy colors on all units and then just Chaos-colors on the Chaos Space Marines. The "problem" I was trying to explain away with this was just then why the Space Wolves and Dark Angels changed colors. Then I found those three colors of the Luna Wolves and it all made sense :)

Attack-animatins and unit combat-values

When I was working on the effects I noticed it doesn't seem possible to have melee-units do bombard-attacks. As I think I said in the OP I was thinking of separating melee-attack and range-attack combat-values by having all bombard-attacks show the ranged-animation and effects. Then say a Dreadnought with power-claws and assault cannon could be a little varied in bombard and melee, while a Space Marine Squad with nothing but Plasma Cannons could be really bad in melee.

However that didn't work so it'll be something more traditional in the Civ-sense. All-melee units can still use a throw-animation on city-attacks too. Plus it'll look absolutly amazing when you click end-turn and the AI starts moving units everywhere and fire, like in that video up there. Otherwise any thoughts here about the game-play? As I've said I haven't modded Civ-games before this and I'm really not that into the gameplay-mechanics.

Conclusion

I think that's that. I can't upload pictures now, but I've been tinkering with 3DS Max and some models and decided to make all MK1-8 Power Armours researchable. Playing as the Primarchs researching all Space Marine-organs and Power Armour MK1-8 feels right you know, like playing as George Washington discovering horseback riding, as a Civ-game should be like :)

EDIT: Attatched some images.

Thanks. I've got one thing to add before I forget it. I've been thinking on and off during the day what Culture could be and that it would be fun if Titans and war-ships were buildings, then it hit me... Dominance. I can simply replace "Culture" with "Dominance" then a set of buildings like Warhound Titan, Reaver Titan, Battle Barge or the various cruisers and battle-ships in the Imperial Navy, will produce "Dominance". Clever, eh? Seriously I'm not trying to pretend I'm not making a WH40K-version of Civ 5, it's not like I want to use the engine to re-create Chaos Gate, maybe later though... :)

Also Gold... There's a form of currency in WH40K however it might be more appropriate if it's manpower or something. I can't really see "Imperials" buying land you'd otherwise get by constructing a war-ship that will generate Dominance, or speeding up construction with. I think I like that, Manpower instead of Gold. Either you take time building war-ships and let the automated factory-temples construct super-soldiers, or you sacrifice Manpower into mindless servitors (cyborg slaves) and into the country-side to secure land. It feels grimdark too with people as currency.

Then it might seem a little silly not changing the rest. I've got this suspicion the hammers already are suppose to be manpower, but I don't know? Power? If it's not too generic. What else will power the factories? I mean everything is probably pretty automated in the year 40 000. Then they would just need the strategic resources and Power. Otherwise I suppose Production is pretty good already, then you have to think about what improvements and such will give bonuses to it. It might not be important to change the rest, but I really like Dominance instead of Culture :)

dude... that video is epic :D fantastic job on all the art and animation stuff. the darker terrain is really fitting too :)

your tech tree ideas are interesting, but im not sure of the geneseed concept, it sounds bt confusing, maybe you could elaboriate on this a little?

the building list is also looking good :) and i REALLY like the idea of replacing culture with dominance, gold with manpower (or maybe requesition like they call it in Dawn of War) and Production with Power. very fitting :)

In WH40K the Space Marines aren't just 3 meters tall, they've got 20 or so additional organs, it's why we call them super-soldiers. I'm not making this up, they can spit acid, breath in any atmosphere, have a secondary heart, secondary lungs etc. This research was also mostly conducted by the Emperor while the Adeptus Mechanicus, the tech-priests of Mars, supplies the Imperium with all the war-ships and more mechanical technology. The Imperial Guard are also the soldiers recruited in billions from all the planets while the Space Marines number in perhaps houndreds of thousands.

Gameplay-wise I was thinking that you're playing as "the Imperium", or part of it controlling that Legion, so in some ways you're not limited to either Imperial Guard-units or Space Marine-units. Even-though lore-wise I don't think the Primarchs had anything to do with the geneseed-research as I said it'll be like George Washington discovering horseback-riding. It'll "fit" in it's own way. The biggest problem is just how to balance the Space Marines and Imperial Guard. They could be separated with one tech-tree being just Adeptus Mechanicus-techs while another one perhaps Adeptus Astartes allows you to buld Space Marines. Though I was thinking they would have to be combined, like research some "Portable Plasma Reactor" (Adeptus Mechanicus) and you can build some factory and a Imperial Guard-tank, then you need to research "Secondary Lungs" (Adeptus Astartes) to get some Space Marine-unit. Presumably he needs four lungs to carry his weapon or armour.

I'm not sure how this should be balanced. With the better SDK it might be possible to have two types of research-points, one for either tech-tree, but now I think both will be used for the same, so it'll just be like a really big tech-tree in Civ 5.

Anyway, I like Requisition instead of Gold. I was thinking perhaps Food could be requisition or something, but it would probably kill the feeling you're not always playing militaristic. I mean I really don't want cities to be military-bases... But Food for Food and Gold as Requisition fits nice. I think they originally got it from the WH40K tabletop-game where you balance your armies with requisition-points. There is also some resources on the various power-plants in WH40K that will make nice factories generating additional Power.

Top Bottom