Imperium Offtopicum: Colonialism

MaxaTheGreat

Feel Prussian Iron!
Imperium Offtopicum: Colonialism

Link to Claims Thread

The year is 1500 AD. 8 years ago, Christopher Columbus was the first european to set foot on the New World, at the Caribbean. As a result, there is almost endless amount of treasure there. Explorers are already setting up small villages there, but they aren't quite colonies suitable for exploiting these riches. Lead your nation through thick and thin, build colonies to exploit riches, and become the most wealthy and powerful nation in Europe!

The Rules

Note: all rules are subject to change, so please keep an eye out for them. Thanks.

House Rules

1. Do not flame, troll, or personally insult any other player OOC or IC. At all. You may comment on certain things negatively, but don't take it further than that.
2. Stay on topic. Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT and have nothing to do with your personal religious/political beliefs.
3. Your posts should actually consist of something relevant to your nation and not just one-liner comments. Do not spam.
4. Long diplomatic discussions belong to the realms of Social Groups or visitor and private messaging, not the Game Thread.
5. No powergaming. By definition, powergaming is making your country surpass every other country by all terms including armed forces, technology, etc.
6. The GM is supreme. He reserves the right to change game rules, ignore or modify orders, impose restrictions on players, disband player nations, and so on.
7. Above all else, RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS.

I'll usually warn players first if they break the rules. If they break the rules repeatedly, then I'll apply this:

1st Strike: Player is suspended from the game for one turn.
2nd Strike: Player is suspended from the game for three turns.
3rd Strike: Player nation dissolved, and the player banned from ever rejoining.

I reserve the right to ignore this policy for players who really piss me off, and kick them out of the game instantly.

Inactive players (AWOL for more than 3 turns) risk facing the Wrath of the GM (WoG) ie having their nation disbanded. These players can rejoin the game, but their old territories won't be restored to them; they'll start off with 10 claims like every new player.

Joining the Game

To join the game, first choose a nation name and colour to represent your realms. Perhaps tell us a bit about your nation; your government, policies, history, and so on. Claim any ten provinces in mainland Europe or the Mediterranian Islands, with the condition that they either have to be contiguous or on the coast. You need a coastal province!

Updates

IOTC is a turn-based game. Each turn ends and a new turn begins with an Update. Updates will be rather irregular, but I will never update within 24 hours of a previous update. So, it is best to get your claims and orders in the first 24 hours of the turn.

I will make another thread, a claims thread, for claims and any orders and important announcements you want to post publicly. If there's anything really important you don't want me to miss come update time, post it in that thread. There is a zero tolerance policy on any diplomacy or OT talk in the Claims thread.

Roleplaying

Roleplaying is the essence of IOT. It’s how your nation develops. It’s how alliances are formed and broken. Roleplaying is very encouraged. Feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting and the etiquette listed above.

Expansion
There are two ways to expand:

Europe: If you are not at war, you can peacefully claim FIVE provinces each turn. If no other nation claims the same territory, they will be annexed to your empire on update. They must be next to your own territories or on the coast. Note you cannot expand in this manner in wartime.

The New World: You can use your settlers you gained in previous turns to colonize territories. Settlers cost 3 Food of investment. Colonies must be next to your own territories or on the coast, just like the European claims. The amount of Food needed for settlers becomes much higher (20 Food) and already finished settlers cannot colonize during wartime.

If there are competing claims, you can either discuss it amongs yourselves, or take it to the World. I will call a vote of all the nations, and I will award the territory to the nation which receives the highest number of votes.

Note: all one-province islands still cost 1 settler to colonize and 1 expansion point to expand to (If in Europe), unlike most IOTs.

Colony Upgrades
Your colonies can be upgraded to make more Gold or Food through buying these:

Trading Post: Cost: 4 Gold. Can be built anywhere where there is not a upgrade. Modifiers: +1 Gold in the colony it's in.
Farm: Cost: 3 Gold. Can be built anywhere where there is not a Food Resource or other upgrade. Modifiers: +1 Food in the colony it's in.
Port: Cost: 5 Gold. Can be built anywhere on the coast where there is not a upgrade. Modifiers: +1 Gold in the colony its in, +1 Bonus in a fish resource.

Upgrades will be shown by a square(Trading Post), X(Farm), or Circle(Port) on the colony.

War

Combat is resolved by a Random Number Generator, or RNG, which will generate a number from 1 to 100. The side, that ends up with the highest number, wins.

Food
Food is used to create settlers for colonizing the New World. You must invest 3 Food into settlers for every settler! You can also turn Food into Gold at a ratio of 2:1 (However you cannot use 1 Food to make 0.5 Gold, unfortunately.) Any Food not invested in settlers or turned into Gold will disappear into the bellies of your people, as this currency cannot be banked.

Gold
Gold(or G, whatever you want to call it.) is used as the real currency, which is invested in armies, colony upgrades, and other things. Resources in the New World are where your money comes from. See the Resources topic.

Attacking with Armies

You can buy armies at three different levels:
Tier I: Cost: 1 Gold. An average army, not too shabby, but not a very skilled one. Modifers: None
Tier II: Cost: 3 Gold. A more skilled army, albeit more expensive. Modifiers: +5 bonus when attacking.
Tier III: Cost: 7 Gold. A top tier army, and is good to have despite it's price. Modifiers: +12 bonus when attacking.

All armies are pooled and can attack anywhere. The only limitation is how many you have. PM me what armies are attacking where so I can figure out who wins.
You can use multiple armies to attack a single province. This will give you extra RNG rolls for your attack, and I will use the highest of the rolls to determine the battle result. You can also launch a joint-assault on a particular province with your allies (tell me who the province is going to, or I’ll give it to the country which gets the highest roll).
Invading: If your enemy has no armies to defend a province, the province gets a 25% penalty, and a 50% if it's a colony. This means it is important to have armies, otherwise your colonies could get gobbled up quick.

You can also perform "blitz" attacks where you attempt to seize an enemy province and then use it to attack the next province in. Of course, things would not always go according to plan, and I'll adjust your attack plans accordingly.

Defending

Any army not used in attacking gives you extra RNG rolls when you’re defending a province. So, if you have 2 unused armies, I generate two numbers instead of the usual one at that province, and the same thing with another one, and the highest roll will be used to calculate the battle result.

Military Aid

Any nation can donate their armies to another nation, in wartime or peacetime, in secret or in public. Either way I have to know about it. It will automatically go to defence unless the recipients specify they want to do with it. Gifted armies must either be in used the turn it is gifted or in the turn immediately after. If the former, both the amount and the donor can be kept secret, but if the latter, I will post the amount (but not the donor) publicly in the update.

Resources

There are several resources that offer Food and Gold. Only Gold resources and Trading posts give Gold, and any colony that doesn't have a Food resource or Farm gives 0.5 Food.

Food:
- Wheat is sand and makes 2 food.
- Coastal fish is light brown and makes 1 food.
- Potatoes in Orange make 3 food.

Gold:
- Diamonds in Sky Blue give 3 Gold.
- Gold in Yellow give 2 Gold.
- Furs in Brown give 2 Gold.
- Tobacco in Green give 2 Gold.
- Silver in Grey give 2 Gold.
- Sugar in White gives 1 Gold.
- Spices in Red gives 1 Gold.

Accesing the Pacific
You'll notice that there isn't a path from the Atlantic to the Pacific on this map. As strange as it is, I won't let your ships move under South America or move through the islands in the far north to the Pacific because of this. Instead, you must build a port on a Pacific province.

IMPORTANT - Rule Changes

None yet :)

The Map of the Atlantic:

Attachments

• IOTCU.PNG
    IOTCU.PNG
    161.1 KB · Views: 310
reserved-

Sign-Up is OPEN

The game will start in about a week or so. You can sign up after the game has started, but you won't get any extra territorial claims.

Nations of the World

EUROPE

Scotland-Double A

Portugal-Mad Man

Italy-Sonereal

Ottoman Empire-Omega124

Mohad Empire-Duke Blackstone

Denmark-ZeletDude
Monarchic Union. more info.

The Netherlands-NarutoAvatarDBZ

Sweden-Farsight

Empire Of Prussia-Domination3000

Poland-IG11

DEFUNCT

These nations have ceased to exist

Spoiler :
None yet :)

Game Information

Suspended Players:

1st Strike:

2nd Strike:

3rd Strike (Banned):

List of Updates

Update 0
Update 1

Greater England

*More Information coming later*

Also, coloring in your map is weird.

Attachments

• IOTC.png
    IOTC.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 469
Greater England

*More Information coming later*

Also, coloring in your map is weird.

I'll fix that. But I forgot to put Scotland's claims in :sad:

Because they're the same claims.

I'll fix that. But I forgot to put Scotland's claims in :sad:

Because they're the same claims.

Who's Scotland? The only person who tried to join in this thread was Sonereal. Anyways I'll join as

Name:Portugal
Color:Purple
Claims:IOTC.png

The reason it's hard to color in the map is because for some reason the quality is lowered when I put it on photobucket.

Any solutions?

Who's Scotland? The only person who tried to join in this thread was Sonereal. Anyways I'll join as

Name:Portugal
Color:Purple
Claims:

Double A is Scotland, he had to leave right after though.

The reason it's hard to color in the map is because for some reason the quality is lowered when I put it on photobucket.

Any solutions?

Don't use photobucket? I just attach the images.

I have an attachment, but how do I get it to be full size? It just appears as a thumbnail.

@Portugal:

Although those islands were pretty much Portugese during this era, Please move them to the mainland/Mediterrianian.

Attachments

• colonialism.PNG
    colonialism.PNG
    159 KB · Views: 263
Open up the "Manage Attachments" thing when you got to Advance Edit on your post and then drag the file name to the text box. There'll be a link. Highlight the link, cut it, and then insert it with the

I'm sorry, but it does include the Azores. If you want it so much, you can colonize it come game time.

@Sonereal:

Ok, I got it. The main map is now clearer and should be easier to fill in.

Top Bottom