The best things about CiV

jayjay77

Chieftain
I felt so stupid, i bought a new computer pretty much just for this game (ciV) :( installed it and found it to be the stinking turd we have all discussed :mad: This has allowed me at least to return to cIV and play it on high end specs with the best mods for bts.

Im now playing a giant world map on rise of mankind a new dawn and loving it, creating my western European empire with the Portuguese. started with 22 civs who knows how many by the end with the rev mods, and for the first time i can do it with my great new computer. SO thank you CiV!!!

Things i miss, 1upt, im back to the old SOD, but at least the AI knows what to do. Diplomacy is back, i can make friends, the russians are my buddys, this never happens on cIV, but i miss the give me 10 turns to prepare for war. Ranged bombardment, now the archers are back to be useless except for city defense. No more hexes but hey its not that big a problem. couldnt care less about the city states. And everything is better than ciV.

So what will you miss when you switch back to cIV? or what are you missing after leaving uninstalling ciV. If you do like ciV then thats cool just many people dont.

I never uninstalled Civ 5 and quite frankly I think it's better than Civ 4 not counting mods. However when you play mods as ROM and Rhyes I agree that they do bring alot enjoyment. I do consider them as seperate games and I see no reason to uninstall anyone as they both give me enjoyment.

What I do miss when I play Civ 4: BTS: (any mod) is 1upt; how border works; diplomacy ( yeah I think diplomacy is to easy in Civ 4 and Civ 5 diplomacy more feels like you are dealing with real opponents); economy (in Civ 5 economy is everything); hexes.

In a vacuum, I can say that I had some fun with the tactical combat. By in a vacuum, I mean disregarding how terrible the AI was at it, and how it breaks the rest of the game.

Limited resources! that to me is fantastic...I hate SOD....and no ranged units....I want CIV V rules with a working AI...thats all I need,.,.
slo

The fact that I used the money saved up for the game to buy FM11 instead, that is the best thing for me.

The best thing about civ5 is that it got me to these forums where I learned about EU3.

IMHO the only major thing worth salvaging from Civ 5 is the combat system.

And that's debatable, judging by the negative comments regarding 1UPT on these forums.

Probably a better system to go for would a simplified Total War type combat resolution system.

The rest of Civ 5 is a rather shallow mess of clearly not playtested, or even thought through, failed ideas.

I forgot limites resources.

Civ4 with the limited resoruces! that gets rid of the SOD (well at least makes it less doomy) but we dont have to use 1upt. everyone wins.

This must be modable for

Hard to find any advantages in Civ 5, but maybe it's the limited resources.

I'm not fan of the battle system. It's only redicilous that there are AA and anti tank troops, but only one unit is allowed in hex. Well, these are not war games and I avoided wars in civ 4 also. SoD wouldn't be a problem if you could cut it's supply.

I felt so stupid, i bought a new computer pretty much just for this game (ciV) installed it and found it to be the stinking turd we have all discussed This has allowed me at least to return to cIV and play it on high end specs with the best mods for bts.

Im now playing a giant world map on rise of mankind a new dawn and loving it, creating my western European empire with the Portuguese. started with 22 civs who knows how many by the end with the rev mods, and for the first time i can do it with my great new computer. SO thank you CiV!!!

Things i miss, 1upt, im back to the old SOD, but at least the AI knows what to do. Diplomacy is back, i can make friends, the russians are my buddys, this never happens on cIV, but i miss the give me 10 turns to prepare for war. Ranged bombardment, now the archers are back to be useless except for city defense. No more hexes but hey its not that big a problem. couldnt care less about the city states. And everything is better than ciV.

So what will you miss when you switch back to cIV? or what are you missing after leaving uninstalling ciV. If you do like ciV then thats cool just many people dont.

I don't miss 1UPT, I find it very clumsy and awkward. A system which frequently forces your units to embark onto the ocean to move around allied units seems very poorly thought out. A nice solution might be if you could garrison multiple units in a city, but only the strongest unit's defensive bonus would be applied to the city. This way you would not need units occupying squares just for the sake of having somewhere to put them. Don't see any reason why civilian units shouldn't stack btw.

I do miss the option to have a 10 turn delay before declaring war, however. I also miss the AI being perceptive enough to notice when you're amassing units by their borders, even if they occasionally confuse other civs borders with their own.

Mixed feeling about ranged bombardment. On one hand it is a more realistic and on the whole, a more preferable system to suicide catapults. On the other hand, it does seem a little... overpowered. I think there should be more ways of defending against ranged attacks.

I got a new CPU about 2 weeks ago mainly for my chess programs. The XPS 17 I have now is an absolute beast. But CiV runs beautifully and looks just amazing with the 1 GB GFX card and the souped up processor, except for the numb-brained AI, I'm actually enjoying this game quite a bit.

So far the only thing I've missed is the irregular borders (even though just being able to buy hexes made it a bit iffy anyway in Civ5)

Quantified strategic resources, the option to REX/ICS if you want to yet you don't have to and can still win, RANGED BOMBARDMENT, smaller civs can still compete if they build national wonders, city states, no more bloody transports, Ironclads remain useful for defending your coasts for the remainder of the game because they are as strong as destroyers, units don't automatically die if they lose a battle, streamlined promotion system, the social policies system, and many other things.

I like that you cannot insta-raze cities.
In Civ IV it is too easy to stop a cultural victory by sneaking a coastal cultural city without chance of keeping it.

I like that you cannot insta-raze cities.
In Civ IV it is too easy to stop a cultural victory by sneaking a coastal cultural city without chance of keeping it.

+1

Forgot to mention that :D

Oh and I also forgot to mention cities that can bombard and have health points.

Im now finally having some fun with CiV using megamod... The all in one Alpha crashed me out all the time.

Other good things: you can rush-buy with gold throughout the whole game. In Civ4, you could only rush-build with gold using a particular civic, I think it was universal suffrage or democracy or some nonsense like that.

This compensates slightly for the slower build times in Civ5.

And I always HATED using slavery to rush-build things because you had to min-max and calculate whether the drop in population/increase in unhappiness outweighed the benefits of immediate construction.

So yeah all you 'hardcore gamers' (LOL) ... I bet you preferred the old whip and chop because of its mathematical precision :D

Top Bottom