Sneaks

Brooklyn Bum
Custom Notifications Mod
Version 3.0
by Sneaks and alpaca.

Version 2.0 Available on Mod Browser as Custom Notifications
Version 3.0 Available on the CivFanatics Database

Notification Options

Creates a Notification Options menu allowing the user full control over what Notifications should display.

Improved Events
Adds 2 custom notifications to the game:
City Growth - Notifies the player for every single population growth in their cities, even after 5 citizens (when vanilla stops).
Culture Growth - Notifies the player for every tile that culture grabs within the empire.
Image Below:
Spoiler :

Version Update History:
Spoiler :

Version 3
Resolved compatibility issues with March 1 Patch
Added capacity for popup notifications.
Version 2
Added several new Custom Notification Icon Hookup features
Corrected a few Boolean bugs
Altered the way in which Custom contexts are loaded into the panel to speed up processes

Attachments

• improvednoti1.jpg
    improvednoti1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 7,026
  • improvednoti2.gif
    improvednoti2.gif
    204.3 KB · Views: 7,869
  • improvednoti4.gif
    improvednoti4.gif
    95.8 KB · Views: 6,762
  • improvednoti3.gif
    improvednoti3.gif
    175 KB · Views: 6,669
Awesome mod sneaks. Using this mod will it automatically add an option for notifications that other mods add in?

Only if they use the same method. Thus why we need a standard

More or less. This is a more modular approach, which allows multiple mods all to have their own custom notifications, where Improved Notifications really did not have compatibility.

But not that useful until dependencies work, as you can't have several mods all including it and still work, I assume... and if a mod 'using' it is used without having this mod in as well, the notifications just don't work.

But not that useful until dependencies work, as you can't have several mods all including it and still work, I assume... and if a mod 'using' it is used without having this mod in as well, the notifications just don't work.

Actually, not entirely true.

As long as the mod using this notification system follows the steps outlined in my other post, the notifications will show regardless of whether the Notification Options piece exists or not. The entire system is designed so that it works in addition to the notification system, and not in conflict to.

So, if a player was using Mod A, Mod B, and this mod, and all 3 used this way of adding custom notifications, all of them would show up in the notification options menu, and everything would work together.

If that player then disabled this mod, Mod A and Mod B would continue to work just fine, with notifications appearing just as they always would.

The only real issue would occur if multiple mods all included the Notification Options addin, and even then, as long as they all set VFS to true, all the copies should simply overwrite eachother, still leaving only one instance running.

This is because this manner of Notifications does not assume there is an Options menu. I actually created a special NotificationOptionsAddin check just for this instance. If the game sees that there is no Options menu, it doesn't even worry about checking for visibility.

More or less. This is a more modular approach, which allows multiple mods all to have their own custom notifications, where Improved Notifications really did not have compatibility.
Gotcha!
Nice kinda_of_a_workaround, btw.
In a sense, you're trying to enforce Alpaca into a modular approach for that specific feature. An indirect process which he actually started with the DiploCorner addin, too!

What were Devs thinking when they looped us into such extra-work to find *our* solutions? Hurry up the DLL source and all that re_coding acrobatic stuff will be much less complex.
One more reason why i'm holding tight on the LeoPaRd MOD core lua routines, functions & essential components until i DO have some solid base of reference into_with *THE* stable release.
Most moddable Civ version ever? Not yet. Well - not entirely true, yet.

Well, to be honest, a lot of this won't matter with full DLL access, since the idea of mods working together will probably be quickly dashed.

Well, to be honest, a lot of this won't matter with full DLL access, since the idea of mods working together will probably be quickly dashed.
I seem to remember something being said about modularity even with source modding... maybe they'll have a way to hook external DLL entrypoints to specified extension points or something.

Given the extensive features added by using such modular approaches it would be "Terribly Silly" for an official release (through the usual patches) to simply dismiss whatever modders could come up with.

As I recall, v1141 brought back a linking function to some earlier use of key LUA library elements. So there is hope yet for Firaxis devs & staff openness to *our* side of the common coding equation.
Here, crossing fingers.
;)

...since the idea of mods working together will probably be quickly dashed.

Funny you should mention it, i've always been "prudent" with any co-operative re_re_releases of similar MODs since it can introduce flaws & delays in the intent or principles of original authors. Indirectly, the MOD'Mods are copy/paste versions with a few enhancements here & there while basic functionality remains. Look who's talkin' :)... i too actually used-borrowed-exploited Roger Bolsius' lua_work on my own Z-Advisors.

In-Game Browse Mods is almost a tricky mess of 500+ already, imagine if repetitive fusion of people's stuff becomes the norm. Search function would become quite essential just to find the "right-real" McCoy of a needed Mod! :D

speaking of full .dll access.... has there been any indication recently about whether or when we are going to get it?

speaking of full .dll access.... has there been any indication recently about whether or when we are going to get it?
No new info recently, last clarification was that they plan to provide the necessary stuff for source modding, including rebuilding the game DLL, with no timescale yet determined.

Absolutely. Every and anything I make is free for everyone to use. I appreciate when I am given credit, but even if that doesn't happen, as long as its to improve the fun of someone playing, its cool with me!

This looks great, I will start using this for with my new game today.

A question: is it possible to filter all types of notification when they refer to an unmet player? I usually play Large Continents with 15 civs and I get a lot of the "An unmet player denounced an unmet player" type of notification during the early game. I didn't see from the OP that this was in currently, I think this could be a nice addition...

I can look into it, but I am not sure if it is possible without overwriting and redesigning how each notification fires.

Top Bottom