RR11 - Takeshi's castle

r_rolo1

King of myself
Ok, time for another rumble in the Earth 1000 AD map ...

Earth 1000 AD

Japan

Win by conquest
Spoiler game start screen :

This is most likely a easier task than the previous game ( linked for reference and images of the rest of the world in game start ... they are the exact same ) in spite of being with a suposedely bigger handicap... and we have some interesting quirks to our task

Ok, on some newer pics:

This is what we get in t0:
Spoiler :

Relations with China and Korea, both already in war ( with the Mongols ) ...

Going to WB ...
Spoiler :

China is big and it is heavily advanced ( the more advanced civ in the world at this point ... they even know gunpowder ), but has a paper-thin army ( no cities with more than a token archer as defender and no SoD anywhere ) and issues with dealing with the northern keshiks that are still in the desert to the north.

Korea has only 2 cities, but has a more solid defense per city than the Chinese ( 2 archers per city ) ... hence my surprise to see them overrun by the mongols.

To the south, and not visible, the Khmer are still lurking in the shadows, but they rarely are a minimal threat to anyone.

So, the common wisdom would be tackling China before they can deploy muskets in garrisons, right ? Well, the devs that designed the BtS version decided to curve ball that a little since the vanilla version ( where Koreans were represented by a single barb city )
Spoiler tech tree :

Spoiler military tab :

Note that I'm not exactly complaining about the techs we start with, especially after making a game with the Incans ;) Hey we can even get Lib out of the bat ( or oracle it if we want to :D )

The issue is that we have only one galley and no means of making more until we get Sailing ( that should be our #1 tech IMHO ). This waters down heavily the prospect of a surprise tour de force on China ( it does not make it unviable, though ) ... it would require to move the galley we have to the south, load 2 samurai drop them in the nearest chinese city, come back and bring more troops ... and pray for no musket whips on China :/ But even with this dangers, I think that we need to tacke China now or sooner, because it will not get easier with time.

My broad plan for world conquest would be:

- Tacke China ASAP and gobble what can be taken before our offensive breaks. Repeat when possible until there is no more China

- Take Korea down

- Take Khmer

- Take India

- Somewhere near here make a invasion to Central America and tackle Monty out + the barb cities. Send some pocket change to finish the Incans

- Attack Saladin, that should still be a big menace ( those Christian and Muslim shrines are extremely profitable ).

-Europe, here we go ;) Peter should be the worse menace at this point, most likely the AP controller and huge as hell ( with a likely cohort of vassals ), but by that time I'm pretty sure we can use brute force

Ok, on more concrete concerns:

- Techwise IMHO we need to go to Sailing ASAP ( 4 turns @ 100% ). After that ... Guilds would be tempting, but we don't have horses :( Anyway , it does not make a lot of difference with a 40 :science: /turn tech rate ... it will take forever to get anything besides Sailing by the time being ( maybe Alpha would be a good choice ? 11 turns @ current tech rate ... or trailing slowly to Calendar . We have dyes in Hokkaido and Silk already inside our borders ... not that we need more happiness now )

In builds ... well, we need a extra galley fast. There is a lot of unimproved tiles as well and we have 2 workers. We only have a library and we need one more lighthouse. More troops would be needed as well ... and this with 3 cities with a combined hammer power or 5 :cry: We will need ...

Civic changes . We are running HR/Vassal/baseline in the rest . IMHO we could do a double swap to Bureau/Slavery in 1 turn of anarchy ( or you want Pacifism ? lol ). Sold to Slavery ( we really need it with this hammer deprived start ), not so sure about Bureau. Feel free to drop input.

Diplowise ... OB ASAP with both China and Korea. Trade routes bait ... after that it depends of who barges out first. We should see Mongols, Indians and Khmer soon enough.

Roster

r_rolo1
Thy_Spellcraft
nocho
Brian Shanahan
Liquidated
lymond

Alternates
-----------
-----------

P.S A CFC cookie for the first poster that knows from where the thread title comes from. Double cookie if it is old enough to have actually seen it :D Triple cookie if it actually understands the relation of the thread's title with the game we are going to play :devil:

Well for the cookie: Takeshi's castle is a game show big in Japan, where the contestants have to negotiate a difficult obstacle course, usually over water, in order to press a big red button at the end. Fastest time (or farthest along if no finishes) wins. Do reruns on Living Channel count as watching it? I'm probably old enough but didn't have only Bog 1 & 2 as a child.

I'm definitely up. And I agree with rolo on his analysis. We need land fast, and we need sailing to get at that land. Conquest is much stronger in this situation than settling.

:lol:

I think that is good enough for the cookies , atleast the first two ( I actually seen the original ones dubbed in Portuguese in the early 90's :old: ). The third is not as criptic as that : it was common to see no one to win the final challenge ( in fact I was surprised to see in the wiki that someone actually won the game :faint: ) to the point that the title in some countries was Never say Banzai ( aka Victory ) :D

I sincerily hope we can win the game, but it is definitely harder than in the Vanilla version of the map. The existance of Korea and the lack of Sailing does not help a single bit...

Yeah the English version I see often cuts out the castle rush at the end, so I had to go to the wiki to see that bit. It's always nice when the pretty ones get dumped in the water though.

On winning, we'll if we believe very hard and hope a lot

We'll get nowhere, this'll take focus, hard work and self-disiprine.

Oh, I was talking about the water cannon ( and later laser ) show down battles while driving the armored cars :D

Like here . Pretty unwinnable :D

Anyway IMHO things will shape up from the moment we capture the Chinese coast. After that they can't touch our base islands or cut the reinforcements convoys. But we will surely have issues marching mainland: we have no siege units and they can whip pro muskets ...

The good thing is that the mongols are there to help us :D

Most cookies are hostile to liq so pass for sure!

That tech tree is super odd... no sailing?

But other than the fact you posted screens with no resource tags on.... sounds good.

Sign a liq up!

edit: wow that game show rocks!

Cheers!
-Liquidated

Okay, I'll bite again. :)

Just not sure whether I'll be happy to play turnsets towards the end of the game given the conquest VC. :p Vassals are on, right? :please:

Why? If you want to conquer every city in the world, I can give you that pleasure :D

@ Liq

I posted the military bubbles because Japan is completely cramped with resources and the blobs would clutter heavily the view. Give me a sec and I'll post the bubbles

Edit:
Spoiler :

:lol:

I sincerily hope we can win the game, but it is definitely harder than in the Vanilla version of the map. The existance of Korea and the lack of Sailing does not help a single bit...

On Monarch? Maybe you can up two difficulty levels and give AI fighting chance?

Wow you aren't kidding about bubbles! Lawrence Welk would approve!

Pigs even? :eek:

As for bureaucracy, if it costs no extra turns, do it. gonna need all the hammers we can get and those 3 towns we have are all stellar.

Cheers!
-Liq

Maybe this evening I can give a stare at this scenario myself, but can you say something about available infra in the cities? Maybe I missed it in the amply documented opening post, but I saw only something about a library. Specifically, do we have barracks? Obviously we'll need them if the campaign is imminent. If we don't I guess we can whip them quickly as an aggressive leader. So slavery indeed definitely. Not sure about bureau. If we were in "baseline" legal civic (barbarism?) then sure (as we should have with the Incans :mischief::p) but maybe vassalage is rather useful for the extra XP and the free units. If we'll be near-permanently warring it makes a lot of sense really. Sailing first is paramount indeed.

I've been peeking in here regularly but wasn't sure if yall were really hiring. Looks fun. Reminds me a little of the RFC Japan start. I'm in SGOTM13 as well, but I think I can find some time for this and Lalibella since the pace is more casual. Heck, Brian, how many do you have going on? (I loved to do an FFH one day, by the way)

Anyway, if yall will have me, I'm game. Now I know where Rolo's been hiding.

Four or five, plus a fairly involving game in FM11, but then I've no job and not the money to enjoy the free time drinking.

Top Bottom